Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Apparently a standalone Dota is in beta

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaCQBv7I ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTLgQbYVISA&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5WzuZft ... ature=fvwp

The animations are pretty amazing looking, actually, very detailed and smooth. There are a bunch of videos on Youtube, this actually looks pretty cool.
The first video is the new Pudge, the second looks like Death Prophet, the third is mostly item menus and layout and stuff

Dele

Liturgist
Tried it and didn't like it, but i don't like dota either

I got a few invites, pm me including your email if you want to try it out.

Draconis

Liturgist
I got the beta, I had never heard of it before other than it was a DotA clone so I expected a Demigod kind of game.

But no. HOLY SHIT ITS A COMPLETE GOD DAMN FUCKING COPY.

Still I think DotA can be fun at times so I enjoyed it a bit but I only played one game.

Avu

Liturgist
The only plus I can see this thing having is rule enforcement. The pub level dota is in such a sorry state that everyone and their mother cheats or leaves or afk's or suicides like an idiot.

What I don't like is the amount of graphical detail. I don't fucking need to get distracted by the pretty flowers on the ground when I try killing that guy that looks oh so much like the terrain around him. Warcraft 3 may be many things but they did 3D right everything is nice and distinct colors used to contrast not blend. Detail may be great for atmosphere but for such a gameplay intensive game atmosphere lasts as long as reading NPC dialog in Diablo 2 aka not much.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Dele I sent a PM.

Skyway: no it's not, if you don't like it feel free to not post about it

Avu: I've never run into cheaters and only 1 or 2 deliberate feeders in all the times I've played, and normal Dota has tons of graphical stuff in it that makes it hard to tell what's going on as well

Avu

Liturgist
I don't know how battlenet is except 200ms ping-ish but garena is cheaters land... maphack, custom kick, gold transfers you name it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Played it. I don't really like DOTA, but I gave the game a fair chance. I think it could've been pretty decent if it wasn't for the munchkin player base ruining the game. The game is only in fucking beta but people are already bitching and moaning and kicking you out if you have shitty stats. Yup, the devs actually thought it was a good idea to add an online stat tracking system to DOTA. Tracks down you win/loss/disconnect ratio. I don't know why they have it enabled in beta. Probably as a social experiment.

I've got a few invites if someone wants to try it out.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Avu said:
I don't know how battlenet is except 200ms ping-ish but garena is cheaters land... maphack, custom kick, gold transfers you name it.
I've never played on Garena. Custom Kick is sometimes necessary, though. I play with friends mostly on Bnet and if we have a total oblivious idiot on our team it's better for the rest of us if he's kicked. My friend uses a pinging program so he can kick people with high pings in the lobby.
Yup, the devs actually thought it was a good idea to add an online stat tracking system to DOTA.
Oh, jeez. Considering how teenage most dota players are that IS a bad idea. Especially also considering your losses are going to be defined by how often you get retarded teammates no matter how good you are.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Thanks Hobo Elf.

I sent a different email address to Dele, Dele if you can still send an invite there so I can get one of my friends on the beta as well I would appreciate it.

Hory

Erudite
Hobo Elf said:
The game is only in fucking beta but people are already bitching and moaning and kicking you out if you have shitty stats.
You're bitching and moaning about a feature whose usefulness you don't understand. There are servers for various levels of skill. If you have the stats of a noob you can play on "noob only" servers and you won't be kicked for it. There are plenty of those. You'd more likely be kicked on them if you have pro-stats. And, as one who's already played hundreds of games on it, I can tell you that most hosts don't actually enforce certain stats, which is why I always find myself having to host one where I do check them.
Yup, the devs actually thought it was a good idea to add an online stat tracking system to DOTA.
It is. It allows experienced players to play a challenging game with their peers rather than a game unbalanced by random, clueless players.
Tracks down you win/loss/disconnect ratio. I don't know why they have it enabled in beta. Probably as a social experiment.
Oh, now there's something wrong with disconnect tracking too? Is it not useful to know when a player is, for example, 30% likely to leave during the game, so you can kick that bastard?

MetalCraze said:
Dota is just as stupid as Counter-Strike. Find a better game, it will be easy.
DOTA is one of the most tactical games that there is. Counter-strike is just a dexterity game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hory said:
Hobo Elf said:
The game is only in fucking beta but people are already bitching and moaning and kicking you out if you have shitty stats.
You're bitching and moaning about a feature whose usefulness you don't understand. There are servers for various levels of skill. If you have the stats of a noob you can play on "noob only" servers and you won't be kicked for it. There are plenty of those. You'd more likely be kicked on them if you have pro-stats. And, as one who's already played hundreds of games on it, I can tell you that most hosts don't actually enforce certain stats, which is why I always find myself having to host one where I do check them.
It is. It allows experienced players to play a challenging game with their peers rather than a game unbalanced by random, clueless players.
Tracks down you win/loss/disconnect ratio. I don't know why they have it enabled in beta. Probably as a social experiment.
Oh, now there's something wrong with disconnect tracking too? Is it not useful to know when a player is, for example, 30% likely to leave during the game, so you can kick that bastard?

Typical munchkin behavior.

Edit: For the record I don't think an online stat tracking system is typically bad if the players are responsible and mature about it. Those are two completely alien concepts to the avarage DOTA player. Most of the time I've noticed that the host kicks out people with shitty stats who are on their team, but don't care if it's a shitty player on the opposing team. So much for balanced and challenging games.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hory said:
Ad hominem

Unable to react to my calm and calculated reasoning.

P.S: I've still got 2 invites left. Oh, and you can register to the League of Legends closed beta now. That game looks pretty crummy, though.

Hory

Erudite
Your reasoning isn't calm and calculated, it's emotional and defensive. Your lack of self respect makes you feel personally offended by being rejected on the basis of skill and in order to defend the little sense of self-worth that you have you resort to belittling the rejectors. Ego-centrists deserve ad hominems.

Avu

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
Avu said:
I've never played on Garena. Custom Kick is sometimes necessary, though. I play with friends mostly on Bnet and if we have a total oblivious idiot on our team it's better for the rest of us if he's kicked. My friend uses a pinging program so he can kick people with high pings in the lobby.

So necessary that every idiot uses the custom kick to kick the other team players when he starts losing.

Also HoN has ingame voice chat it will be hilarious when a Russian a Chinese a Brazilian a Romanian and an American end up on the same team

I see potential lulz in stat tracking depending on what they use. Right now I think they have a K/D ratio and that is only going to get kill stealers in the same teams. The amount of nerd rage when they kill steal one another should be epic. Also they tend to pick the same shitty heroes that are only good for stealing.

But Dota is about team play and playing randoms will not make for a fun game most of the time. You either get the language barrier or some idiot who plays just for his stats and not for the team or some pussy that always stays back in fights and does nothing.

The player base is the same one from Dota and I think they can compete toe to toe with CS playerbase in retardness. If they manage to have a system to separate the retards from the more serious players (and how that might be possible not sure maybe private leagues or some such) I will consider it a succes and worthy successor of dota if not it will just be yet another rippoff trying to make a quick buck from the plebes.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
But you still haven't explained to me why an online stat tracking system is a good idea when you add DOTA players to the picture. You know they'll more often abuse it rather than use it as a tool to create a competetive gaming enviroment.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I played a game. Got pretty owned since we had a leaver and I did not know which hero was which (Slardar is now a beetle, lulz) but I liked it.

Padre

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
I played a game. Got pretty owned since we had a leaver and I did not know which hero was which (Slardar is now a beetle, lulz) but I liked it.

We got raped. One sucker from out team disconnected after 5 minutes and there were 2 good players on the other side. They've reached lvl 25 by the end of the game and I have a whooping 1:18 K:D ratio.

But yeah, it was fun. KC, any suggestions which char to pic ?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Well, looking at the forum

Swiftblade........= Juggernaut
Juggernaut was one of the first heroes I could kick ass with in Dota. He's one of the few heroes you can go boots-first with and now he has a neat passive.

Moon Queen........= Moon Rider(Luna)
Her ult is a win button

Pollywog priest...= Rhasta
Rhasta is, in my opinion, one of the top tier heroes in Dota. When I play him it sometimes seems I can do no wrong. He's just incredibly powerful. In Dota (and i'm assuming in this) what you do is either push to a tower and lay down wards for easy pushing, or if you are ganking run up to hero Hex->Wards (try to trap them)->Net and when net runs out finish off with lightning.

Thunderbringer....= Lord of Olympia(Zeus)
He's good all around, easy to play, too, he's a good newbie hero.

Behemoth..........= Earthshaker
Earthshaker is another Dota hero that I love to play, and he is absolutely killer if you use him right (blink dagger->ult into a mass of creeps and heroes, when ganking get ahead of them and click a bit in front to block them with the wall

Legionnaire.......= Axe
Axe is really good if you play him right. On Bnet he is usually food against me and my friends because the people who play him don't know what they are doing. Don't try to carry with him, use him as an initiator/aoe stunner supporter.

Pebbles..........~= Stone Giant(Tiny) (stun passive no longer stuns, but reduces debuff time)
In non -em games Tiny is probably the best nuke ganker in the game after Nerubian. I don't know if they coded him the same way as in dota, but if you use avalanche and toss the enemy hero avalanche does double damage.

Defiler...........= Death Prophet(Krobelus)
Another fucking amazing hero in normal Dota. Basically stack defensive HP/Mana/Armor/Disable items on her, run into battle, activate ult and spam nuke. Her ult also destroys towers and is physical so it goes through magic immunity

Voodoo Jester....~= Witch Doctor (AoE heal replaced with Warlock's single target HoT/DoT)
Witch Doctor is hard to play, if you're new maybe pick someone else, but it looks like they gave him Warlock's spell so he is probably MUCH stronger than in normal games. However, this brings up a conundrum. In Dota his combo is stun -> maledict and have a teammate nuke the shit out of them. Now his heal is a skill you are going to be getting first, so you will have to rely on teammates stunning the enemy to get into maledict range.

Devourer..........= Butcher(Pudge)
If you suck don't play him, but a good pudge decides the game. I love playing him and am pretty good. Basically you get defensive items, your combo is Hook->Dismember->Rot.

Pharaoh...........= Clockwerk Goblin
He's hard to play but if you do it right he's pretty good in normal Dota, a great ganker.

Pestilence........= Slithereen Guard(Slardar)
Slardar is probably the first hero I really started to do great with in Dota. He is, in my opinion, the best STR carry in the game because he has a stun and can gank.

Warbeast..........= Lycanthrope
Lycanthrope is the second best str carry in the game because he does INSANE damage even at low levels. He's better in non-em because people don't have as many hit points. Just go Phase Boots instead of STR Treads because otherwise when chasing with your ult on you will get creep blocked like nothing.

All of those are rapetronic heroes in Dota, though Clockwork requires some finesse to play. There are more rapetronic heroes that have been included but they are harder to play.

Avu

Liturgist
I will have to dissagree with you on str carries slardar is good but not great and lycan is nowhere near top tier. The two best str carries are Naix and Davion. Naix because he has a free bkb does insane damage and his ulti is good both as surprise and escape. Davion because if he gets farmed enough he can and will kill the entire enemy team almost by himself. Other than that you are quite spot on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom