Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

arcade-style flight combat PC game w/ controller?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Looking for a solid arcade-style PC flight combat game that plays well with a controller. This will be played on a couch.

Surround sound is a plus. Not looking for a hardcore sim, but sim-lite within the constraints of a controller is OK.

edit: era or genre doesn’t matter. WW1 or Star Trek, I don’t care so much as the the gameplay is good.

Modron

Arcane
Looking for a solid arcade-style PC flight combat game that plays well with a controller. This will be played on a couch.

Surround sound is a plus. Not looking for a hardcore sim, but sim-lite within the constraints of a controller is OK.

edit: era or genre doesn’t matter. WW1 or Star Trek, I don’t care so much as the the gameplay is good.
Can't say that I've played too many with a controller, Red Baron a life time ago on a gravis gamepad was fun. You could always emulate the Ace Combat series.

3 others

Scholar

Came to poast this. Very good, very unique, and easy to approach swashbuckling 1930s aerial combat game.

It was somewhat hard to get running in early Win7 era when I last tried it, though. The game might actually be abandonware these days so it doesn't really hurt to try.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Came to poast this. Very good, very unique, and easy to approach swashbuckling 1930s aerial combat game.

It was somewhat hard to get running in early Win7 era when I last tried it, though. The game might actually be abandonware these days so it doesn't really hurt to try.

This looks like a great recommendation. There's no problem getting it to run on modern system, PCGW has it well documented. There are even two methods to get native (ultra)widescreen, and the tweaks needed for modern controllers.

ingame_16x9.png

edit: in terms of finding it, it's easy. archive.org has the disc image hosted

Modron

Arcane
Yes, X-Wing Alliance requires you to have a joystick in order to play. The entire series was built for using HOTAS back in the 1990s.
Yes I am aware the xwing/tiefighter series places nice on a flightstick. I was asking if your standard everyday controller handles them anywhere remotely as well since that is the whole point of this thread.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Yes, X-Wing Alliance requires you to have a joystick in order to play. The entire series was built for using HOTAS back in the 1990s.
Yes I am aware the xwing/tiefighter series places nice on a flightstick. I was asking if your standard everyday controller handles them anywhere remotely as well since that is the whole point of this thread.
Right. I appreciate the rec JD, but by controller I don’t mean HOTAS. I mean pop-a-mole couch potato pew-pew-pew type controller.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

I don't know, because the games came out before those piles of shit controllers were ever designed. I imagine if you can rebind the buttons you could.

I'm giving my recommendations based upon what was asked.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It’s wild that there aren’t more recently released arcade-type flight games on PC. Ace Combat 7 dropped in ‘19/20, and ace combat 6 was ‘07 and Xbox only?

I know there’s more sim-type stuff like IL-2 et al., but where’s the popcorn and bubblegum flight shooters in the ‘10s and early ‘20s?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
It’s wild that there aren’t more recently released arcade-type flight games on PC. Ace Combat 7 dropped in ‘19/20, and ace combat 6 was ‘07 and Xbox only?

I know there’s more sim-type stuff like IL-2 et al., but where’s the popcorn and bubblegum flight shooters in the ‘10s and early ‘20s?

Because all development is done for console peasants then ported to the PC for almost every game. The PC ports are ass and perform shittily. Some exceptions are simulators like flight and trains.

Modron

Arcane
I don't know, because the games came out before those piles of shit controllers were ever designed. I imagine if you can rebind the buttons you could.
This is just plain false, there were plenty of controllers back then like I mentioned earlier in the thread I played a lot of Red Baron as a small child with the following for example:
Gravis_pc_gamepad_%28cropped%29.jpg

agris

Arcane
Patron

Because all development is done for console peasants then ported to the PC for almost every game. The PC ports are ass and perform shittily. Some exceptions are simulators like flight and trains.
any released in the past 13 years that you would recommend?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
This is just plain false, there were plenty of controllers back then like I mentioned earlier in the thread I played a lot of Red Baron as a small child with the following for example:
Gravis_pc_gamepad_%28cropped%29.jpg

Oh yes the SNES controller is the same as the current PS5/XBox ones.... We are talking about modern controllers yes? Not something from over 30 years ago.

I don't know of anyone that actually played the X-Wing series of games with something like that due to the lack of buttons needed to actually play.

any released in the past 13 years that you would recommend?
Nope, sorry bud. I just know the really old school stuff.

Modron

Arcane
Oh yes the SNES controller is the same as the current PS5/XBox ones.... We are talking about modern controllers yes? Not something from over 30 years ago.
I was responding to your assertion that the xwing series came out before controllers did which is just plain retarded. I don't know what happened to set off this batch of doomer boomer edgelording all over the forum this week but you purposefully just came to this thread to driveby shitpost and not even read what you're responding to so I'll say good day to you.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I was responding to your assertion that the xwing series came out before controllers did which is just plain retarded. I don't know what happened to set off this batch of doomer boomer edgelording all over the forum this week but you purposefully just came to this thread to driveby shitpost and not even read what you're responding to so I'll say good day to you.

And I was referring to modern controllers. That's what the topic was about, so yes, my statement is true in that the games were built long before the dual schlock controllers were ever made. Instead of saying thanks for the information you decided to be a smart ass and link the SNES type controller.

The dual schlock controller was released in 1999. X-Wing, the first in the series, was released in 1993. TIE Fighter was released in 1994. X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter was in 1997. X-Wing Alliance was released in 1999. Hence why my statement is true. The game was released long before the modern controllers that you use were released.

I don't know why you got sand in your fucking vagina, but you need to wash that shit out and be normal again.

I haven’t played them, but Strike Suit Zero and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw look pretty fun. I’d think they’d work with a controller given they both also came out on consoles, but I don’t know. There was a Crimson Skies sequel that came out on Xbox (Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge) that’s good. Don’t know how the original Crimson Skies would be with a controller given the time it came out.

ind33d

Educated
steam controller has gyro, i used it for death stranding but it 100% would be able to play flight simulators

Trithne

Erudite
Star wars squadrons fully supports gamepad controllers and is plenty arcadey.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom