Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Arcania Delayed

bhlaab

Erudite
Zed said:
Just for NA though. I think the main market for Arcania is Europe to be honest. Germans love everything sword & sorcery.

But the whole game is more or less a slap in the face to the hardcore German lot

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is what capitalism wrought - fire the creators, and try to dumb down the "sequel" at the same time.

Completely faithful gothic.

circ

Arcane

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's so fucking ridiculous i can't help watching it again and again. I went there three times and still laugh about it.

Maybe it's a comic action game in disguise.

dragonfk

Erudite
Konjad said:
Also: RPGWatch is shit, band of fucking manboons and tools, they like Oblivion, Gothic 3 and other shit. You can't discuss with them with different point of view because they go butthurt, they think they are smart but everyone can clearly see they're not. And fucking females over that substitute of site think they are superior to males just because they have breasts. Fucking cretins don't deserve to be read.

Come back when you grow up.

As for Arcania:

How can you make a Gothic successor that doesn't let you explore it's world?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
chzr said:

Wasn't it said that on higher difficulty settings the enemies wait less time before attacking? On "Gothic" difficulty maybe those moves are all instant.

I also find that review hard to make judgments on... it's a translation, and they never really lay out the exact linear style of the main area. These things definitely make me wary of the game, but I'll wait for more reviews rather than write it off completely.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DalekFlay said:
chzr said:

Wasn't it said that on higher difficulty settings the enemies wait less time before attacking? On "Gothic" difficulty maybe those moves are all instant.

I also find that review hard to make judgments on... it's a translation, and they never really lay out the exact linear style of the main area. These things definitely make me wary of the game, but I'll wait for more reviews rather than write it off completely.

While playing the demo only difference I felt between normal and hard is the amount of hits needed to kill a enemy.

chzr

Erudite
DalekFlay said:
chzr said:

You mean that they keep difficulty that isn't for complete retards for the full game? After finishing demo the you unlock '2 times more hp' difficulty... You can bet that if they had anything better then this they would include it in the demo.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
chzr said:
You mean that they keep difficulty that isn't for complete retards for the full game? After finishing demo the you unlock '2 times more hp' difficulty... You can bet that if they had anything better then this they would include it in the demo.

You're probably right, I'm just saying I'll be reading some reviews to make sure. I found the combat fun in the demo for an action RPG, it was just too easy because of the slowly acting enemies. If they were smart enough to make a difficulty where the enemies attack like normal then the combat would be very enjoyable for me personally.

Of course if it's a linear game I won't care much either way.

zeitgeist

Magister
chzr said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6KvSRWs_w4
I'm watching this and I can't believe they're actually serious. I'd understand a console-oriented combat system, or an incredibly easy difficulty meant just for the demo, or anything that's somehow justifiable within reason, but this is just too much. Have there been any official comments on this from the developers yet? Something along the lines of "oops, we accidentally set the AI speed to 0.5% and disabled the targeting system and all attacks except one" perhaps?

Thalkirst

Novice
I played the full game as a tester and it is THAT shit. The RPGWatch review is spot on.

Combat is wildly unbalanced. Melee is moderate difficult (until you learn how to trick the AI) on harder difficulties - for example rats can take you in two hits on Gothic difficulty. But it is rather easy to run them around and dodge the blows.

Archery is extremely overpowered, it is almost like cheat mode. Each enemy is 2-3 hits.

Magic does not worth shit, you have to spend all your mana to get a low-level critter to 50% health to Gothic difficulty, go figure.

The only way you can enjoy it is to handle it as a joke and laugh at the pathetic writing, the atrocious quest design (there are only 3 types of quest, NO exceptions - fedex, kill someone, talk to someone), the laughable "combat" and admire the creators of this for squeezing each imaginable fantasy cliché into the game and make it accessible for retards and 10-year olds.

SPOILER ALERT

Having spent 15-20 hours to get into the mighty Archives of a castle to find more info about the main quest objective, I entered the archives... and it was a 4mx6m room with something like 8-10 books.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Glorious!

I believe oblivion has been challenged.

Also prepare for a sudden flock of newfags.

Shannow

Waster of Time
SCO said:
Also prepare for a sudden flock of newfags.
Why? Unless Arcania goes around getting (near)perfect scores and being hailed as the newly returned zombiejesus of RPGs I doubt we or anybody else will care much about it. Without the constant media fellatio and Bethstapo on TESF Oblivion would simply have been a disappointingly crappy game. There wouldn't have been any need for all the hate.
While Arcania looks pretty enough I somehow doubt it'll get a following similar to Oblivion which then would have to be countered by extra rage on the codex which then again would cause moron fanboys to come here and "defend" their game... But actually that could be fun :)

Phelot

Arcane
To be fair (for some reason) the demo looked like it won't be what the actual game will be like. That last area was obviously there to allow the player to pick up phat lewtz and feel like God. And it seems that a lot of areas were off limits just because it was a demo.

Still... I can't see them changing the way the rocks randomly block your progression...

Micmu

Magister
Kron said:
Holy shit that was beyond retarded. Fucking game is unsalvageable.

Codex will play it anyway.
:smug:
You mean 2010 newfags, with Fable 2 being their first vidya game?

Kron

Arcane
I mean the codex in general.

Instead of replaying Risen, codexers will probably spawn a few threads about this game sucking/being good for what it is.

Then it will fade into darkness.

1eyedking

Erudite
circ said:
Why replay Risen? It wasn't that amazing.
Because it was the true successor to Gothic 3? You people can be p. dumb sometimes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom