Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Are The Witcher 1's Added Campaigns Worth Playing?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I just finished my second ever playthrough of The Witcher, first since it came out. A better game than I remember, but very, very long and repetitive after a point. I'm close to uninstalling now and playing something else, probably Pathfinder finally... yet I hesitate, as the "Enhanced Edition" added two additional mini-campaigns.

Are they worth playing when you're tired of the game? Are they relatively different in some way? Do they add lore and context to the sequel games in some way?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Can't remember them but, then again, it's probably been five or six years since I played.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I just finished my second ever playthrough of The Witcher, first since it came out. A better game than I remember, but very, very long and repetitive after a point. I'm close to uninstalling now and playing something else, probably Pathfinder finally... yet I hesitate, as the "Enhanced Edition" added two additional mini-campaigns.

Are they worth playing when you're tired of the game? Are they relatively different in some way? Do they add lore and context to the sequel games in some way?

Long? The full main campaign on highest difficulty takes like 50 hours. It's at best medium length for a rpg.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Long? The full main campaign on highest difficulty takes like 50 hours. It's at best medium length for a rpg.

Not sure I'd agree with that in general, and also you can be "long for what you are." By the time you get to act five and have to do all the same type of shit yet again, it definitely wears on you. A bonus act sounds like the last thing I want.

Rusty seems to be right though that Price of Neutrality is considered pretty good. We'll see what I launch tonight I guess.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
All I can remember is that they are not that bad and they're quite short so it's probably worth playing them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
All I can remember is that they are not that bad and they're quite short so it's probably worth playing them.

You made me google the length and apparently Price of Neutrality is 2-3 hours long, so I'll probably try and bang it out tonight before I am further crippled by wanting to move on.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I played and finished Price of Neutrality. Mini-review is that it's 2-3 hours of condensed Witcher 1, like one of those pills that says it packs 12 servings of vegetables into one swallow. The story was good and it was neat to meet Sabrina Glesawhatever before her appearance in The Witcher 2, but it didn't blow my mind or anything. The gameplay is mostly killing a bunch of wolves, wyverns and kikimores across a small map and then talking to people about it. Worth playing for the story because it's so short though I guess, as ghostdog said.

Gonna skip the other one. Thanks guys.

Frozen

Arcane
You are not missing anything. Others are trash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom