Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are there any space sims with RPG elements?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I want to play a space sim where when I land on a planet, I'm greeted with more than menus to buy/sell items and pick up missions. I'd like to actually take control of my pilot and crew to explore the world's surface. I want to wander around exotic, varied cities, get missions in seedy bars and have plenty of non-space ship ass kicking. Let me build around myself a diverse crew with stats that affect both typical RPG functions and piloting skills.

Basically, I guess I want a space sim with a full-fledged RPG once I hit the ground. Is there anything even remotely like that out there?

Severian Silk

SunDog is about as close to what you want as I've seen. There was also a freeware RPG called HajoWorld that was never completed or released. I think there's also an upcoming game by an ex-Troika developer that is SciFi. I doubt it will feature Space combat and trading, though.

I've also tried to convince the VegaStrike development team to implement more RPG aspects (comparable to Mount&Blade), but the idea has been mostly unpopular with them as well as the community.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll have to check them out.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Though I was only able to get it to work in Internet Explorer. It wouldn't work in Firefox even using IE tab.
I had no probs at all getting it to run in Firefox.
You just press the button that appears on the web page to install the Firefox plugin.

See -

(BTW, nice find)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom