Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are you a creative namer?

Bara

Arcane
I usually just grab a book of my shelf flip to a random page and find to character names then smash them together in some manner until it sounds decent.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Adolf, sometimes Adolf Hitler

León Degrelle if I'm feeling fancy

if I need more, I just open up a list of Knight's Cross recipients and find inspiration from the names of Europe's greatest heroes

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Abolutely and effortlessly. I had to do a lot of DMing in three different rulesets and a dozen different settings for my friend group. A lot of my friends are uncreative to the point where they could spend 15 minutes staring at a blank name space. I had to make up a lot of names on the fly.

I mostly just cobble together something from my subconsciousness that either fits the race/class or something that does deliberatly not fit it and make a small backstory in my head about it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I also like names that tell me the race and class of the character.

Female Lizardman Warrior: Lizzie Borden (using an Axe of course)
Halfling or Kender Thief: Y U Little (after all, that what all the merchants call him)

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Probably not so much "creative" as "autistic". I care a lot that the character fits the setting, and have to do my homework into the races/cultures to get a feel for them linguistically and in nomenclature. If the NPCs I run into indicate that I'm wrong, I'll reroll or hack to fix it.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I usually use ancient Greek or Welsh names. Because the more proper ones tend to be mythological related, my party composition usually sounds like the apocalypse is about to come crashing down.

For testing, names are basically an explicit description. For actual gaming, a proper name. Coining names isn't a problem, being that I am literate.

Reality

Learned
I still have memories of mashing through JRPGs when I thought it was faster than using the start button so I often had char names of the default and then all capital A to the char limit.

Sometimes I throw in NinaAAA and RobinAAA into one of my modern teams for old time's sake.

My favorite other names are

Lunch the Barbarian

Butterfly the Necromancer

I think my default behavior is to give everyone short common names, but I get bored so the 4th or 5th guy will get a slightly fantayisth one and then the 6th guy will be named after a noun.

As an example, my team for Elminage Gothic was - Bangaa,Myers,Jim,Vandia, De-Vries, and Bennett

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
I usually made a team called 'the breakfast club' and named everyone after cereal.

Captain Crunch
Lucky Charms
Cocoa Puffs
Fruity Pebbles
Applejacks
Cookie Crisp

They where the traditional team, but occasionally I would switch them out for a different surgary death.

lefthandblack

Arcane
Male:

Lefthand The Black
Vergen Raep
Dexter St. Jock

Female:

Karessa Blade
Morgan Quicktongue
Kuntessa

After that if I still need more I just play around with things until I find something that feels like it fits the characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom