Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ashes 2063

ind33d

Learned
Anyone play this? It looks great. I would have loved if Bethesda Fallout went in this direction but with quests

Ashes 2063

Falksi

Arcane
voZTHPN.gif

Ash

Arcane
We already have threads for this. I'll just say what I said before.

Episode 1: a typical good quality mod. It's rather short at 6 hours or so, and while extremely well executed doesn't amount to greatness. A portion of that is due to its length. Truly great games need to be at least 12 hours or so. I can explain why if desired.
Episode 2 (afterglow): This is simply one of the best shooters of the past 24 years (not hard to achieve, as most are terrible). Answers the question of "what if 2000s era shooters DIDNT all suck ass?". As it takes the realism and setpiece focus of the 00s, tones it down somewhat, and blends it well with 90s game design standards - level design is expansive and requires thought, the soundtrack ENHANCES the experience instead of being worthless subtle droning in the background, gameplay is somewhat ambitious. It's a 20 hour or so experience. Simply a must-play game, and Episode 1 is not necessary to experience first.

It's a mod, so it is cobbled together with various assets (there's Deus Ex textures, Unreal textures, Half-Life sounds etc) but 99% of players aren't even going to notice that, and there's still a lot of original assets. It doesn't take away from the end result at all, except maybe taking the player out of the game for a brief moment when they recognize something. Big deal.

Anyway, it's free, high quality, so there is no excuse. If you haven't played this yet, what are you doing? Probably playing SHIT because you have SHIT taste.

Last edited:

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
One of the best shooters in many many years imho. I like episode 1 slightly more than ep 2 just cause it is a bit more straightforward. Both episodes are goat tier.

Fargus

Arcane
It's free and better than a lot of wannabe boomer shooters out there. Not only that but the setting is cool.

ind33d

Learned
@people tagging the post as old: The game is called Ashes 2063. It's not even coming out for 39 years. bigots

Anyone play this? It looks great. I would have loved if Bethesda Fallout went in this direction but with quests

Ashes 2063

I've played it for only 30 minutes so and uninstalled it because I'm not a fan of big empty environments in games.

However, I'm going to reinstall it since the game does take place in a big, open, wasteland, and it's considered the best Doom total conversion ever.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Never got into Doom, but both Ashes and Hedon were pleasant exceptions.
Afterglow is good, but too big.
I'm considering learning map making because it's nigh impossible to get Doom map pack fitting for Ashes weapon pack. Beside Brutal Doom Hell on Earth there was maybe 1-2 others and that's it...

The creator is working with Hedon dev on some project, hope he don't catch bad influence (the later is quite degenerate).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom