Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Shadows - Yasuke confirmed Samurai, cope and seethe; pre-order now

The Decline

Arcane
Stuff like Afro samurai has existed in Japan for decades.

Afro Samurai is too boring to get mad at.
Afro Samurai is from a much less homosexual time. It feels like it sprung much more organically from African American interest in Japan and "cool stuff" like samurai etc. I mean Samuel L. Jackson even voices 2 of the characters and he's only ever cared about the rule of cool. AC Shadows is the standard megacorps designed-by-committee thing that is common to the modern gay disco era.

Also, Yasuke is in Nioh 1. You fight him. It's cool. I know he isn't the main character, but maybe it does make sense to select one of the "cool" characters that are in cultural memory and knight him as a samurai even if the actual history is dubious. I do not like defending gay disco megacorps but not everything has to be propaganda. This most surely is, but in Nioh 1 when Team Ninja made the protag a historically documented white guy, no one cared and even thought it was cool. I know TN are obviously Japanese, but still. Surely there are plenty of Asians at Ubisoft? I do not scrawl twitter, are Japanese actually upset at this? Based if so I guess, but I want to leave some room for grace that the decision to have Yasuke be the protagonist was more "this is cool" than "we need to tow the party line so our gay disco can keep on glowing".

Either way, even if the decision is 100% pure and based on rule of cool rather than propaganda, they have done this to themselves. Lefties don't know about the boy who cried wolf.

Nigger Samurai is still garbage regardless of the intention.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
There are probably hundreds of possible characters from Japanese history they could have used instead but no, it had to be the nigger.

And of course they don't have the balls to make an AssCreed set in Africa.

Hell Swarm

Learned
There are probably hundreds of possible characters from Japanese history they could have used instead but no, it had to be the nigger.

Egypt is Africa but we know what you mean.

Thank you whoever moved this. I put it in the wrong thread cause I'm retarded.

Last edited:

ind33d

Learned

the way they so blatantly are inventing the historical narrative surrounding yasuke, i almost think slavery never happened. For all we know, a gas station in South Carolina ran out of Steel Reserve one time and that became a Chinese Whispers folk tale about every black person working on a cotton farm

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I can already see it: Jumping from one mud hut to the next one.
See, a game set in Ethiopia during the Italian invasion would make an excellent AssCreed. You can easily weave the Templar/Assassin plot in. Heck, it geographically and demographically makes more sense than Japan.

Iucounu

Educated
Maybe they just want to insert black characters everywhere else in the world, to justify the globalist mass migration? Then they'd not be interested in Africa as such.

See, a game set in Ethiopia during the Italian invasion would make an excellent AssCreed. You can easily weave the Templar/Assassin plot in. Heck, it geographically and demographically makes more sense than Japan.
Yes the Battle of Adwa should check all the leftists' boxes (if we ignore the war crimes). The parkour could be done in Gondar.

But there's also Ethiopian Jews, so how about a game about a black Jew saving the newborn State of Israel in 1948?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
GUPyp7oXYAAiin3

deuxhero

Arcane
Will Japs be offended even more if Yousuke will be made Korean?
I recall there was one or two Koreans (edit: Maybe as many as 4) who got the title by working for the Japanese against Korea. Lionizing them would make Koreans pissed more than the Japanese.

Elttharion

Learned

Not a "Legendary Samurai"​

--What kind of person was Yasuke? There was a debate on social media about whether he was a samurai or not.

"There are few historical documents remaining about Yasuke, so it's difficult to say anything for sure. Since biographical information is not a mainstream field in historical studies, it has not been a subject of research. "One of the surviving copies of Nobunaga's autobiography, Nobunaga-koki, a 15-volume edition held by Sonkeikaku Bunko, includes a passage saying that Nobunaga gave Yasuke a sword and a house, indicating that he treated him as a samurai. However, of the dozens of copies of Nobunaga-koki, this only appears in this surviving copy, so we cannot deny the possibility that it was added at a later time when it was copied."
By having a black Yasuke close to him, he would attract attention and, in a way, it was a way of showing off Nobunaga's power. So I think the most important purpose was to show him off to everyone. The Jesuit historical documents say that Yasuke was strong and could perform a few tricks. I think in reality he was Nobunaga's bodyguard and entertainer."
"He was not like the 'samurai warrior' that Westerners imagine, cutting down enemies one after another, so I feel uncomfortable with him being treated as a 'legendary samurai.' Even if he fought, I don't think he led his subordinates, but rather worked as a soldier."
In particular, since the film uses a real person, it would have been more natural to make the main character a famous swordsman or samurai, such as Miyamoto Musashi, rather than forcing in a black character like Yasuke, whose actual identity is unclear. Making Yasuke, who may or may not have been a samurai, seem like the "representative of samurai," would have meant taking something away from Japanese samurai culture
The historian being interviewed
Yuichi Goza was born in Tokyo in 1980. He graduated from the Faculty of Letters at the University of Tokyo. He completed doctoral studies at the Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology at the same university, and worked as a researcher there. He is currently an assistant professor at the International Research Center for Japanese Studies. He holds a PhD in literature. He specializes in medieval Japanese history.
Source

deuxhero

Arcane
I had no idea how right I would wind up being
It's so easy to forget there's still quarter of a year till this shit is out. I wonder how much deeper Ubisoft will dig themselves in those months and what they'll blame the inevitable bomb on.
Just off the top of my head, there was a tone deaf non-apology, plagiarized banners, random mass produced crap from better properties as booth decoration, and the "historian" admitting he's both a Wikipedia vandal and a ✡️ revising history to promote immigration. We still have three months to go!

Spike

Educated
I had no idea how right I would wind up being
It's so easy to forget there's still quarter of a year till this shit is out. I wonder how much deeper Ubisoft will dig themselves in those months and what they'll blame the inevitable bomb on.
Just off the top of my head, there was a tone deaf non-apology, plagiarized banners, random mass produced crap from better properties as booth decoration, and the "historian" admitting he's both a Wikipedia vandal and a ✡️ revising history to promote immigration. We still have three months to go!
this triggers me more than a wild west shootout

Mauman

Scholar
Can't read the whole thread. Where's the proof that this guy was a samurai?
On the basis that he was given a sword, some spending money, and a place to sleep.

That's it.

Seriously, that's all of the concrete evidence these "historians" have.

Everything else is them "filling in the gaps" (in other words, writing fiction).

Reinhardt

Arcane
reading "taiko" right now. "yasuke" mentioned exactly once and not even named. just black slave gifted to nobunigga by priest because he noticed daimyo is curious. even nobunaga tasting european sweets and discussing pros and cons of sugar with his guests is more important.

no mention about him during honno-ji at all. and there are LOTS of named pipo including random pages and soldiers.

that's how much japanese cared about inclusivity and representation before.

Cross

Arcane
How moddable are Ubisoft games?

Would it be possible to change all the loot drops in the game to watermelons, buckets of fried chicken and healing potions of grape soda?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom