Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atari 10K Filing Online (ToEE included)

butsomuch

Novice
http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsactio ... wsid=29576

Atari's latest 10K SEC filing can be found by following the link. For those with the time to peruse the 187-page Word doc (other formats also available), there's a number of interesting tidbits including comments on the PC and console markets. Of particular interest is the news that Troika's ToEE was their 15th best-selling title (all formats) for the year ending March 31, 2004 - followed closely by the two NWN expansions (no specific numbers are provided, however). Amusingly, ToEE is listed as 'Adventure' and the NWN expansions as 'Strategy'.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Llama, you type worse than me. You lose. :idea:

Buts, I'm glad a full fledge game can outsell expansions. That makes Troika and Atari so proud. :roll:

Whipporowill

Erudite
Volourn said:
Buts, I'm glad a full fledge game can outsell expansions. That makes Troika and Atari so proud. :roll:

Considering the level of marketing the nwn addons got in comparison to ToEE, and how many bought the original game I'd say you're being a moron here Vol. But then you usually are...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
LOL What were you paying attention to? TOEE had quite a bit of marketing. Youa re the one being a "moron". Exapnsions - even successful ones - tend to sell less than half the original. Heck, in the case of the successful BG exapnsions it was about 30%. You should know what youa re talking about when crying about stuff.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Still ToEE was mentioned as a small niche game which would only appeal to TB hardcore fanatics or old school pnp'ers. NWN on the other hand - weren't there claims of 1 million units sold or something like that (I admit I may be wrong on this)? 30% of that would be 300 k units. And do we think ToEE sold that many copies? Not really, although it's possible. Seems ToEE either sold pretty well for a niche game, or the NWN expansions pretty bad for add-ons for a "RT smash hit".

Lee_Stavros

Novice
Neither ToEE or NWN XP1+2 sold that great.
Actually ToEE sold pretty bad, approximately 300000 copies.
This however is just speculations

Talorc

Liturgist
Perhaps the "profit per unit shipped" was higher on ToEE than the NWN expansions? ToEE did have a relatively short development ( and QA!) time - it was probably pretty cheap to make, relatively speaking.

ToEE only hit the bargain bin recently I think? Whereas the NWN expansions would have been at expansion price from day 1?

Plus - Bioware might have got a bigger cut of the NWN profits than Troika got of the ToEE profits. I suspect Bioware is in a much stronger negotiating position than Troika, with regards to distributors.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Huh? I'd be surprised if TOEE didn't sell 300k copies. And, TOEE was not a niche game. Wjhy do people spit out that myth, rumour,a nd innuendo.

Let's look at the facts:

1. TB games sell. Hello? Anyone home? Has no one heard of the Ff series?

2.Niche? TOEE is based on what is arguably the most popular D&D module of all time. There are at least 2 million D&D gamers out there all of which play with pnp rules so it would make sense for themt o be at least interested in a D&D game that is closest rules wise to the pnp game. TOEE was never a niche game (well, no more than any D&D game would be). At least not in my opinion. :roll:

3. NWN expansions sold well for being expansions. Exapnsions - except Diablo and the Sims - tend to sell much less than the originals. I proved this with the Bg exapnsion. And, TOb which was also a successfule xpansion proves this theory depsite it being closer toa full game as it came in about 33% of total sales for SOA.

4. i would not be surprised if POR2 was up there with the NWN expansions/TOEE.

5. Lastly, how much did TOEE outsell the expansions by? 10k? 50k? 100k? If it's only 10k I wouldn't really call that "otselling' excpet in the most literal translations.

Seriously, some peopel are very drunk.

Taloric: I'd gather the expansion had elss development time and money thrown at them. It's 'common knowledge" 9apparntyl not to some) that exapnsions just don't sell thatw ell comapred to the originals so they don't get as much cash thrown at them as full fledge games.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Volourn said:
1. TB games sell. Hello? Anyone home? Has no one heard of the Ff series?

Agreed, but someone should tell that to those misguided developers. Bt w I loathe FF.

Volourn said:

Well, yeah. It was mentioned as niche and hardcore in several reviews (in both good and bad ways). I can't say that about NWN, can you?

Volourn said:
4. i would not be surprised if POR2 was up there with the NWN expansions/TOEE.

I would

Volourn said:
Seriously, some peopel are very drunk.

I wish? I just said no to a beer, as it's way too cold to be sitting outside this early in the summer.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Turn based games are a niche market for the PC because PC owners are generally too dumb to understand complex rules like 'end turn'.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
1. I do. I just told Mr. Zoller. LOL (not that BIo listens to me :D )

2. OMG It says so in reviews so it must be true. I give a good three reasons why TOEE shouldn't be considered a niche (hardcore is a whole nother debate) yet the best you can do is that some reviews said it was. R00fles! And, the only reason why NWN is less 'niche" than TOEE is because the devlopers are much well known and liked by gamers.

3. You shouldn't be. Afterall, in the first month of POR2's release it sold pretty damn well... just like TOEE... And,w e all know the highest number of a game's sales comes in the first few weeks of release.

4. Too cold? R00fles.

Exitium: Yeah, ok, sure.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Haven't you noticed the trend lately? It's all about Counter-Strike and The Sims. Those are people who wouldn't know how to press the E key for 'use' in Call of Duty. If you think I'm exaggerating you need to get out more - there's a FUCKLOAD of stupid people out there.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Then it's a good thing I don't play those games. Of course, I've ran into some less than intelligent people playing NWN. Hehe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom