Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avatar Gallery Submission Thread

Do you care about custom avatars?

• Yes, and I want something done about it.

Votes: 314 54.4%
  • No, just leave it the way it is.

Votes: 263 45.6%

• Total voters

Semiurge

Cipher
who would implement them? My tongue isn't nearly brown enough.

I've never seen an avatar rejected if it's in the correct size and format. Size is 96x96 pixels and I'm not sure on format for animated, but I'd assume it's gif

There are countless avatars here that don't conform to those specifications.

Semiurge

Cipher

Some of them down't properly fill it out, but they fit into a 96x96 frame. That's how large the avatar window is.

You misunderstood. They are larger than 96x96, and not even symmetrical squares. I'm sure it's just the width that is limited to 96 px, not the height.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

Semiurge

Cipher

Some of them down't properly fill it out, but they fit into a 96x96 frame. That's how large the avatar window is.

You misunderstood. They are larger than 96x96, and not even symmetrical squares.

Which ones are larger? And yes they're not all squares, but they fit into the window.

Just confirmed it. Maximum height of avatars is 150 px, max width is 96 px. So the "limitation" of 96x96 is bullshit. I don't remember all the usernames with those avatars, JarlFrank has one but there were even larger ones.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
Maybe it's a trick to save disk space on our server.

Anyway you could have done the work in the time you spent whining here. Many such cases!

Here's a tip: Allow custom avatars again and save yourselves the work.
Explain the reasoning behind your rating, Infinitron.

I'll not pretend that the mods could or would be willing to police avatars, but this is a gaming site so I bet most users would still be using a game related avatar anyway even if custom avatars were allowed. But that was not the original issue with custom avatars, was it? It's not that some were deemed too offensive either, because this is the Codex. So the
only remaining explanations are that they must be from games because of image reasons, that their file size can't currently be limited, or because custom avatars are a possible future source of revenue for DU.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
And the "right dimensions" is just a bullshit trick to reduce the amount of avatar suggestions, this version of xenforo has no such built-in limitations unless some hack systems admin or addon has fucked something up.
For a guy with an affinity for buttons, you're displaying a stunning lack of flexibility when it comes to avatars, man. But I still like you, Semi.

Semi-s-Beg.gif

I've no idea where the hell you dug the original up, but throw up some other token ones for Cho Aniki and you can have your precious blue avatar.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Of course the file size can be limited. The original issue from what I remember was that nobody wanted to police potentially hundreds of offensive avatar changes around here every day. As far as avatar dimensions go, you can't just arbitrarily allow whatever sizes because the avatars appear in a dozen other locations besides the postbit, and those elements are often a set dimension from the original XF style. So every change you make could look fine in the postbit but break a dozen other elements in different locations.

Vatnik Wumao
The original issue from what I remember was that nobody wanted to police potentially hundreds of offensive avatar changes around here every day.
Can't you just revoke avatar uploading privileges for the repeat offenders? Doesn't seem like that big of an issue all things considered.

Semiurge

Cipher
As far as avatar dimensions go, you can't just arbitrarily allow whatever sizes because the avatars appear in a dozen other locations besides the postbit, and those elements are often a set dimension from the original XF style. So every change you make could look fine in the postbit but break a dozen other elements in different locations.

Funny, I don't recall that being an issue with other sites using this (now outdated) version of Xenforo. You could upload an image way larger than the optimal dimensions and it would get automatically resized everywhere. Don't tell me you lack some essential plugin.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Can't you just revoke avatar uploading privileges for the repeat offenders? Doesn't seem like that big of an issue all things considered.

We could. Same as we could change a lot of unwanted behaviour around here by consistently applying laid out penalties for misbehaviour, such as Polish spamming in the shoutbox. But that's up to DU and from what I've seen, DU doesn't really want to do it. "Low moderation" and all that.

Funny, I don't recall that being an issue with other sites using this (now outdated) version of Xenforo. You could upload an image way larger than the optimal dimensions and it would get automatically resized everywhere. Don't tell me you lack some essential plugin.

That would be because we're not using the default XF avatar behaviour. By default, XF forces all the avatars to be the same square size, which eliminates the problem I was talking about altogether. Here, this automatism has been removed to keep all the different kinds of avatars intact. (Not necessarily all true since I mostly remember how I've done it on my site, it could be slightly different here.)

Semiurge

Cipher

We could. Same as we could change a lot of unwanted behaviour around here by consistently applying laid out penalties for misbehaviour, such as Polish spamming in the shoutbox. But that's up to DU and from what I've seen, DU doesn't really want to do it. "Low moderation" and all that.

That would be because we're not using the default XF avatar behaviour. By default, XF forces all the avatars to be the same square size, which eliminates the problem I was talking about altogether. Here, this automatism has been removed to keep all the different kinds of avatars intact. (Not necessarily all true since I mostly remember how I've done it on my site, it could be slightly different here.)

So the culprit is that avatar selector monstrosity?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
The avatar gallery integration is a pretty big custom-coded addon that we've had developed for the Codex. Any changes deemed necessary there can be made when it'll be recoded for XF2, which handles avatars a bit differently again by default IIRC.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I'll not pretend that the mods could or would be willing to police avatars, but this is a gaming site so I bet most users would still be using a game related avatar anyway even if custom avatars were allowed. But that was not the original issue with custom avatars, was it? It's not that some were deemed too offensive either, because this is the Codex. So the
only remaining explanations are that they must be from games because of image reasons, that their file size can't currently be limited, or because custom avatars are a possible future source of revenue for DU.
Dude, Codex has Green Elephant avatars! Everything is possible with the right reasoning

Except for Numenera Collector's Edition avatars, these are still rejected

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom