Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Rpg idea: you are Feargus and you have to deal with Obsidian management, team issues, budget and projects directions. Lots of C&C.

Avowed sounds like a disaster being made in real time. From generic assets to plot. From art direction choices to project role changes.

Only 2 races, obligatory companions... I hope they know what they are doing...

Last edited:

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
0sacred why couldn't it be? This exact type of gameplay has proven mass appeal, and most people still play on console afaik, so we're talking about millions of fans of unmodded Skyrim here. This specific game isn't going to make a dent into ES fanbase, but it'll scratch the same gameplay itch. Who knows were it goes as a series

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Reminder to Black artists out there who are looking for portfolio reviews or job advice: my DMs are open, and you will always have my priority. We got too many crusty white dudes in this field, please let me help you replace me one day - I want to go back to living in the woods.
And this is why we get served shit 99.99% of the time. Lord, plz strike these people down in the most agonizing way imaginable. Amen.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
They should combine summerfest xbox show and sony direct into one single "Asset Flex Show" to compete who's got the most vomit-inducing asset renderer out of ue5. So far Obs is the winner, with inxile close second.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, there was another PC Gamer article: https://www.pcgamer.com/avowed-open-world-skyrim-rpg-size/

Exclusive: Avowed started as Obsidian's Skyrim, but evolved to focus on depth over breadth, 'where Obsidian really shines'​

"We backed up and said again: What are we good at? What's our lane?"

When Avowed was first announced with a CGI trailer back in 2020, the headlines and discussions that it sparked all pointed to one specific game: Skyrim. Even though the teaser didn't give away much, the similarities were clear. First-person view; a sword in the right hand, a spell in the left. Surely this was Obsidian's take on an enormous Bethesda-style RPG?

And yes, it turns out that was the plan—at least at first. "Originally we were pitching, in essence, our Skyrim," confirms Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart in an exclusive interview with PC Gamer.

But that is not what Avowed, as it currently exists, is going to be. "I think over the course of time as we worked on it… Bethesda makes an awesome Skyrim. Mojang makes an awesome Minecraft, and Turn10 makes awesome racing games," says Urquhart, referencing a handful of Obsidian's sister studios at Microsoft. "What we do is we make our awesome RPGs, right?"

The feeling, then, was that Obsidian were better served not following Bethesda's example of a grand, open world, but instead staying true to what an Obsidian game should be. "That's when we backed up and said again: What are we good at? What's our lane?" That core, for Urquhart, is Obsidian's dedication to storytelling. "Outer Worlds is the greatest, latest example of that, and even Pillars. Pillars is less linear than Outer Worlds, but it's still a game that has you go through a story. And [Pillars of Eternity] 2 was even less linear, but still again you have this core story as you're going."

For Avowed, the focus is going to be specifically on your companions, and how their story relates to the driving narrative of the game. "We could go off and create an 8km x 8km open world and then deal with all the consequences of that—because that makes it a different style game. But we want to tell more confined stories that the player can experience with their companions, and then move from part of the world to part of the world. And, like I said, in the end, that's us."

"Every game development process for every title is this chain of ideation, iteration and polish," says Avowed director Carrie Patel, reflecting on how the scope of Avowed has changed over the years. "Sometimes you realize the way you're building, it is not quite living up to the experience you want to create. And so, in iteration and refinement, you say, 'Well, how do we create the experience that we want to deliver to players, and particularly as a studio? How do we deliver on what we're really good at specifically?'

"I think where Obsidian really shines as an RPG maker is with this really evocative nuanced world building, stories that are more focused on depth and breadth, and really thoughtful quest design that rewards experimentation and exploration from players—that gives them a sense of agency. And that gives them a meaningful set of options with how they interact with the world and characters."

The upshot, then, is that Avowed won't be as large, open and freeform as an Elder Scrolls game, but maybe that's for the best? Given the enduring popularity of the studio's RPGs over the years, staying true to that spirit feels like a sensible choice. "As we looked at the Avowed we're building, we wanted to make sure that we were really fulfilling those strengths and creating something that felt like a true Obsidian RPG," says Patel.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Putting aside the fact that first person action cRPGs are complete dog shit, this trailer was absolutely hilarious. Obsidian is a massive multi-million dollar company and they can't release a trailer at a resolution higher than 1080p that's running over twenty four frames a second? The graphics as shown in the trailer are horrendous. It somehow manages to fail both in the graphical fidelity department, and the art style department. People are not exaggerating when they compare this to those shitty Steam games which are just a bunch of Unreal Engine assets thrown together, and the art style is so boring and uninspired that it manages to actually make the transition from bland to shit. Let's forget about the graphics for a second, did anyone see the animations? If I had liquid in my mouth at around 0:38 I would have spit it all over my monitor screen with how bad it looked. What about the kick at 1:17? The animations are all super floaty, and it looks like everything is glitching through one another. The whole thing is pathetic, especially since they handpicked this footage, so one can only imagine how bad it must feel to actually play the game.

Then the combat. Just lol. What did you people expect? Can anyone name a first person cRPG since Dark Messiah that actually had good combat? I don't mean "okay" or "inoffensive", I mean combat that was actually fucking good. Shit, even Dark Messiah barely hits that mark, but I'll give it a pass. The things that make a first person action combat system good are simply incompatible with a cRPG, and I don't know how much more evidence there needs to be so you mongoloids get it through your thick fucking skulls. This game was destined to be shit as soon as it was greenlit, I just didn't think Obsidian would fuck it up this much. I look forward to sitting back and watching the dumpster fire.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Then the combat. Just lol. What did you people expect? Can anyone name a first person cRPG since Dark Messiah that actually had good combat? I don't mean "okay" or "inoffensive", I mean combat that was actually fucking good. Shit, even Dark Messiah barely hits that mark, but I'll give it a pass. The things that make a first person action combat system good are simply incompatible with a cRPG, and I don't know how much more evidence there needs to be so you mongoloids get it through your thick fucking skulls. This game was destined to be shit as soon as it was greenlit, I just didn't think Obsidian would fuck it up this much. I look forward to sitting back and watching the dumpster fire.

They believe it's pretty good (at least compared to The Elder Scrolls?):

Early in development, when Obsidian decided to prioritize a story "more focused on depth than breadth," the first-person combat ended up benefitting, too. Patel said that it was an example of a piece of Avowed that was surprisingly fun in their first vertical slice, a time when the team has to decide on what to commit more resources to and what to scale back on. Combat became a key focus, which should be music to the ears of every Elder Scrolls player who's always found the sword-swinging a bit wimpy. "Our combat has come along really, really well, and the bones have been there since the beginning," she said.

Also a response here to Perkel:

Patel cited a lot of time spent tuning the feel of swinging a sword vs. a mace vs. an axe to make combat feel right, but the options available to players seem like the more significant element at play here. You're free to dual-wield weapons, wield both magic and melee simultaneously, and as in Pillars of Eternity, there are some old timey guns available. When I brought up how bored I am of game loot with imperceptible stat differences from one sword to another, she said that's been on their mind, too.

"The way we've tried to approach that is erring on the side of fewer but meaningful upgrades. If you're upgrading your weapon from one tier to the next, you should feel the difference. If it's a small number change next to your item name, that's not going to feel as meaningful as going through an upgrade process, trying your weapon again and realizing it's doing a lot more damage. Fewer but more meaningful upgrade tiers."

RegionalHobo

Scholar
graphics look exactly like that garbage outer worlds, assets look even worse

obsidian is really going the way of bioware huh

i don t expect anything from this besides the most stale casual bait game possible

BlackheartXIII

Educated
"I may be getting some times wrong, but back in January 2021 the project was so screwed up that Chris Parker was pulled off as project director and replaced with Carrie Patel, Bobby Null was pulled off as creative lead, and Dan Platt was replaced by Matt Hansen as art director."
In addition there was this warning sign by a former Obsidian senior environment artist back in Feb 2, 2022 (From Glassdoor):
Find art directors who understand the art and technology from the ground up. Your art directors are a joke and really have no idea what makes a AAA look like a AAA.
The art department is kind of a joke and they don't focus on making a game great there. Instead the keep saying that story is everything and really everything should be important. I feel like they are so behind on tech, art and real game-play that they are doomed to fail. I couldn't stay there anymore. The art directors there, I feel, have given up on making great art or are are just extremely toxic.

Last edited:

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
I saw the trailer and it really got me thinking about what it is, that seems so off about a lot of modern fantasy games.
At first, one might think that it is the designs, but those are actually pretty alright (shape-wise). What's so strange and incoherent to me is the extensive use of neon coloring.
Go through that trailer again and count every shot with neon coloring. It's almost every single one of them and I am really not sure whether that is deliberate or the result of some aesthetic trend.
Compare this to a classic game trailer like the one of Lands of Lore 2:

Now I am of course biased, cause I love that trailer, but both LoL2 and this game have outlandish fantasy designs.
However, one feels like it is rooted in reality, while the other one seems like it's taking hints from Marvel.
It might be about readability, but I gotta be honest: It kinda takes me out.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Very unspectacular trailer.

I also wasn't expecting dated graphics, to be honest.
I thought maybe it was a case of the game being in development before M$ bought Obsidian but no, that does not appear to be the case. Micro$hit's game division are simply incompetent. It's not surprising if you've watched any Redfall videos. They are managed by literal retards. Say what you want about Sony but they fucking clown on M$ day in, day out when it comes to first party managment.

But Phil Spencer basically confirmed that to be the case. In speaking about Redfall he said that they let the developers do whatever they wanted with games they were already working on when the merger happened. He also said that maybe Microsoft should have been more involved considering the state of the game at launch. He said this during that big interview that went viral a few weeks ago.

Also LOL about Sony's first party management.. The same Sony that basically got rid of its entire internal Japanese devteams and now rely on westoid slop? How many Sony developed games have come out recently?

Gahbreeil

Learned
The graphics look fucking terrible, completely uninspired and one generation behind everything else.
Three years ago they started working on it. Guess what? I guess they started with the engine and the graphics. Once they are done, they'll polish it..

And the Codex will receive.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

gabe1010

Arcane
Developer
The things that make a first person action combat system good are simply incompatible with a cRPG, and I don't know how much more evidence there needs to be so you mongoloids get it through your thick fucking skulls.
Agreed, but I'm wondering what all your reasons are? cRPG being about character based stats and not player skill? First Person action combat being fun because of a given set of abilities mixing melee/fists/shooting and magic and not about picking one?

gabe1010

Arcane
Developer
I saw the trailer and it really got me thinking about what it is, that seems so off about a lot of modern fantasy games.
At first, one might think that it is the designs, but those are actually pretty alright (shape-wise). What's so strange and incoherent to me is the extensive use of neon coloring.
Go through that trailer again and count every shot with neon coloring. It's almost every single one of them and I am really not sure whether that is deliberate or the result of some aesthetic trend.
Compare this to a classic game trailer like the one of Lands of Lore 2:
Agreed, the neon stuff is just awful. Sharply contrasts with and doesn't fit in the rest of the environment, and just makes it look like a student project with asset store plants. The foliage is just awful.

Edit: I had to do an edit to include these quotes from another forum:

it's like Godfall & Immortals of Aveum had an illegitimate child in terms of visual palette...Way too garish.

The mushroom garden posted in the OP is straight kitsch in a way that would fit an aesthetic modelled after 1950s sci fi but not a quasi-historical fantasy setting

Last edited:

gabe1010

Arcane
Developer
You can only be an elf or a human.

There are no classes.

The art style looks like a mobile game with the post-processing of their shitty sci-fi Outer Worlds game.

The gameplay has stiff, janky, cheap looking animations, and the trailer refused to show more than 1 or 2 moves in a single shot, often even cutting those just before you can get a good look at the impact to hide how shit the combat is.

And then you have the above tweets and glassdoor reviews and this thing is just covered in red flags.

The last few seconds of the original teaser trailer two years ago were so promising.

Obsidian is just a name on a building. Whoever made their previous games great doesn't work there anymore.

bobocrunch

Educated
honestly hope this flops so obshitian can get decimated and josh shipped off to direct slav code monkeys

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom