Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Couldn't it also be open world in the sense that some people like to say dark souls is open world? Because if the hubs are interconnected, then that's not the same as Inquisition and TOW at all.
That seems very unlikely. Dark Souls's gameplay is about traversing that space. Avowed's not a dungeon crawler, you'll be able to fast travel to different areas and such. Greedfall as made by Americans.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
ss_024c5d99b7a9e0af7e0b125594a9309a16fc3b99.1920x1080.jpg

ss_3bbfb2c873c8413bf1f2fe5e35446b687c50c21b.1920x1080.jpg

Euros win again.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
So why go even more generic look? Why everyone's wearing generic bandit armor variants? Where are the troops of different factions/nations styling their colors(I only saw 1 flag: blue & white with the crown on a... pedestal(?) which I guess is the only faction in The Living Lands lmao). Was Sawya the only reason there was a flag fetish in the setting before?

It is really bizarre that they are going for this "everyone is wearing the medievalpunk brown and black leather gear" look. It makes no sense since outfits are one thing they tried to do at least a bit different in PoE1/2, using more influences from European Rennaisaince, East Asian and Polynesian clothing, Welsh and Celtic influences etc. this is just such a stupid non-style to go for. It is one of the bigger reasons that adds to "Generic" look of the game. It is not the fidelity it is the assets.

No one is even going to remember what awavered looked like at this rate if that's what it ends up as, at least PoE1/2 are both recognizable if not necessarily likeable. Particularly Deadfire is a pretty game.

I do like the weapons at least, they look good.

Delterius

Arcane
Yeah the Aedyrans should be walking around with roman togas, as they did in Deadfire. And the clothes should be more colorful in general, not just the Galawainshrooms. Not necessarily neon frocks of course, but still bright.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh my god it wasn't until I shitposted about Greedfall that I realized that this game is a total rip-off of Greedfall.

Greedfall:
An island paradise has been discovered by colonial forces from several distinct nations from fictional lands, but with magic and monsters. Players assume the role of De Sardet, a neutral Human who recently arrived at the island, able to ally with either the natives who inhabit the land, or any of the foreign nations competing to conquer and colonize the "new" land, while also trying to find a cure to a mysterious illness that plagues De Sardet and their homeland.

Avowed:
As an envoy of the kingdom of Aedyr, you are sent to the far-off island known as the Living Lands to investigate rumors of a spreading plague. The island itself is full of mysteries and secrets, danger and adventure, and choices and consequences. The Living Lands is a place that feels foreign at all times yet somewhat intrinsic to you as it feels the island itself is calling out to you for help. Explore an island home to many different environments and landscapes, each with their own unique ecosystem.

Obsidiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. :argh:

Watch it be worse too. :P

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh my god it wasn't until I shitposted about Greedfall that I realized that this game is a total rip-off of Greedfall.

Greedfall:
An island paradise has been discovered by colonial forces from several distinct nations from fictional lands, but with magic and monsters. Players assume the role of De Sardet, a neutral Human who recently arrived at the island, able to ally with either the natives who inhabit the land, or any of the foreign nations competing to conquer and colonize the "new" land, while also trying to find a cure to a mysterious illness that plagues De Sardet and their homeland.

Avowed:
As an envoy of the kingdom of Aedyr, you are sent to the far-off island known as the Living Lands to investigate rumors of a spreading plague. The island itself is full of mysteries and secrets, danger and adventure, and choices and consequences. The Living Lands is a place that feels foreign at all times yet somewhat intrinsic to you as it feels the island itself is calling out to you for help. Explore an island home to many different environments and landscapes, each with their own unique ecosystem.

In Avowed the plague is in the colony, not in the imperial homeland.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Avowed plot: some shit is happening in The Living Lands. The PC character finds out that this is related to some problem with the Maegfolc and the gods, after the events that happened in PoE1 and 2. Probably some shit god as Rymrgand. The PC character resolves the issue, but at the end some other thing happened due to it. The end.

You heard it here first.

FreeKaner

Greedfall:

Avowed:

Colonial agent going to a colony to side with either colonists or natives with diseases present about isn't exactly a unique plot, that's basically the "Colonial setting", both are generic in the end. I do prefer both to generic medieval, since generic colonial is more interesting inherently.

Still, Greedfall also has the same "medievalpunk" look with brown and black leathers with drab colors everywhere, it was one thing that PoE1/2 could have said to done different for the better in terms of aesthetics in fantasy and they are abandoning even that.

Delterius

Arcane
Avowed plot: some shit is happening in The Living Lands. The PC character finds out that this is related to some problem with the Maegfolc and the gods, after the events that happened in PoE1 and 2. Probably some shit god as Rymrgand. The PC character resolves the issue, but at the end some other thing happened due to it. The end.

You heard it here first.
wrong. there's an engwithan machine that makes the living lands go and you're now the herald of galawain because the cycle of reincarnation is breaking down there first and galawain likes his big trees and shrooms.

FreeKaner

You heard it here first.
wrong. there's an engwithan machine that makes the living lands go and you're now the herald of galawain because the cycle of reincarnation is breaking down there first.

Third time is the charm for making a main plot about gods that nobody cares about.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Colonialism was also an element in the past two games, I don't think that's fair to say.
This comparison definitely does highlight how lacking Obsidian is in the art department, Greedfall completely dumpsters this game visually, despite having probably a fraction of the budget/manpower.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist

winged Mr. Burns?
Look, Concelhaut fight should be scary and intimidating but fun https://rare-gallery.com/uploads/posts/4521293-fantasy-art-artwork-lich.jpg

You heard it here first.
Or the gods are not created yet. They are artificial creation of Engwiths who could be the centerpoint of religious war. PC would have to choose tough metaphysical consequences.
"Flipped one detail, can't call us a rip-off. :smug:" -
Flip-off ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom