Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
yeah, sawyer loves fish sticks

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Lol if you think this shit has a coherent setting
The setting is indeed coherent the problem is that is also one of the most stale settings out there since the first game. The first game gave an overexplanation for everything. So now there is nothing to wonder or to discover it killed the very mysticism the first game aimed to set in the first hours.
This is also why i am not interested to play auaua or Awoved.

Mightmagic

Augur
Just take a look, we are arguing whether Obsidian's PR is dancing at the edge of the razorblade of deceptive marketing for multiple projects in a row, or beyond the edge.

Genuine conversation I had with a "certain significant other" person:
- What trailer is this?
- That's Avowed, Obsidian's own Skyrim, set in their own IP.
- Oh.., it's in the PIllars universe... But why is it first person?
- Well, they've decided to target a more mainstream audience.
- But Pillars was isometric, then Deadfire was isometric, and now this is first person... why?
- Deadfire didn't sell that well.
- But the reason for Deadfire not selling well was Pillars, not the fact it was isometric!
- Yeah, but Obsidian have instead taken it as a sign that they have to make the next game first person and this will fix sales numbers.
- :lol: :lol: :lol:

No noeed to lie to yourself, isometric rpg never sells well. it has become a niche genre for almost 20 years now.
Yeah, I can't imagine an isometric RPG selling well. Deadfire is better than POE1 (IMO), and the reason POE1 sold well is because there was a lot of hype about infinity engine games returning, and the kickstarter itself being on the news everywhere. There were even celebrities playing it on Twitch. And suddenly everyone had their fill once POE came out (also IMO). Codex says POE was nowhere close to infinity engine games quality (writing, combat), sure, maybe true enough. If Avowed sells < 300k copies though this comment will age like milk and I'll have to eat a shoe.
Does this imply that Obsidian will never make old-school RPGs again and only focus on ARPGs?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Imagine being forced to admit that your game is so far from release that it's not even in an alpha state, that the graphics are provisional... Because no one actually got excited about what they saw.

This right after your big "gameplay" reveal showcase and when MS is struggling to release games and shake off the reputation of mismanagement, delays and mediocrity.

People over at Xbox are likely not happy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

But yeah, he's not going to post again anytime soon.

I know who Briar Diem is (figured it out on my own, he didn't tell me). I'd say he's too senior an employee to be fired over this (assuming they know who he is).

Yosharian

Arcane

I know who Briar Diem is (figured it out on my own, he didn't tell me). I'd say he's too senior an employee to be fired over this (assuming they know who he is).
Just wait till the blue hairs find out about this, they are going to screech and wail until Obsidian is forced to let him go

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Don't leave us in suspense.. do ~they~ know or not? You are our delegation to ~them~ after all - Oh.. wait... you meant Obsidian managers.. Heh.. awkward.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's not like he leaked private classified information.
Nothing is going to happen.

Marketing department might not want anyone talking about the game in any capacity that isn't done through pre-approved channels.

Does this imply that Obsidian will never make old-school RPGs again and only focus on ARPGs?

With gamepass, the sales of their smaller games don't really matter. Up to the managers whether or not they want to do one.

ADL

Prophet
View attachment 37431

People reposting my Codex posts on 4chan again.
Not until Larian makes a Ultima Online clone. I've been expecting one since Divinity Original Sin. Popping in because I heard about that dev post through a Windows Central article and while nothing's gonna salvage the strange art direction making it look like they're using marketplace assets, a marketing company fucking with the color correction doesn't help anyone judge the actual look of the game.

I loved Grounded and Pentiment and The Outer Worlds was decent enough for a low budget Private Division published game so I'll give nuObsidian the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom