Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Background-Faction Correlation

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Does each background start in the employ of a specific faction? Reading around a bit, that seems to be the case, and some have been confirmed, but I wondered if it was true for all of them. If it's true can I see how they all correlate? Thanks.

Pastel

Scholar
Knights start in House Daratan. Merchants, thieves and assassins will be in their respective factions. Loremasters and grifters will not be in a guild, but rather they will have a master of the appropriate craft. I'm not sure about mercenary, but you might start out on your own.

Jora

Arcane
Mercenaries are employed by the inn where the opening vignette takes place. They are tasked to guard the arriving independent trader from assassins sent by the Commercium.

Andhaira

Arcane
But they are unsuccessful right?

This bugs me. No matter what you do the guy gets assassinated anyway. There are no consequences, though there appear to be many choices.

hiver

Mercenary - In a world rife with conflict, those with martial skills are never idle for long. Occasionally embroiled in the greater machinations of the Noble Houses, most Mercenaries take on personal contracts with individual clients. Their allegiances are open, determined by gold.

Jora

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
But they are unsuccessful right?

This bugs me. No matter what you do the guy gets assassinated anyway. There are no consequences, though there appear to be many choices.
IIRC, the mercenary is sleeping when the assassing enters through the window. He doesn't awaken until after the merchant dies.

Andhaira

Arcane
So no matter what you do, the poor merchant always dies! Well thats not very choicy and consequential IMO. ANd people blame bioware for having diffferent dialogue with the same result.

So what if you play as the assassin? You are GUARANTEED to kill the merchant? You can't fuck it up eevn if you want to? And if you DDO fuck it up its game over and you reload?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I think Andhaira may have a point. I know you end up with the map somehow no matter which character/background you play, but do they also all involve the merchant dying?

Or is Andhaira just trolling?

Btw thanks Pastel. I am particularly interested in the grifter path. So would you have a "Chains"-type mentor? (in reference to Scott Lynch) I think that would really add to the element of AWeSOME.

edit- Just saw VD's post.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Vault Dweller said:
http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11598
I read through it. So was your ultimate decision to basically leave it "as is," maybe with a few reservations?

Dicksmoker said:
Btw thanks Pastel. I am particularly interested in the grifter path. So would you have a "Chains"-type mentor? (in reference to Scott Lynch) I think that would really add to the element of AWeSOME.
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... 963#msg963
Looks good. I think I'll be playing grifter first.

So, you said in that first thread that all the different background characters (knight, thief, etc...) "exist" in the gameworld and are going to come to that inn regardless of which background you choose. Is this also true for the grifter if you don't pick that background? The reason I bring this up is because he is the only one who seemed to be interested ONLY in the map (and not in making a copy like the loremaster) and thus might possibly be your contender for it. Or perhaps if you don't pick that background, he will exist, but will be after something else from the merchant instead?

Also, this has probably been addressed before, but I'm assuming that a no background person will simply be an innocent bystander who gets the map by happenstance?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Dicksmoker said:
Vault Dweller said:
http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11598
I read through it. So was your ultimate decision to basically leave it "as is," maybe with a few reservations?
Kind of.

So, you said in that first thread that all the different background characters (knight, thief, etc...) "exist" in the gameworld and are going to come to that inn regardless of which background you choose. Is this also true for the grifter if you don't pick that background?
Yes.

Also, this has probably been addressed before, but I'm assuming that a no background person will simply be an innocent bystander who gets the map by happenstance?
Yes. You are one of the inn's guests. You are awaken in the middle of the night...

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So, you said in that first thread that all the different background characters (knight, thief, etc...) "exist" in the gameworld and are going to come to that inn regardless of which background you choose. Is this also true for the grifter if you don't pick that background?
Yes.
So is he after something else, or what?

spectre

Arcane
So no matter what you do, the poor merchant always dies! Well thats not very choicy and consequential IMO. ANd people blame bioware for having diffferent dialogue with the same result.

So what if you play as the assassin? You are GUARANTEED to kill the merchant? You can't fuck it up eevn if you want to? And if you DDO fuck it up its game over and you reload?

This is a vignette, it's supposed to hook the game's main plot for many characters, not make important decisions regarding it. That'll come later in the game.
If it offeres a bit more than that, so much the better.

If you want to say pluck yew to the main plot and live the life of a simple fisherman instead, I reckon that's what VD supplied the Quit option in the main menu for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom