Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldurs Gate 2 Cut Content

fastjack

Augur
i was wondering if anyone knows what kind of stuff was planned for bg2 and cut. I took a look at the unfinished business mod and its description and it doesnt describe most of it too well. Also i don't really feel like playing through it again with that mod to find out what it has, at least not right now. I know there was a Minsc quest that was cut involving Boo, the stated reason for cutting always sounded lame.

Mainly what i'm wondering about is what was cut involving Jan, in another thread here someone mentioned theyd cut something but google fails me. So anyone know what that was? And what's the deal with an 'original yoshimo portrait'?

thanks in advance

Liberal

Barely Literate
Baldurs Gate 2 is dumbed down shit shit. Baldur's Gate TotSC should suffice for everyone.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
Liberal said:
Baldurs Gate 2 is dumbed down shit shit. Baldur's Gate TotSC should suffice for everyone.

retardt.jpg

Only major quest line that I am aware of for BG2 that only partially made it was the one where (SPOILERS)

you go through a portal, if you are holding the right kind of gem (otherwise it's just an inaccessible door) and walk into one of the hardest fights in the game, against a group of high-level casters and monsters. Originally that was going to be the last part of a major optional quest line, but they didn't get around to putting it in. They left that last 'boss-fight' in their for giggles, thinking that the chances of someone who just happened by chance to have the right gem (it was one of the rarest ones, from memory) and click on the right door were pretty low. The result was pretty funny - was basically a very rare encounter (made crazier by the fact that it's possible to wander into it as early as chapter 2) where a very small percentage of the playing population would get their ass kicked and then go 'wtf was that for!'

They've said that stuff got cut for Jan, but he wasn't badly fleshed out anyway (from memory he still has his own quest, like the other NPCs), but I've never seen details in any interview, nor second-hand.

They've openly said that ToB, on the other hand, was nothing like what they originally wanted. The engine was getting too old for a 3rd full game to be viable, and their new engine was to be for a new series (NWN), and so they only got to do a hack'n'slash expansion to give it an ending, when they wanted a full game ala BG2. Some stuff is available in patches that Gaider released for free.

My suggestion: only play ToB if you really want to complete the series. And avoid BG2 fan-made mods like the plague. Actually, no, worse than the plague. Avoid them like a ZOMBIE plague. As in if you ever meet someone spreading them, get a shotgun and aim for the head.

Andhaira

Arcane
I wish they had more stuff fro Cerd. He wasa cool charcter with tons of potential.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
Liberal said:

Yes, because BG1 has a much richer atmosphere and character interactions?

coaster

Liturgist
Azrael the cat said:
And avoid BG2 fan-made mods like the plague

Not quite true. Some of the more low key mods, like Quest Pack and Unfinished Business, are decent quality. And some of the tactical mods (Sword Coast Strategems 2, some parts of Tactics) are good.

Definitely avoid:

99.9% of NPC mods (bad writing, intrusive dialogue, instantly dislikeable characters)
99.9% of so-called megamods (generally bug ridden, bad writing)
99.9% of item mods (Sword of Stupidly High Protection Permanent Haste and +25 Damage)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom