Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate EE changes - acceptable or not?

Sentinel

Arcane
Left just looks better. But that's beside the point, why the fuck are they incorporating a fucking fan mod into the EE without giving people the option to disable it? It's fucking supposed to be BG2 EE, not BG2 fanfic EE

Codex Year of the Donut
Left just looks better. But that's beside the point, why the fuck are they incorporating a fucking fan mod into the EE without giving people the option to disable it? It's fucking supposed to be BG2 EE, not BG2 fanfic EE
Because the mod is a restoration of the BG1 graphic that they changed for no reason you dunce
"the left one looks better" it doesn't even look like fucking chainmail

Sentinel

Arcane
Because the mod is a restoration of the BG1 graphic that they changed for no reason you dunce
"the left one looks better" it doesn't even look like fucking chainmail
But this is supposed to be BG2 not 1 you fucking dunce. They have no business changing content in the EE without at least giving the option to disable the changes.

Codex Year of the Donut
. They have no business changing content in the EE without at least giving the option to disable the changes.
Why would you install an "enhanced edition" then get upset that there are changes to the base game?
How fucking dense are you? Go install the originals.
In before you repeat the lie "THERE'S NO WAY TO BUY THEM ANYMORE", buying the EEs gives you access to the originals https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/61669/availability-of-original-games-on-gog-com

Sentinel

Arcane
. They have no business changing content in the EE without at least giving the option to disable the changes.
Why would you install an "enhanced edition" then get upset that there are changes to the base game?
How fucking dense are you? Go install the originals.
In before you repeat the lie "THERE'S NO WAY TO BUY THEM ANYMORE", buying the EEs gives you access to the originals https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/61669/availability-of-original-games-on-gog-com
Because an Enhanced Edition implies it's the original, but with improvements to run natively on modern systems. Instead it's a downgrade on all fronts except for the "disable cosmetic attacks" option which is completely missing for the original.

yxohyoj.jpg

Sentinel

Arcane
Because an Enhanced Edition implies it's the original, but with improvements to run natively on modern systems.
No, no it doesn't.
An enhanced edition implies they change the graphic for "CHAIN MAIL" to actually look like CHAIN MAIL like it did in the original game.
Find me any other 5 other remasters that completely changed the assets of the original. I'll wait you shit eater.

Codex Year of the Donut
Because an Enhanced Edition implies it's the original, but with improvements to run natively on modern systems.
No, no it doesn't.
An enhanced edition implies they change the graphic for "CHAIN MAIL" to actually look like CHAIN MAIL like it did in the original game.
Find me any other 5 other remasters that completely changed the assets of the original. I'll wait you shit eater.
lol no

Sentinel

Arcane
No, no it doesn't.

Heroes of Might and Magic III HD
Resident Evil 2 - Remake
Resident Evil 1 HD
Myst: Masterpiece Edition
Spyro the Dragon - Remake

Just at the top of my head. Also, at least partially, the Silent Hill HD Collection.
HoMM3 HD - yeah, and look how well it turned out. looks like total garbage & everyone shat on it relentelssly.
RE2 - not a remaster
RE1 - not a remaster
Spyro - not a remaster

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
HoMM3 HD - yeah, and look how well it turned out. looks like total garbage & everyone shat on it relentelssly.
The worst thing about the HD is that it's not compatible with non-HD scenarios, which cuts you off from loads of great content. Also, the HD is just the base game, the expansions are not included.

The real "Heroes 3 HD" is the old Heroes 3 + this mod: https://sites.google.com/site/heroes3hd/

* This post is sponsored by my wife who is a Heroes 3 overlord

Sentinel

Arcane
No, no it doesn't.

Resident Evil 2 - Remake
Resident Evil 1 HD

Just at the top of my head. Also, at least partially, the Silent Hill HD Collection.
RE2 - not a remaster
RE1 - not a remaster
Spyro - not a remaster

Of course they are remasters. How do you differentiate the two? Remakes change too much to be called remasters? Isn't this your arguments agains the EEs?
Remasters don't touch assets beyond what is needed for modern compatibility + minor visual upgrades to go with it. Remakes do, often complete reworks of the original assets (Resident Evil 2, Crash Trilogy, Spyro). For this reason the EE is closer to a shitty lazy remake (changed item icons, changed armor looks, new items that break balance, new kits that break balance some more, removed some class/race restrictions, changes to reputation mechanics, all kinds of changes to UI panels) than an actual remaster.

If you want an example of a remaster, Beamdog already did a pretty acceptable one - Planescape: Torment. Another: Age of Empires II: HD Edition (which btw is getting a remake).

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
No, no it doesn't.

Resident Evil 2 - Remake
Resident Evil 1 HD

RE2 - not a remaster
RE1 - not a remaster
Spyro - not a remaster

Of course they are remasters. How do you differentiate the two? Remakes change too much to be called remasters? Isn't this your arguments agains the EEs?
Remasters don't touch assets beyond what is needed for modern compatibility + minor visual upgrades to go with it. Remakes do, often complete reworks of the original assets (Resident Evil 2, Crash Trilogy, Spyro). For this reason the EE is closer to a shitty lazy remake (changed item icons, changed armor looks, new items that break balance, new kits that break balance some more, removed some class/race restrictions, changes to reputation mechanics, all kinds of changes to UI panels) than an actual remaster.

If you want an example of a remaster, Beamdog already did a pretty acceptable one - Planescape: Torment. Another: Age of Empires II: HD Edition (which btw is getting a remake).

What balance. The games have no balance, they are a cheese-fest.
Irrelevant to the point. Whatever balance the original release had should be preserved. Let modders make balance changes if they want to.

Shadenuat

Arcane
But is there a mod that removes all the garbage that Beamdog added?

Yes.
The new NPCs introduced in BG:EE and BG2:EE are not for everyone's taste. Their character styles differ greatly from the vanilla NPCs. Moreover, in several cases they are trying to force themselves into your party without you having a chance to ignore them. Some of their attached quests are also very difficult to solve without resorting to powergaming tactics.
So while removing worst parts of EE, you also remove the only parts they are worth playing for - the amazing encounters like arena and Szaas Tam (the only, afaik, enemy in IE games who actually uses Wish spell against you) or duo of spellcasting silver dragons (fantastic fight). Same with their good dungeon crawling - wild mages village (good) and wild mages chick quest shop (enemy casters there are literally Stratagems level if not better) and tomb of vampire chick (really good, the ToB one I think).

Same with Dragonspear - like it or not, some of the coolest encounters built for a midlevel IE game, even if the last one is kinda cheap (basically they took IWD boss and you don't even get that many weapons which could hurt him).

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane

Yes.
The new NPCs introduced in BG:EE and BG2:EE are not for everyone's taste. Their character styles differ greatly from the vanilla NPCs. Moreover, in several cases they are trying to force themselves into your party without you having a chance to ignore them. Some of their attached quests are also very difficult to solve without resorting to powergaming tactics.
So while removing worst parts of EE, you also remove the only parts they are worth playing for - the amazing encounters like arena and Szaas Tam (the only, afaik, enemy in IE games who actually uses Wish spell against you) or duo of spellcasting silver dragons (fantastic fight). Same with their good dungeon crawling - wild mages village (good) and tomb of vampire chick (really good, the ToB one I think).

Same with Dragonspear - like it or not, some of the coolest encounters built for a midlevel IE game, even if the last one is kinda cheap (basically they took IWD boss and you didn't even get that many weapons which could hurt him).
Can you murder the EE companions and then visit these locations anyway?

Shadenuat

Arcane
I don't think so, they're event-dependant. Like you need to have companions in party to activate some of them. ToB ones in particular.

Now that's an idea for a mod - rewrite plot for them and make them companions non-dependent.

Yosharian

Arcane
I don't think so, they're event-dependant. Like you need to have companions in party to activate some of them. ToB ones in particular.

Now that's an idea for a mod - rewrite plot for them and make them companions non-dependent.
I.E. do the developers' jobs for them?

Syme

Arbiter

Yes.
So while removing worst parts of EE, you also remove the only parts they are worth playing for - the amazing encounters like arena and Szaas Tam (the only, afaik, enemy in IE games who actually uses Wish spell against you) or duo of spellcasting silver dragons (fantastic fight). Same with their good dungeon crawling - wild mages village (good) and tomb of vampire chick (really good, the ToB one I think).

Same with Dragonspear - like it or not, some of the coolest encounters built for a midlevel IE game, even if the last one is kinda cheap (basically they took IWD boss and you didn't even get that many weapons which could hurt him).
Can you murder the EE companions and then visit these locations anyway?

You can visit the areas via the ingame console, but any scripts or dialogues involving the missing character will likely be fucked. This can range from certain NPCs simply standing around and doing nothing (if they spawn at all), to areas being sealed off with no way around other than teleport-to-cursor cheat. On the plus side, I don't think you can break any of the vanilla quests by fucking around in the EE areas, so there's nothing lose except for your immersion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom