Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You have good taste.

imweasel

I couldn't care less if they implement some visual aids for new and inexperienced players, as long as I can turn them OFF. An "oldfag" mode or something.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I couldn't care less if they implement some visual aids for new and inexperienced players, as long as I can turn them OFF. An "oldfag" mode or something.
They said you will be able to turn off HP bars. Don't remember about the item proficiency highlight system.

What I am most excited about is finally being able to combine dual wielding or weapon + shield with two handed weapons or bows in quickslots. Also they said pathfinding is going to be even more improved.
A new class Shaman also is being implemented and we are still waiting on news about changes to spells and classes (lots of people wanted better spells and bard abilities from IWDEE to be put into BGEE). What we know for sure is that there will be bard only new helmet slot magic items.

Xeon

Augur
I saw a picture of a goblin I think, shaman might be restricted to a goblin race only.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This is gonna be suuuuch fanfiction-level crap. Even worse than the BG games themselves!
I wonder how many Aeries will be on the game? I bet if you have high charisma you can do hot Bhaalspawn on Bhaalspawn sex with the Shining lady and have a bunch of demon babies.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I saw a picture of a goblin I think, shaman might be restricted to a goblin race only.
That is a new Shaman NPC you will get in SoD. Shaman class will be available to everyone (well maybe not to everyone but surely to humans at least). Goblins are not going to become a new playable race, at least I have not seen that mentioned.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Scott says she’s played through Baldur’s Gate around 100 times since joining Beamdog in 2014

Wow, that's pretty hardcore. I've maybe played BG a dozen times through in the last 17 years.
Holy sheeeeit :lol:.

I've played through the saga 4 times and I thought that was a lot, though I suppose I have started a new game about 50 times.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You realize she was probably just cheating her way through most of it to get a sense of the game's writing and and key moments/encounters and stuff, right

I mean how could she even get any work done playing BG1 100 times. That doesn't make any sense.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You realize she was probably just cheating her way through most of it to get a sense of the game's writing and and key moments/encounters and stuff, right

I mean how could she even get any work done playing BG1 100 times. That doesn't make any sense.

I forgot sarcasm doesn't translate well online.

polo

Magister

I forgot sarcasm doesn't translate well online.
I does sometimes, you are just overestimating codex users.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
"Story mode" has been present in games for many years. Mass Effect games and Deus Ex: HR had them, for instance.
System Shock had what was essentially a story mode in 1994.

(It also had the opposite, a mode with high difficulty and plot elements removed)

Namutree

Savant
They said you will be able to turn off HP bars. Don't remember about the item proficiency highlight system.

Thank God. Most of their UI changes from the original BG I simply ignored, but those HP bars are too awful to do that with.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://blog.beamdog.com/2015/12/end-of-year-update-2015.html
Siege of Dragonspear Update

We've hit a milestone in Siege of Dragonspear's development. As of this week, we are officially CONTENT COMPLETE!

*trumpets play, confetti falls from ceiling*

“Content complete” means that everything that belongs in the game is in the game. Areas are finished, monsters are all in place, items have been crafted, characters stand where they're supposed to stand. All the quests and subquests are finalized and implemented. We decided that some of the older areas we reused from Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition could be improved, and so the artists repainted the city zones to make them sharper and more in line with the updated (but still classic) Siege of Dragonspear look.

Holiday Dorn is pleased by this news.

We're obviously excited about reaching this point. It's great to see all the hard work of the last two years come to life on our monitors. Now we enter... the QA zone! *ominous music plays*

QA (quality assurance) is the process of making sure all the content works the way it's supposed to. We test out the game on multiple platforms over and over again to find any issues that need correcting before the game can launch. Our goal is to release a game that's fun, complete, and bug-free. The progress of our QA testing will drive the eventual release date in 2016.

We've also slipped some Siege of Dragonspear content into December's issueof Dragon+. You'll find an original short story about Glint Gardnersonson, the gnome who gets into trouble far more easily than he gets out of it, tucked into its digital pages. We have more short stories planned to give you insight into the world of Dragonspear and the characters who inhabit the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Gameplay footage in a week: http://blog.beamdog.com/2016/01/dragonspear-live-stream.html

Dragonspear Live Stream

Hey there, Beamdog fans. We know you're waiting for the release of Siege of Dragonspear (if you're new here, that's the upcoming expansion to Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition), or at least a glimpse of what we've been working on. Consider your second wish granted!

On February 5, Phil Daigle (SoD's Lead Designer) and Amber Scott (SoD's Lead Bard), will play Siege of Dragonspear on Twitch. Tune in to see some new areas, hear character voices, and watch Phil try to kill off Amber's character. Oh yes, Phil. I haven't forgotten the Fireball Fiasco of '14.

If that's not enough, we'll also be giving away prizes, answering some viewer questions, and, if the boss isn't paying attention, maybe even telling some behind-the-scenes stories of Dragonspear's creation.

The stream begins at 11 am MST (10 am PST) on February 5, 2016, and runs 60 minutes on twitch.tv/beamdog/profile. We plan on streaming more throughout the month so don't panic if you can't make this broadcast (and we'll try to archive the stream as well and toss it up on our YouTube channel).

Shin

Cipher
Always nice to have another reason to replay the BG's, trashmobs or not.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"Story mode" has been present in games for many years. Mass Effect games and Deus Ex: HR had them, for instance.

It's a useful feature for when you're sick of the game (which almost invariably happens with games and especially RPGs) but want to finish the story.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
What if you're sick of the story? I would rather have a combat mode so I don't have to read their twaddle.

Tigranes

Arcane
I noticed on my just finished iwd run that you cant spam continue on dialogue because theres a 1 second window before it can be skipped. Not sure if that was thetr on release vanilla...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
This game's premise definitely seems a bit similar to Icewind Dale 2's.

There's a part where he wants to rest but keeps getting interrupted by random encounters. Groggy stuff's not so good for Twitch, is it?

EDIT: The long-lasting status effects aren't too great for that either. :P

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Fun twitch stream. That optional area had more proper content than most PoE maps with main quest (outside cities).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
This will be a horrible train wreck and will probably end their hopes for making BG3 for good, which is reason enough to celebrate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom