Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Banished coming February 18th

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Banished; Shining Rock Software

banished.jpg

Banished, the Medieval City-Builder by Shining Rock Software, now has a solid release-date. It will be released on February 18th of this year.

titus

Arcane
Patron
Looking forward to this. I haven't played a city building game in years. Hope it doesn't suck!

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Need more screenies. That pic look boring as fuck.
That game is a city builder. It looks very good.
If I didn't know better I could just as easily assume the game was an isometric crpg, a hiking simulator, or a fishing simulator.

Why the fuck don't the marketing guys ever show screenshots of the fucking interface for games any more? Makes me fucking rage. I give 0 fucks about your generic 3D graphics that have been in nearly every game made for the past 20 years. Am I supposed to buy a city building game because the water is reflecting light?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I do agree that the game looks as generic as a game can look. It definitely has nothing unique about the art style.
But that is what you get when you strive for a "realistic" atmosphere.

That said, this really isn't what matters for such a game.

Dead Guy

Cipher
Am I supposed to buy a city building game because the water is reflecting light?

Of course not. You're supposed to buy one because the trees are emitting honks.

I'll give this a try sooner or later. Hope he/they've been able to make the challenges of the time into interesting mechanics and balanced it all well, if so I don't give two shits about the generic look.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
I do agree that the game looks as generic as a game can look. It definitely has nothing unique about the art style.
But that is what you get when you strive for a "realistic" atmosphere.

That said, this really isn't what matters for such a game.

It's far from realistic looking. I don't know what medieval area they're trying to emulate but as far as I know that looks nothing like a Western Medieval town. It's more akin to a swiftly made 18th colonial town, in all it's blandness.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sure, but I think it is clear that they strive for a realistic look, or whatever they understand as realistic looking.

They do not take the transfigured/"artsy"/abstracted approach to art of a Borderlands, Starcraft, XIII, Realm Explorer, and hundreds of other games.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Molly Roberts
Barely Literate

Hi Molly, how are going your literacy exams?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
:lol: I wonder who approved that

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom