Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale Demo Release

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Not worth it. Tried downloading it four times - each time the download was corrupted when I tried to run the program. if the downloading the demo is this buggy; I can only imagine the actual game. R00fles!

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Its nothing to do with the original. At all. Other than the same dev dude, I guess. And the same title.:wink:

They just ripped the name off, for "rpg recognition" purposes. Other, than that, well, it does feature a bard as the main protagonist, so I guess they have an excuse.

As for the original, well, I liked it to a certain extent; but you would have to have a very selective memory to think that it had any more roleplaying than this new action-rpg.

Llyranor

Liturgist
Hmm, I was actually looking forward to this title. Was not impressed by the demo.

Sarvis

Erudite
Beat it last night, the endings are pretty cool...

There's 3, and one that I'd bet has never before been an option in a video game. ;)

taks

Liturgist
Shagnak said:
Its nothing to do with the original. At all. Other than the same dev dude, I guess. And the same title.:wink:
brian fargo wasn't really the main dev dude, michael cranford was. it's not the same title, either, since the first one was actually called "tales of the unknown." just a nit...

As for the original, well, I liked it to a certain extent; but you would have to have a very selective memory to think that it had any more roleplaying than this new action-rpg.
yeah, the original three had zero role-playing other than the fact that your character abilities actually improved over time.

taks

dunduks

Liturgist
Well comparing this to Dungheap Lords, Bards Tale demo is a masterpiece.

FireWolf

Liturgist
Downloaded it when it was first released, only tried playing it the once. Firstly, because due to the installer's desire to install in a completely different location than specified, and seconlyd because I wasn't wholely interested in the title.

First impressions, well, I let the setup exe auto detect my settings and went with that, first screen. Bard appears with texture error spurting from his head. Not a good start. When I enter the game, their reliance on icons rather than any text description confused the hell out of me. There's probably some documentation somewhere. Didn't understand who these people were that appeared to be attached to me by vectors, the controls were crappy and the camera angle perplexed the hell out of me. Why go to the bother of making all this neat looking stuff, without allowing me the camera control to admire it. Either you're stuck looking at the top of this chap's head, or the camera controls are so obscure that I can't figure them out. Maybe I've been spoilt by other games.

My bard's tale was cut short by my explorations of the key mapping.I hit some F-key that brought up a graphics interface that subsequently restarted my system. That was fun.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Holy crap, judging from your description it's buggier than DL :) I'll have to try myself when I have free time as imo the original BT was quite fun... nothing great, though.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Nah, it is definitely way less buggy than the Dungeon Lords demo, don't worry about that! :lol:
(that would be difficult to accomplish I reckon!)
The only beta-esque things I (and most others I have talked to) found is the occasional menu item error. I haven't heard much about graohics errors and the like.

The demo is fun, but I get the impression that it is not representative of the game as a whole (going off reviews I have seen lately, and some of Sarvis' comments). But then again, I think that being representative is a hard thing to do with even something that is rpg-lite.

Just think of it as a bit of fun. Just like you may have done with Diablo and various clones, though it is funnier than most.

[arrrghhhh.....just ...itching....to ....say....something....bad. Drink, need another drink]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom