Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

Ezekiel

Arcane

Only noticed this as I watch AGAIN now.

Script: "I have never played a video game dream and thought for a second that the character was awake."

What I said: "I have never played a video game and thought for a second that the character was awake."

Shit! Another half day rendering and uploading.

Edit: Okay, fixed. But still processing up to 4K.

Edit: Uploaded again. Minor fixes.

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist

Script: "I have never played a video game dream and thought for a second that the character was awake."

What I said: "I have never played a video game and thought for a second that the character was awake."

I expected you to sound more European.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane

You don't sound like you post on the Codex.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Oh... At 16:52, 17:19 and 17:48 in the video, I didn't fully understand what was going on. Some guy on Gamespot tried to tell me two months ago that Steam users have complained about the mouse and keyboard causing unintended actions. I pressed him on it, but he didn't explain, because he's a 100 percent controller user probably. Anyway, console players too have to deal with the run button controlling access to floor grills, cover, railings and such. But only the weirdos like me who play with a M/KB have to deal with the single smoke pellet overriding the aiming of all gadgets when discovered and occasional unintended aiming (which I guess then becomes counter when attempted again) when trying to perform silent takedowns.

Xbox controller: Y = silent takedown, counter
Right mouse button = silent takedown, counter AND gadgets

My video lies that both M/KB and controller users suffer the same shared buttons.

Old:

The predator maps are highly context-sensitive, with playground floor grills, catwalks, gargoyles and other designated spots [1] favored over natural movement, so densely packed together that the player inevitably performs the wrong actions or struggles to prompt the desired one. They crouch by a railing in order to hang, but the game keeps offering corner cover [2]. They try to go under a grate, but the game pulls them towards another waist-high object [3]. You try to do a silent takedown, but Batman takes out his last used item and then raises his fists. The run button also being the interact button while crouched means that Batman will attach to these waist-high objects as you switch back and forth between the crouch and upright movement [4]. Be careful that you don't drop Batman's only smoke grenade as you try to escape, since it supplants all of his other tools when he is discovered, while the prompt calls attention to itself in the top-middle of the screen. You can't even separate from certain walls without giving away your position [5]. The context-sensitive controls can also make taking down enemies quite finicky, depending on what they are doing. [6] Here the available action changes from Silent Takedown to Corner Cover and Batman stands up and raises his fists. The functions that the buttons share are the same whether you use a controller or a mouse and keyboard [7]. They cannot be separated.

New:

The predator maps are highly context-sensitive, with playground floor grills, catwalks, gargoyles and other designated spots favored over natural movement, so densely packed together that the player inevitably performs the wrong actions or struggles to prompt the desired one. They crouch by a railing in order to hang, but the game keeps offering corner cover. They try to go under a grate, but the game pulls them towards another waist-high object. The run button also being the interact button while crouched means that Batman will attach to these waist-high objects as you switch back and forth between the crouch and upright movement. Mouse and keyboard users have all these functions assigned the Spacebar and controller users to the bottom face button. Everyone is affected. But at least for controller users the smoke pellet only takes over the counter and stealth takedowns when they are discovered. For those of us who use a mouse and keyboard, the single smoke pellet that Batman carries also supplants the aiming of all other gadgets, making it even easier to deploy it by accident. Controller users also don't aim gadgets when they mean to perform stealth takedowns. Both are handled with the right mouse button, unfortunately. You can't even separate from certain walls without giving away your position.

Now that I understand, I moved the scene at 17:48 to the part where I say, "In fact, I would let the player take [grab] enemies in combat as well, if they can get behind or beside them. No reason for the mechanics to change just because Batman has been discovered." Since it's still twitchy context-sensitive BS, context being mechanical transitions from action to stealth.

I hoped that my computer finished encoding the corrected version when I got home today, but it went to sleep again, causing Shotcut to fail again. I even put the power settings on "high performance." It shouldn't be the "Turn off disc after" setting, since it encoded several hours before going to sleep and failing. Whatever, will just encode while I'm home and awake. Not even embarrassed about uploading the video again, since I've only posted it here and it got almost no traffic compared to the skill videos with basically shitpost titles. But I don't care. Will keep it as the main video (corrected one, I mean, after it's uploaded).

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
I'm not going to watch the video (I looked briefly - be aware you are far more listenable on 1.25x speed and you could just do this yourself in one simple step via editing) and only briefly skimmed the transcript, but just want to congratulate you and pay my respects towards a very justified takedown of this VERY shit game so I don't have to be the one to do it. :salute:

You have to be braindead to like this game. The people that do enable the awful practices of this industry and are the very definition of what is wrong with mindless consumers with zero standards. It's times like these the codex redeems itself.

I would watch the video but I just don't hate this game enough, as while it has many dumbass vocal fans almost nobody runs around the internet claiming it is the best of action material (that I've seen) or make WILD false claims about it like some ill-informed gamers do for certain other games (e.g Chrono Trigger, Halo, Goldeneye, Bioshock). That shit forces me to dispel the fake news.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Oh and by the way, if you're aiming to make a career out of this, you probably aren't going to get one hating on beloved games the drooling masses suck off. You obviously spent a very long time on this but it's not going to work. Sorry. Not how the world operates. I wish it were. You get my subscription, respect and thumbs up but don't expect much more than that. If you seriously want to try, you really gotta optimize your performance, editing, script etc. Not that it is BAD, there is just a marked difference between this and someone like civvie + time is valuable. You could probably make this takedown in 30 mins max if you condensed it + speed it up, without really losing anything.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
I would watch the video but I just don't hate this game enough, as while it has many dumbass vocal fans almost nobody runs around the internet claiming it is the best of action material (that I've seen) or make WILD false claims about it like some ill-informed gamers do for certain other games (e.g Chrono Trigger, Halo, Goldeneye). That shit forces me to dispel the fake news.
Did it because I'm a Batman fan. Well, SOME Batman. I know I wouldn't have even gotten into the game in 2014 if it wasn't about Batman. Remember initially being disgusted with the combat in that first brawl in front of the church and then nearly dropping it, remember always disliking the art style. Played the first game with my brother maybe two years before, remember we both found it OKAY. Which is partly why I say this near the end of the video: "I wonder how profitable and influential the Arkham series would have been if it wasn't about Batman. Do people really like the gameplay, design and art direction THAT much?" I wouldn't have given a damn if it wasn't Batman. But it fails at being Batman too.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Oh and by the way, if you're aiming to make a career out of this, you probably aren't going to get one hating on beloved games the drooling masses suck off. You obviously spent a very long time on this but it's not going to work. Sorry. Not how the world operates. I wish it were. You get my subscription, respect and thumbs up but don't expect much more than that. If you seriously want to try, you really gotta optimize your performance, editing, script etc. Not that it is BAD, there is just a marked difference between this and someone like civvie + time is valuable. You could probably make this takedown in 30 mins max if you condensed it + speed it up, without really losing anything.
I don't want to cut anything I said.

Not interested in monetization.

monetize.jpg

I couldn't even monetize the 2 1/2 hour Crazy Taxi video that I'm proud of because of The Offspring and Bad Religion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom