Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Then he should be removed from thee codex, afaik we frown upon developer impersonators, DarkUnderlord? perhaps also ban any linked main account.

Project: Eternity
How I would "fix" BG2:
A few more NPC interjections in dialogue (especially from the more obscure NPCs) - just for flavor, no new outcomes.
Replace all jewelry that sells for less than 100g with just gold rewards. So, the rewards would be the same, just less inventory fiddling with 20g necklaces from kobolds etc.
Bug fixes and improved pathfinding.

That's it. Nothing else.
I would also do something so game don't run like shit when there are several horrid wiltings casted.

Krivol

Magister
Ok, I've finished this game, all new things - underdark 'campaign' , all four characters and their additional quests. Some thoughts...

1. Underdark arena "campaign"

Well... It's not bad, I mean plot is silly, exp rewards are broken and this underground vault with silfeblins, duregars, ilithid, djin and beholder is like PALACE OF AWESOMENESS, but... Most dialogues are vocalized and not bad acted (heard worse), and arenas are great to test your dreamed party in some 'not-so-tought' fights. But... well, in BG normally you can't play a whole pre-made party, so... hmm... it's rather useless. And really, if you are not a freak who is thinking 'what's better, kensai/mage or ranger/druid?' all day long, you just will not replay this. Some fights are a bit tricky, but mostly nothing special.

2. Followers.

3 of them are shit. Neera is annoying, a bit better version of Aerie (in matter of character and voice), Dorn is banal/shit/boring evil NPC with all that 'i don't trust anyone because my parents loved their jobs more than me' shit (but he is very powerfull with a bit OP sword for the start and totally riddicullus class) and Rashit is... oh, so cliche, good person with so banal story... And he is a monk. MONK! LOW LEVEL MONK! Absolutly shit in fight, moving fast enought to be in front line of every battle, with poor AC and not so good damage. But his story ends with the best belt in the game, so you just have to nurse this baby...

And Baeloth - is totally OP. But fun. I mean he is another drow (oh god i hate those creatures!), but more like Jarlaxle than Drizzt so not that bad. Nice voice, nice voice acting and totally devastating power. I like him. But... Evil party has Edvin, why they decided to give them another so powerfull spellcaster?

3. New locations and items.

All new locations are banal, shit, boring. Writting added to followers stories is bad, maybe sometimes on par to BG writting, because BG writing is IMO mostly medicore. And graphics of new locations are pretty bad. All I can tell about it.

New items are good! Really - maybe I would change some localizations, like very decent mace in one of Beregost inns is shit. But I very like new items. I allways dreamed about spear +2 in BG1 or about +1 Katana in BGT. Belt from Rashit quest is a bit OP for fighters or clerics (makes your strenght 19, but intellignece 6), but you have to get through monk quest to get it and this is painful.

4. Enhancements

OK, this is silly. I have the latest patch. And this game is not enhanced at all. It's nerfed! For god's sake in terms of bugs and wrong behavior of your teammates is WORSE THAN VANILLA BG1! Scripts are messed, often CTD, triggers are missing, sometimes game doesn't know you did a quest... It's annoying!

Balance is shit - you still have all this OP classes and there are some classes nobody will play because they are good very late in BG2. They said they would enhance BG, and what, made worse version of BGT? WHY? INSANE!

I was dreaming about possibility of having 2 weapons in both hands and a bow in weapon slot - like in ID2. Nope, no enhance here. No at all.

And menus colours are just... OH GOD! Rape of good taste!

All good thing are: zooming (not very important, but nice) and fast saveing/loading. All about enhanting.

TL;DR

SHIT! It's better to rape your ear with a nail than playing this game.

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
I was dreaming about possibility of having 2 weapons in both hands and a bow in weapon slot - like in ID2. Nope, no enhance here. No at all.

We could code this up pretty easily, but it would invalidate your old savegames i.e. make the save format incompatible with the previous versions.

FWIW, it's still being looked into.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
And Baeloth - is totally OP. But fun. I mean he is another drow (oh god i hate those creatures!), but more like Jarlaxle than Drizzt so not that bad. Nice voice, nice voice acting and totally devastating power. I like him. But... Evil party has Edvin, why they decided to give them another so powerfull spellcaster?
Wait, what? There's another companion I missed?

April

Educated

We could code this up pretty easily, but it would invalidate your old savegames i.e. make the save format incompatible with the previous versions.

If this was done I don't think the majority would care if their old savegames got useless.

A huge warning on the update screen should be enough. Then people can opt not to update if they can't be arsed to replay their game.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

I think he was added in a recent update or was DLC. One of the two.

Krivol

Magister

Yes, he is hidden (you need to go to specific place and wait few seconds for cut-scene to start) and totally overpowered.

Normally save-breaking additions are the kind of thing that you add for a major release. So how about that BG:EE:EE?

Krivol

Magister

Normally save-breaking additions are the kind of thing that you add for a major release. So how about that BG:EE:EE?

But this is pretty big, I believe it will be released with BG:EE:EE:EE

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
When I read there is a "campaign" in the underdark I thought I might want to give it a try since I love that place, but then I looked at some screenshots:

di-CVNS.jpg

Is that really how those new areas look? Such a blurry mess? oO

Krivol

Magister
Well, this screen is actually from main campagin. Underdark areas are... well, round arenas, nothing else (oh and prison/shopping location, meaningless too). Underdark 'campagin' is fine to check your imagined party in battle, but most of them are easy or have one solution, so after two-three times you will get nothing from them. Or you could try soloing this, but this doesn't sound fun.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yes, the new areas are very blurry looking for some reason. They look like they were made in a shitty RTS engine from c. 2001 and then messed with in Photoshop.

baldr011.png

I couldn't find a great picture of it, but yeah, that's not even the worst the game looks. Just check out those awesome low-res textures!

dunno lah

Arcane
When I read there is a "campaign" in the underdark I thought I might want to give it a try since I love that place, but then I looked at some screenshots:

di-CVNS.jpg

:eek: They dare call this Enhanced Edition?!

marooned

Liturgist
Mostly because fan made areas are ripped from somewhere else, but yeah. Crap job there.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yes, the new areas are very blurry looking for some reason. They look like they were made in a shitty RTS engine from c. 2001 and then messed with in Photoshop.

baldr011.png

I couldn't find a great picture of it, but yeah, that's not even the worst the game looks. Just check out those awesome low-res textures!

Hey now, you can do a much better job than that in Photoshop.

Stabwound

Arcane
Yep, that's Trent Oster with his diarrhea art skills. Just take some shit and run it through a blur filter -> "ENHANCED!"

The best part is that he has his fanbase of idiots sucking his dick over this abomination. Thanks for reviving CRPGs, Trent.

:rage:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom