Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

poetic codex

Augur
This site gives BG2:EE 2/5...for all the wrong reasons: http://www.twinfinite.net/blog/2013/11/16/baldurs-gate-2-review/

Warning: EXTREME popamole inside.

I didn't read the review, but give the guy some slack. It looks like he never played the original game. Especially for someone who never played the tabletop version, or someone coming from D&D 3.0, you gotta admit that AD&D rules are quite cryptic . THAC0 is also very counter-intuitive. Once you figure it out, it's easy but it's still very counter-intuitive. BG2's spells system is very rich and it took me a while to learn the cool spell combos, enemy mage debuffs vs party debuffs etc. Maybe he's not popamole so much as just new to Baldur's Gate ?

titus

Arcane
Patron
I didn't read the review, but give the guy some slack. It looks like he never played the original game. Especially for someone who never played the tabletop version, or someone coming from D&D 3.0, you gotta admit that AD&D rules are quite cryptic . THAC0 is also very counter-intuitive. Once you figure it out, it's easy but it's still very counter-intuitive. BG2's spells system is very rich and it took me a while to learn the cool spell combos, enemy mage debuffs vs party debuffs etc. Maybe he's not popamole so much as just new to Baldur's Gate ?
How about he reads the fucking manual, then. It's not exactly rocket science.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
you gotta admit that AD&D rules are quite cryptic

Damned straight they are! Horrible design.

However, lack of documentation isn't one of Baldur's Gate's problems. For the most part, you can pick up a manual/player's handbook and read how to play.

Modern gamers faulting old games for being obscure because of lack of documentation = totally cool. Fuck that shit.

Modern gamers faulting old games for being obscure when they could RTFM = Fuck 'em.

Would a streamlined tutorial be better? I guess. Does its lack make the game unplayable? LOL

I played this game when I was like 12 and didn't understand English much less fuckin' AD&D.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

I'd agree with this, if he were a 15-year old, but his comment about the Commodore Vic just gives him away as a troll. AD&D was around for a LONG time, and a LOT of games were released that used it. The odds of him being a gamer for 25-30 years and NOT having ever come across a game that used the AD&D system, even on Commodores, is pretty much zero.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
you gotta admit that AD&D rules are quite cryptic

Damned straight they are! Horrible design.

However, lack of documentation isn't one of Baldur's Gate's problems. For the most part, you can pick up a manual/player's handbook and read how to play.

Modern gamers faulting old games for being obscure because of lack of documentation = totally cool. Fuck that shit.

Modern gamers faulting old games for being obscure when they could RTFM = Fuck 'em.

Would a streamlined tutorial be better? I guess. Does its lack make the game unplayable? LOL

I played this game when I was like 12 and didn't understand English much less fuckin' AD&D.

Same here, getting a dictionary and reading is quite hard nowadays it seems.

Edit: Also FFS it is not hard to search with the help of internet... I'm pretty sure you'll get pages of info when you google "THAC0" even game comes without documents...

Last edited:

poetic codex

Augur
^Ok, I'll read the review then. Perhaps the bashing is justified.

Edit: Done. Ok, it's a severe case of RTFM, but still, coming from the perspective of someone new to both AD&D and Baldur's Gate, the review still offers some valid critique. Anyway I would imagine that the market for the enhanced games is mainly people who played the originals so it's not really meant for people like him.

Perhaps BG 3 from Trent Oster and Co. would be more beginner friendly. They're only using these enhanced versions to fund BG 3 if I understand it correctly.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Mandatory
29861da16bc6339014e18a006b0f7901

He looks like Sheldon in Big Bang Theory with glasses and facial hair. Maybe he's the Bizarro Sheldon who is not even smart enough to read the manual?

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
In that time I have accumulated a massive video game collection and greatly enjoy diving into unknown sub-genre's featuring forgotten mechanics. When not studying games I might be doing school work, or making cocktails. Or juggling knives.
I guess "studying games" doesn't include reading the manual.

Delterius

Arcane
Funny because I just had a talk about how a lot of people overreact about shit like THAC0. As someone who have never had any contact with tabletop gaming, at all, I can safely say that the rules weren't that counterintuitive back when I played the game.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Yep, that's a seriously retarded review. At least the idiot is getting toasted in the comments.

Maybe Beamdog should've taken Hepler's advice and implemented a "skip combat" button. :P

Delterius

Arcane
Well, the thing is, the first time I played Baldur's Gate (1) was in 2010. The first and only time I played Baldur's Gate 2 was in 2011. Back then I had similar thoughts as the guy did, such as 'Why the hell would a smaller number mean greater power (THAC0)' but I kinda expected weird stuff. I was playing a 10 year old game. Afterwards (I mean, 5 minutes into the game), I read on the game's systems - the manual - and all doubts were cleared.

So that's the thing: the review reads like the tale of a ragequit. Nothing more.

That said, have people no notion of time? Don't people know that conventions are built over time?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I was afraid that BG2 EE will end up being a decline as their bug forum was rather boring initially, but it's back to being pretty michaeljacksonpopcorn.gif now that few days passed since the release and I'm enjoying it.

poetic codex

Augur
Well, I was trying to see the review strictly from a beginner's perspective. In my defense, this part here is pure derp and inexcusable:

Also, how the hell does magic work? I eventually figured out resting gives you your spells back, but it took far too long. This is just another instance of the game assuming that the player is coming into the game with prior knowledge.

LeJosh

Savant
Prior knowledge of resting?

"THEY HAVE TO SLEEP TO REJUVENATE THEIR MIND SPELLZ DA FUQ"

Holy fucking shit: the retardation, it's too much.

:retarded::negative:

Thank goodness the comments is just RTFM comments. I guess that was some of you guys?

Malpercio

Arcane
This site gives BG2:EE 2/5...for all the wrong reasons: http://www.twinfinite.net/blog/2013/11/16/baldurs-gate-2-review/

Warning: EXTREME popamole inside.

Bullshit. I knew shit about D&D when i played BG2 and yet I did just fine.

Not to mention dude is a reviewer so he should at least try to get informed.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is just another instance of the game assuming that the player is coming into the game with prior knowledge.

It's a SEQUEL. You are SUPPOSED to play the game with PRIOR KNOWLEDGE.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The reviewer is still young enough to be in school yet old enough to have played games on the VIC-20? :retarded:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The reviewer is still young enough to be in school yet old enough to have played games on the VIC-20? :retarded:

Maybe Trent worked his magic and managed to make a Vic-20 version?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom