Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Owlcat Game So Far

Best Owlcat Game so Far?

• Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Votes: 39 38.6%
  • Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 34 33.7%

• Total voters
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not completely fair because Rogue Trader still needs some time to develop, but I'm impatient.

Personally my vote is for Kingmaker.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Kingmaker is the best. No mythic super duper hyper vyper Babaus, the bloat is only in the very last chapter and in a smaller degree.

WoTR has too much bloat mainly in chapter 4+

And Rogue Trader is the unique which I dropped. It has 3.5e epic level tier of bloat + 4e tier of gamey nonsensical stuff. Psyker powers are 4e tier trash, to have a notion of the bloat random nobodies in chapter 5 have more hp than chaos space marines.

Although Kingmaker may have the less bloat, I think I slightly prefer Wrath of the Righteous.

1. Better UI/UX
2. Better Soundtrack.
3. Better graphics fidelity.

But the bloats are just insane and I almost can't stand a Video Game, claiming to be a "Roleplaying Game", while 90% you do in the "RPG" is Fighting.

It would've been a better games without kingdom management and crusader system.

This is hard but I’m going with WOTR. The mystic paths are fun and give you the ability to replay it a bunch of times. Also I thought it had cooler combat encounters then Kingmaker. Killing demons is more fun to me then fey.

Sweeper

Arcane
I haven't played any of the others, but I'm pretty confident in my decision to vote for PFKM.

goregasm

Scholar
I have only played kingmaker, so voted for that. The sequel seemed to be a more "epic" game and passed on it (so far) for a number of reasons, kind of prefer the more low level adventure style of the first one, the companions seem meh, lots of awful shit popped up here with the writing, so figured it can wait.

Haven't picked up RT yet due to trying to get through my backlog, Kingmaker is a fine game and the overall view of RT seems positive, I just think Owlcat does some seriously awful shit with characters that I have no interest in.

goregasm

Scholar
I literally stopped playing Kingmaker 45mins in because I couldn't be bothered with being lectured by a bunch of ugly strong womyn companions lol.
Haven't tried any of the rest after that.
I tend to drop the barb and fighter chicks due to their utterly annoying writing, the dwarf and undead elf were fairly interesting, never used the black guy with a dawg.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
s, kind of prefer the more low level adventure style of the first one

Kingmaker is not low level. You can fight archfey, dragons, fight an ancient cyclops lich and get 9th tier spells. Not mentioning defeating the spawn of Rovagug.

Is just that Wrath took the epicness to the extreme. Is more epic than NWN1 - hotu. In hotu, you spend like 1/3 of the game trying to find the true name of a archfiend to have a tiny chance of victory against him. In WoTR, the same archfiend is a random enemy in Azata mythic path.

bunch of ugly strong womyn companions lol.

The Barbarian chick is ostracized by her village and fails at every challenge that she imposes upon herself.

The one where they drop a good third of their copypasta combat...

Seriously, overall Kingmaker. In particular the early stages. Plus the chapter with the plague, where you got to do some light detective work as a welcome change of pace to all the copypasta combat.Also fond memories to exploring the Narlmarches to this. Still not going back to it as the end game was pure grind.

goregasm

Scholar
s, kind of prefer the more low level adventure style of the first one

Kingmaker is not low level. You can fight archfey, dragons, fight an ancient cyclops lich and get 9th tier spells. Not mentioning defeating the spawn of Rovagug.

Is just that Wrath took the epicness to the extreme. Is more epic than NWN1 - hotu. In hotu, you spend like 1/3 of the game trying to find the true name of a archfiend to have a tiny chance of victory against him. In WoTR, the same archfiend is a random enemy in Azata mythic path.

bunch of ugly strong womyn companions lol.

The Barbarian chick is ostracized by her village and fails at every challenge that she imposes upon herself.
I don't deal with all of that nerd shit. I just want a stronghold.

Seriously though, that's sort of what I mean, haven't played WOTR but it does seem like they turned everything to 11 and it's kind of too much for me to even care, I like some epicness, building up to it, or it being optional, but if it's just throwing it at you at every turn it loses its charm.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That's a shame, since that's one of those things I really never liked about the BioWare AD&D games. BioWare can't help themselves from making things as uber-epic as possible, so it comes off as playing AD&D with a teenage DM. I also really like Pathfinder, since I think 3.5e was the peak of Dungeons & Dragons, and Paizo took it in a much better direction than WotC took Dungeons & Dragons with 4e and 5e.

The only one I've played is Wrath of the Righteous, and I didn't get very far in it before I was distracted by something else. I think I own Kingmaker, but I have yet to try it.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I find it very hard to pick between Kingmaker and Wrath. If I were solely going on my first playthroughs I think it would be Kingmaker, given that the reviews were a bit mixed when I picked it up I was blown away by how much I enjoyed it, but when I go to replay it find it difficult to motivate myself past the slower parts.

Wrath has some of the same issues but the Mythic Path system and increased reactivity offers just enough novelty to motivate me through the mediocre parts in order to see what changes. Overall I think I'd go with Wrath just because of the added replayability, but Kingmaker is a bit more coherent and feels more grounded so I understand why others might like it more.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I enjoyed KM, especially when turn based was in and with some mods. I didn't mind the management much, although the artisan stuff was pretty retarded. Overall, I think it was a pretty good game.

Wrath on the other hand I never finished. I managed to get to Midnight Isle and lost interest there, because fighting the same shit over and over again with no challenge at all became boring fast. And since I played the PNP adventure path, it felt very cheap compared to what our GM did.

Did not play RT yet, still waiting for the fixed version.

Rhobar121

Scholar
The last time I played Kingsmaker the game was almost unplayable. So a simple choice.

FalloutBR

Educated
Kingmaker's story and theme are much better, but I'd say that WoTR is overall the superior game due to the more refined turn-based system and the fact that it just has more of everything. I don't understand the bloat complaint. Apart from a few crappy dungeons (e.g., Blackwater) and some segments with too much throwaway combat, most of the content is above average for today's CRPG standards.

Rogue Trader's third act is sadly so lackluster and unfinished that I don't think it would even qualify as a complete game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom