Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best PC games of the past 4 years

Korgan

Arbiter
sabishii said:
Star Wars Battlefront (both) were really fun single-player-wise.

Tell me I didn't see this.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I'd say Europa Universalis and its expansions. I've played the game the most in the last four years.

And also MVP baseball 2005. I know this genre is anathema to most here, but before EA was put out of baseball license bidding war by 2K, it was one of the best depictions of the sport that was at least comparable to its console version. The fan community support has been nothing short of sustaining the entire franchise without a single contribution from the developer and it still is one of the most played and popular sports game on the PC to date. There is a foreboding that EA will just screw the community over after it resumes its MLB license, but the rapidly failing genre can highlight certain gems.

Letum Fol

Novice
Civ IV
Galactic Civilizations 2 with expansion
Sins of a Solar Empire
Company of Heroes
Bioshock
Crysis
Rome: Total War

That's all I can think of now.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
without RPGs:

-Rome and Medieval 2
-Dawn of War + Expansions (except Shitstorm)
-Farcry and Crysis (singleplayer)
-UT2004 (multiplayer)

guess i should mention CoH too but i never really played it that much since you couldnt play the good guys in the campaign :twisted:

other than that not its not really been a good timespan for games. very few interesting strategy games released that were remotely interesting and the shooter genre has the same problem as hack n slashes: there are shittons of shooters but most are utter crap or at best mediocre rehashs of the same old gameplay in a different scenario.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ricolikesrice said:
guess i should mention CoH too but i never really played it that much since you couldnt play the good guys in the campaign :twisted:

Heh, same here. Always played skirmishes, never really touched the campaign [only played the first two missions to get familiar with the basics of the game mechanics].
Played the German campaign in the expansion though.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alright. I liked that game. Why? Cause it's got really nice combat with a lot of tactical options.

Basically, the game begins slowly but then gets better and better. You control big spaceships in tactical space-battles. There are many options, and before each battle you can equip your ships with different weapons. There's anti-shield weapons, lasers [to target specific parts of enemy ships] and ballistic weapons [to damage hull]. You have many tactical options, like deciding which part of your ship gets how much of the battery power [for example, you can take the engines down to get more energy on the weapons and shields], you can target specific parts of enemy ships, you can use fighter squads to attack enemy ships.

If you're a graphics whore, you also won't be disappointed, as the graphics are pretty gorgeous. The interface is rather simple to use, and once you memorized the controls it's really easy to maneuver and do stuff on the map.

Really good game, worth trying out. Maybe you could check if there's a demo.

Comrade Hamster

Liturgist
ricolikesrice said:
-Rome and Medieval 2
Rome: Total War was alright, but Medieval: Total War 2 completely sucked ass. Bring back the Risk boards, Creative Assembly/SEGA!

JarlFrank said:
Alright. I liked that game. Why? Cause it's got really nice combat with a lot of tactical options.

Basically, the game begins slowly but then gets better and better. You control big spaceships in tactical space-battles. There are many options, and before each battle you can equip your ships with different weapons. There's anti-shield weapons, lasers [to target specific parts of enemy ships] and ballistic weapons [to damage hull]. You have many tactical options, like deciding which part of your ship gets how much of the battery power [for example, you can take the engines down to get more energy on the weapons and shields], you can target specific parts of enemy ships, you can use fighter squads to attack enemy ships.

If you're a graphics whore, you also won't be disappointed, as the graphics are pretty gorgeous. The interface is rather simple to use, and once you memorized the controls it's really easy to maneuver and do stuff on the map.

Really good game, worth trying out. Maybe you could check if there's a demo.
Sounds good. I might have to. It'd probably be better than the massive clusterfuck battles of SoaSE.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Portal
Bioshock
F.E.A.R.
Half Life 2++
Stalker
Far Cry
Hitman:Blood Money
Civ4
The Chronicles of Riddick
Rome: Total War
Thief: Deadly Shadows
CoD4
Splinter Cell+++

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Comrade Hamster said:
ricolikesrice said:
-Rome and Medieval 2
Rome: Total War was alright, but Medieval: Total War 2 completely sucked ass. Bring back the Risk boards, Creative Assembly/SEGA!

yeah rome was definitly better but with the frequent mentions of shallow, mediocre crap like Bioshock, CoD4, Half Life 2 etc in this thread i thought i could let it slip under the radar =(

that nexus game looks interesting, gotta try the demo - havent played a good space game in quite a while and sins wasnt really my cup of tea.

Fenril

Scholar
Mount and Blade
Space Rangers 2
Beyond Divinity
Gothic 3
Civ IV

Off the top of my head.

Fenril

Scholar
Blame my poor taste or the industry, im sure theres a couple more, bloodlines is another if it was released after 2004, not sure it was. Maybe I would like the witcher if my PC was up to it, cant really think of anything else.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thief: DS [Only for the Cradle]
Farcry [If you think away the aliens]
Chronicles of Riddick [Only good movie-game ever and a kickass one at that.]

And... yeah, that's all modern games I played and liked from 2004+. I'd likely include Mask of the Betrayer there if it ran on my computer. And Kotor 2 is also in that list, but I don't remember if it was a 2004+ game.

Oh, and Splinter Cell made me vomit. That game was just too awful. I can tell it has promise, but the first three missions of the first game were still awful enough for me to throw away my 3-in-1 all SC games pack I got somewhere for 10 bucks. It was like Thief, but [even more ] linearl evels and minus all the things that made Thief great.

Inziladun

Magister

You should try the Stainless Steel mod for Medieval 2: Total War. It really enhances things quite a bit.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's prolly why I didn't like it. I thought it would be like Thief when I bought it, and then the disappointment that it wasn't was so big that I couldn't appreciate it for whatever merits it may have had.

Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Games that made me warm and fuzzy inside:

- Portal
- FEAR
- Company of Heroes
- Dawn of War (with expansions)
- Hitman: Blood Money
- Painkiller (not the expansion)
- Brothers in Arms

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom