Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Gerrard

Arcane
Excellence in Technical Achievement: Fallout 4 is a nominee haha
It's also in "Excellence in Design (Awarded to the game with the best overall design concept and best execution)".
:troll:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
plRdc2J.gif

Beth could not even into untying game logic from framerate in 2015. Talented devs already knew how to do this right back in the early 90s

Do you have examples? I can recall some obscure Russian FPS physics engines from after the turn of the millennium that aren't affected by framerate, but otherwise I can't really think of any games that aren't fucked up once you go up to 250.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Almost all of those nominations are just pure crap.

I'm thinking they just had each writer for the site write their favourite game of the year on a slip of paper, pulled 5 of them out of a hat, then added them back in and then repeated the process for each category.

plRdc2J.gif

Beth could not even into untying game logic from framerate in 2015. Talented devs already knew how to do this right back in the early 90s

Do you have examples? I can recall some obscure Russian FPS physics engines from after the turn of the millennium that aren't affected by framerate, but otherwise I can't really think of any games that aren't fucked up once you go up to 250.

While true, he's talking about something different.
As you'll see from the video, by uncapping the framerate and having the FPS double, the game is effectively in a turbo mode in which you move twice as fast, attack twice as fast, jump (and fall) twice as fast, load levels twice as fast (lol!), etc.
aka, all the logic is tied directly to framerate.

Most PC games since the 90's feature variable rate physics, usually it doesn't cap out, so at very high framerates the movements end up being really small, so the safeguards/hacks they put in place to stabilise things simply no longer work.
Gaining more popularity in recent years is the practice to run the physics engine at a fixed framerate (eg, 200Hz) so it makes fixed sized steps regardless of the actual framerate.
It has the benefit of keeping things nice. smooth, and consistent, but it does mean if physics is tanking your FPS, your FPS will absolutely go down the shitter.
It also means there's very little benefit to having a framerate that exceeds that of the physics engine.

Astral Rag

Arcane
@sexbad, the id games for example. Those games run at fixed tickrates. It doesn't matter if you get 250 or 36 frames per second because the game's logic always runs at the same speed. For Wolf 3D this is 70 tics for Doom 35.

Tying game logic directly to fps is considered a rookie mistake in this day and age.

Last edited:
How can they be "legally covered"? Isn't this a clear case of embezzlement?

He probably signed a really weak contract with the other guys, maybe didn't even sign anything and only had an oral agreement. Sort of like those guys who were making the minecraft clone and signed a contract with a guy for $x0k that didn't prevent him from taking the money and running after a single week of work.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
@sexbad, the id games for example. Those games run at a fixed tickrate. It doesn't matter if you get 250 or 36 frames per second because the game's logic always runs at the same speed. For the original Wolf 3D this is 70 tics for Doom 35 and 20 tics in Q3 IIRC.

Tying game logic to fps is considered a rookie mistake in this day and age.
Not totally true imho, at least in what I've experienced with the Quake engines. Too high a framerate can make falling do less damage. Way too high a framerate can make you float around when you try to walk down stairs. I also once played GLQuake without any sort of framerate cap, and it ran at ultra speed. This may not be the case in multiplayer, if there's some sort of server-side agent regulating physics calculations, but this kind of thing has certainly happened. It's mostly not to the extent of FO4, but there still seems to be some shenanigans with physics that are affected by framerate in old engines.

It definitely existed, Quake players would specifically limit their FPS to 125 since it was a breakpoint for slightly further jumping and going higher (e.g. to 250) was "cheating". But the point is that this was the result of rough edges in the FPS-moderation system due to rounding errors and bugs at absurdly high FPS. Fallout 4 has no such system, it has a 1:1 FPS:Gamespeed correlation

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane

He probably signed a really weak contract with the other guys, maybe didn't even sign anything and only had an oral agreement. Sort of like those guys who were making the minecraft clone and signed a contract with a guy for $x0k that didn't prevent him from taking the money and running after a single week of work.

I remember similair case.
Wasn't that Minecraft channel (iirc Yogcast) who wanted to do some MMO, gave the job to unknown fella who run away?

He didn't run away, they just paid him upfront and the contract allowed him to quit with no strings attached.
Oh right.
Still - stupid. But that's yT Minecraft business for kid. You don't need to be intelligent.

Last edited:

I remember similair case.
Wasn't that Minecraft channel (iirc Yogcast) who wanted to do some MMO, gave the job to unknown fella who run away?

He didn't run away, they just paid him upfront and the contract allowed him to quit with no strings attached.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, they forgot to put language in his contract which specified how long he had to stay on the project and how much content he had to produce. So he worked on it for about two weeks, then legally walked out with his $10,000 lump payment, and there was nothing they could do about it.

That kickstarter was a disaster, if that wasn't obvious.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Parents of autistic child sure are special snowflakes sometimes. I once someone on a forum saying she was so glad her kid was autistic, that in no way she hoped he would become normal.
In a world where everybody is trying to special, the only thing they can seem to achieve is to be retarded. Which is success, I guess, in a way. Except when everyone is also retarded.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Parents of autistic child sure are special snowflakes sometimes. I once someone on a forum saying she was so glad her kid was autistic, that in no way she hoped he would become normal.
In a world where everybody is trying to special, the only thing they can seem to achieve is to be retarded. Which is success, I guess, in a way. Except when everyone is also retarded.
These parents just want to be treated special by their peers for being brave and raising a retarded child. They don't actually care about their child's well being. And considering many children these days are being diagnosed as autistic just like they were 20 years ago with ADD or ADHD, it means very little. Anything to be special I guess.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I don't get hate on autists/down syndrome folks.
It strongly imply that average human is intelligent life form, which is <chuckle> I mean <chuckle more> nevermind...

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Maybe they're familiar with the concept of it cause some Capcom game (SF4? RE5?) got it. You have locked content on disc, but need to throw few bucks so it unlock.
Pay2unLock my a$$...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-fan-made-to-destroy-his-records-for-a-refund

The Fallout fan made to destroy his records for a refund

The customer support team behind Bethesda's official store has made a Fallout fan smash their $125 limited edition vinyl soundtrack in order to gain a refund.

jpg

Paul Watson contacted the company after finding the first disc in his four-disc Fallout 3 soundtrack had arrived warped. (Full disclosure - Paul works over the other end of our office doing commercial things. Lovely guy.)

Watson provided photographic evidence and asked for a refund - which the provided. But on checking his account, it turned out he had only refunded $25 - the price of the one warped disc.

"Hello Paul," a "special tactics and reconnaissance" agent (aka customer support rep) wrote.

"You only showed that one of the records was damaged so we refunded you for that damaged record. If the other records are similarly affected, please provide photos. However if they are not affected and you still would like a full refund for the product, please follow the instructions below for this limited edition item.
  1. Destroy the other records
  2. Provide photos of the damaged records
"Once I get those photos I will happily refund you for your order. Thank you and have a wonderful day!"

Unable to get a replacement first disc, there was only one course of action left.

jpg

He's hacking and whacking and smacking.

Destroying goods to prove a purchaser is not simply trying to scam the seller is not unheard of when it comes companies granting refunds - but the destruction of a limited edition set of vinyl here seems somewhat unnecessary.

Regardless, Watson has now been told he qualifies for all of his money back.

UPDATE 4.00pm: "We are following up with ThinkGeek as it is not the kind of service we want folks to experience from our store," a Bethesda spokesperson told Eurogamer, referencing the company which runs the Bethesda official store.

lul

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom