Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
DraQ said:
Sceptic said:
:decline: of the Best Thread Ever.

:decline: of Jaesun

:decline: of RPG Codex

ITZ COMING

(actually decline of ITZ too while we're at it)
This.

Intense-Rage-Guy.jpg
Jaesun, I know you're a gay, but I've never suspected you of being such a gigantic faggot.
Son, I am disappoint.
:(
:salute:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
http://techland.time.com/2011/03/09/dra ... -champion/

McFaggerson said:
Official Techland Score: 9.7 out of 10

McFaggerson said:
The other major complaint with DA:O was how the combat mechanic required you to constantly pause to manage your party. It was one of the reasons I never finished the game, because I didn't quite get the flow I wanted to when skirmishing. DA2 addresses that by providing a mix of real-time combat and squad control.

McFaggerson said:
Like many BioWare games, you're creating a skein of memories in Dragon Age 2. The Edmonton dev studio knows how to craft dramatic plots, strong characters and compelling conflicts. It made me, with my lifelong aversion to fantasy trappings, care about dwarves and mages and templar knights. Dragon Age 2, through improved gameplay, offers a grand adventure that lets players learn a little bit about themselves, too. Huzzah to that.

McFaggerson said:
I feel like the strategy is still there, though, but there's also a more action-oriented option. And don't take away that I feel that the depth is gone. It's still a big, rich world but a more contained one.

:retarded:

circ

Arcane
CappenVarra said:
http://techland.time.com/2011/03/09/dragon-age-2-review-heavyweight-champion/

McFaggerson said:
Official Techland Score: 9.7 out of 10

McFaggerson said:
Like many BioWare games, you're creating a skein of memories in Dragon Age 2. The Edmonton dev studio knows how to craft dramatic plots, strong characters and compelling conflicts. It made me, with my lifelong aversion to fantasy trappings, care about dwarves and mages and templar knights. Dragon Age 2, through improved gameplay, offers a grand adventure that lets players learn a little bit about themselves, too. Huzzah to that.
Ah yes, I thought bro betraying bro was decent. But am I supposed to give a shit about Bethany? I didn't. Mom? I didn't. I was too busy checking loot to give a shit about my PC crying about mom. I did get a little teary eyed when everyone else said they were sorry about mom dying though. But it served no purpose, and afterwards everyone was like DIE BY MY SWORD FOOL!

McFaggerson said:
I feel like the strategy is still there, though, but there's also a more action-oriented option. And don't take away that I feel that the depth is gone. It's still a big, rich world but a more contained one.
I must be too retarded to see any semblance of strategy. And rich world, just contained. GOLD! MOTHERFUCKING MANHOLE GAPING GOLD! It's not contained, the entire game could have taken place in the same tiny linear alley and you wouldn't have noticed would you?

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Is Mastermind a secret weeabo?
Torment's plot is 800,000 words of the developers trying to be profound in the same way hipsters do. The plot is incredibly pretentious and artsy-fartsy--additionally, the game world is just too weird. It's weird for the sake of being weird.

PS:T reminds me of those "classic" novels you have to read in literature class. Chris Avellone should really stick to post-apocalyptia.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=3535173

Then again Mastermind doesn't like DA2.
People are butthurt because they can't deus ex machina/godmode sue the story into a shiny-happy-kittens-and-rainbows Good End. DA2's story is supremely fucked up, and it doesn't end with a glorious Lord of the Rings-style showdown with an obvious evil where everyone cries manly tears of GAR-ness.

It ends in a very shitty situation that is a lot more like reality than Origins' ending.

Anyway, we should recruit that guy for the codex if he isn't already here. For good lulz!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm bringing this back with a recent blog entry from Princess Stomper of the Bethstapo.
I’ ve always hated turn-based games. I just get bored waiting to have my go, by which point I’m so impatient I just make any move without any thought of strategy, and thus don’t do very well. I just don’t find them entertaining. I managed four hours of Fallout, two hours of Fallout 2, and have never completed a game of chess. At least I don’t think I have. If I did, it was so boring I don’t remember. This is why we only play board games at Christmas, and even so, I prefer the fast-paced Boggle to the lumbering Monopoly.

Thus it was a welcome tweet from kateri_t that drew my attention to Chess Without Turns, a free-to-play browser game by indie designer Sosker. It’s specifically designed for those of us with the attention span of a toddler goldfish after too many sweets.

She’d spotted a post on the Indie Games blog praising the rapid-fire “action-packed arcade simulation” that trashes the conventional rules and favours speed over strategy. Player are automatically matched, with each moving their pieces at the same time. The winner is the one that completely eliminates their opponent.

It’s player-vs-player, so it does depend on there being other users online, but the game’s growing popularity suggests that finding a sparring partner won’t be too tricky. Indeed, when I tried it, I could have had a choice of matches had my adversary not been randomly selected. I spent my first few games just randomly clicking on as many pieces/squares as I could as fast as I could (and being humiliated by my opponents) until I noticed that you can learn how to play if you do it a few times. For a start, it helpfully lights up “legal” paths for your piece to take, which is great for those of us who don’t know our prawns from our horsies.

I won a few; I lost a few. Did I win more than I lost? Oh, I have no idea – I wasn’t paying attention.
Tim Cain's prediction from nearly nine years ago came true. Now it just needs the phat lewt.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I’ ve always hated turn-based games. I just get bored waiting to have my go, by which point I’m so impatient I just make any move without any thought of strategy, and thus don’t do very well. I just don’t find them entertaining. I managed four hours of Fallout, two hours of Fallout 2, and have never completed a game of chess.

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!

Redlands

Arcane
Does Princess Stomper stomp princesses, or are they the princess of the stompers?

Possibly a more useful question: who will Stomp the Stompers?

I've always thought of it as a Princess that Stomps. You know, hysterical like, when denied a treat or something. Seemed appropriate for exhibited behaviour.

piydek

Cipher
I've seen lots of crazy shit reported on the Codex, but this is seriously one of the most retarded things I've ever read. The second part where she talks about board games and chess and this new fucktard game she likes is just :retarded:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I’ ve always hated turn-based games. I just get bored waiting to have my go, by which point I’m so impatient I just make any move without any thought of strategy, and thus don’t do very well. I just don’t find them entertaining. I managed four hours of Fallout, two hours of Fallout 2, and have never completed a game of chess. At least I don’t think I have. If I did, it was so boring I don’t remember. This is why we only play board games at Christmas, and even so, I prefer the fast-paced Boggle to the lumbering Monopoly.

Thus it was a welcome tweet from kateri_t that drew my attention to Chess Without Turns, a free-to-play browser game by indie designer Sosker. It’s specifically designed for those of us with the attention span of a toddler goldfish after too many sweets.

She’d spotted a post on the Indie Games blog praising the rapid-fire “action-packed arcade simulation” that trashes the conventional rules and favours speed over strategy. Player are automatically matched, with each moving their pieces at the same time. The winner is the one that completely eliminates their opponent.

It’s player-vs-player, so it does depend on there being other users online, but the game’s growing popularity suggests that finding a sparring partner won’t be too tricky. Indeed, when I tried it, I could have had a choice of matches had my adversary not been randomly selected. I spent my first few games just randomly clicking on as many pieces/squares as I could as fast as I could (and being humiliated by my opponents) until I noticed that you can learn how to play if you do it a few times. For a start, it helpfully lights up “legal” paths for your piece to take, which is great for those of us who don’t know our prawns from our horsies.

I won a few; I lost a few. Did I win more than I lost? Oh, I have no idea – I wasn’t paying attention.

hanging-woman-1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom