Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yah I've noticed that a lot of people will criticize a system based on a flawed execution of it (it's possible for turn based to be fast and high intensity). I have also been guilty of this in regards to rtwp.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yah I've noticed that a lot of people will criticize a system based on a flawed execution of it (it's possible for turn based to be fast and high intensity). I have also been guilty of this in regards to rtwp.

Turn Based with time limit like Blood Bowl is actually kinda fast paced TBH, especially when you have to react to how the game changes on a turn by turn basis within 2 minutes. A lot of players formulate plans during the opponent's turn though, so as to spend less time pondering the moves on their clock. Also, unlike X-Com, one bad move and your whole team's turn ends prematurely, giving an opportunity for your opponent more opening to score etc. Now that's a big fear factor for risky plays.

Luzur

Good Sir
just wanted to tip you guys about these guys:

although i miss a more codex option of these kinds of videos, US Codex bros get out on the town!

Machocruz

Arcane
I go further and declare turns are all but necessary for micro-managing a party of unique individuals, especially if one desires a large array of tactical options. Imagine trying to give your party in Baldur's Gate 2 all the commands you could in ToEE. Maybe some people prefer the feeling of urgency and chaos that RtWP can provide as you scramble to keep track of everything that is happening, but I prefer the breadth of options and clean control that TB allows. Can you imagine playing X-Com in real time? You'd get murdered by a computer opponent that can cover the entire battlefield and juggle all its field options at the same time, something the player cannot do or compete with unless they're the Flash.

That the TB haters never seem to consider this leads me to believe that their experience with the system is limited to simple JRPGs with 3 member parties and limited tactical options, where none of what I described comes into play. They haven't played games where you have 6 party members and grid movement, stances, reaction commands, groups of tough enemies, meager restorative options, etc.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wasn't one of the Xcom games a turnbased/realtime hybrid? :M

A lot of their experience is also with Fallout which did so much to give turn-based combat a bad name considering it was one of the few post-win95 western role playing games that had it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

No,that were the clones and they are all terrible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM:_Apocalypse
A new feature is the choice of playing the tactical missions in either the familiar turn-based mode or real-time. In the turn-based mode, the aliens and humans switch turns to perform actions while in real-time, everything happens simultaneously, though the game can be paused at any time to issue orders to agents.

I remember David Gaider talking about it and saying it played just fine to him.

It's not really a TB/RT hybrid, you select one or the other for a mission and can't switch mid-mission. Both work kind of OK, but balance is drastically different between modes.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
People like Huminds don't like TBC because it requires them to actually do something other than move their party into an area and click the health potion button every once in a while.
Like Fallout? :)

Fallout doesn't health potions. You have to inject yourself with drugs to heal. That makes it totally cooler.
Except making Cassidy's hearth explodes(Which is really cool i give you that:D) there was no major difference between Stim-Packs and Health Potions.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

No,that were the clones and they are all terrible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM:_Apocalypse
A new feature is the choice of playing the tactical missions in either the familiar turn-based mode or real-time. In the turn-based mode, the aliens and humans switch turns to perform actions while in real-time, everything happens simultaneously, though the game can be paused at any time to issue orders to agents.

I remember David Gaider talking about it and saying it played just fine to him.

There are three main reasons for X-Com Apocalypse being both turn-based and real-time:

# Strategy games like Dune 2, Warcraft and Command & Conquer had made a noticeable impact in the gaming market, all of which were real-time. Some people claimed that it was because they were real-time that they became so popular. Whether that was the case is uncertain, but it prompted many developers and publishers to jump on the "me-too" bandwagon and try to get a piece of the action, because turn-based looked "old" and "unexciting" to many gamers. Supposedely.

# Large and complex games using real-time computations were very few up 'till that point. Computers in the 1980s suffered from "technologial limitations", turn-based was used in because there was no viable alternative. In 1990 decent-looking real-time games were appearing in all genres. 2 years later real-time was equally viable with turn-based. 2 years after that real-time had shown itself to be "ready" to take its rightful place at the top.

# It was always the intention to take the X-Com series into real-time. X-Com: Interceptor is a good example, the cancelled X-Com: Alliance is an even better example. Can't say for certain whether it was MicroProse or the Gollop brothers who were pushing for this, as the Gollop brothers are first and foremost known for their turn-based games. But the push was there.

Turn-based has its time and place and isn't going away anytime soon, but its days as the top dog are over.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
But surely, they must have chosen it simply because of technological limitations. The only reason to ever use it.

Try doing TBC with large numbers of players in the same area. DAoC would have been hell with 600 people in the same area and TBC.

Simultaneous turns. Has it ever been tried in a mass setting? Have every turn happen on a 5s countdown for everyone

But surely, they must have chosen it simply because of technological limitations. The only reason to ever use it.

iIbRhyR.png

Children consoletards might be reading this.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
# It was always the intention to take the X-Com series into real-time. X-Com: Interceptor is a good example, the cancelled X-Com: Alliance is an even better example. Can't say for certain whether it was MicroProse or the Gollop brothers who were pushing for this, as the Gollop brothers are first and foremost known for their turn-based games. But the push was there.

It seems Mr. Gollop didn't liked that push.

How did you feel when the firstperson XCOM game was announced in 2010?

[Julian Gollop:] I thought it was a great shame because it was going down the same route as some of the previous X-COM sequels, like Interceptor and Enforcer – in other words, going completely against turn-based combat. It was a bit disappointing from my point of view and for many fans of X-COM. When from out of the blue we heard that Firaxis are doing a turn-based version, it's as if 2K are trying to cover all their bets.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/julian-gollop-xcom/2/

In regard to X-Com: Apocaypse, he did mention at a podcast interview (around 17min) that he (had to) decided to go hybrid because at that time everybody said turn-based games are dead.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lesi and her twitter pals have caused another no-name fauxgressive author to publicly melt down.

https://twitter.com/SimonDrax/status/399243962520977408
But since *I* have better things to do, here's an official FUCK YOU TO @maverynthia @requireshate @The_Block_Bot

http://simondrax.com/2013/11/08/wow-we-were-upset-yesterday-please-fucking-block-me/
SHE CAN BLOCK ME AT HER EARLIEST CONVENIENCE, I AM NOT ASHAMED OF ANYTHING I WROTE OR THOUGHT.

Please. Tell her. Her name’s [XXXXX]? Tell her she can block me. She never writes anything interesting on the twitstream anyway.

But look, buddy, [ ]— saying to me I have an “investment in white supremacy,” is quite the insult. If a man said that to me? I’d fucking punch him. If a woman said it to me, I’d cross the room and tell the computer I am highly offended, and she better understand that the insult she casually leveled against me is really…

…fucking

offensive.

I am Simon Drax. You casually call me a white supremacist? I will fucking flip out.

She doesn’t know me, she doesn’t know my family. Many POC are included in my family. Please forward this email to her, and PLEASE FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO HER VERBATIUM, PLEASE

AND I FUCKING HATE THAT ABREVIATION “POC,” IT’S NOT EVEN REAL. EVERYONE HAS COLOR. IF WE’RE EVER GOING TO MOVE FORWARD AS A SOCIETY, WE HAVE HAVE TO LET THAT SHIT GO.

People of color: white guy, black guy, yellow guy, red guy, We have to let that shit go.

Good fucking happy Monday.
So he'd punch a man but not a woman? What a primitive, patriarchal loser. I hope his days-long misery lasts forever.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, you're just angry he doesn't accept the separation of the "many POCS" :lol: from the white scum, like the little racist that you are.
Plus, punching a woman would be a hate crime, so not falling for your shit.

Repressed Homosexual

A morbidly obese guy makes an obnoxious PS4 unboxing video, and then makes another video crying about the mean Youtube comments he has gotten and how he is disabling them all

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom