Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Ban everyone who replies to Roguey.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey The problem with SJWs is that they can't seem to decide what they are. Are they elitists, arbiters of good taste who oppose sexualized content in games because it appeals to an uncouth lower class element? (Your use of the term "puerile" suggests this)

Or are they moralists, who wish to purge "offensive" taboo content from the world to protect sensitive minds?
I'm pretty sure both these groups exist. People can be on the same page for multiple reasons.

Grayson definitely comes across as the latter, which is why I don't like him. His reasoning wasn't "This attempt to pander to my lizard brain insults me as a person" but rather "Why shouldn’t everyone feel empowered? That’s what it’s about at the end of the day: letting everyone have a fair chance to feel awesome" like a patriarch. "The women of my tribe are upset so I must use my elevated status to help them."

Besides, what he and other SJWs want is more diverse representation, not the removal of characters that appeal to het-men altogether. Dragon Age 2 has been my go-to as an example of a game liked by many feminist women (but not all of course) since Isabela is counter-balanced by a bunch of others who don't look like her. And as Burch points out, there's also Borderlands 2. Since they have Ellie, Tina, and Scarlett, they don't care about Mad Moxxi. It's a reasonable request but nerds sure like to freak out about it because to be pandered to just a little bit less is a great offense as far as they're concerned. Kieron Gillen knows the score about that.
https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/360828926966247427
In passing, "pandering" translates to "includes anything other than the usual pandering" in my head by now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh well, and now for something completely different.

:hmmm:

Uh, this might actually be true? The VGA Sierra games had 256 color graphics, so "8 bit". I don't know whether their code used 32 bit pointers and integers. Quite possibly not if they worked on 286s.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I believe all or nearly all of the classic sierra adventures were 16 bit games, they never made anything for 8 bit computers, and stopped making adventures around the time the 286 became obsolete. Despite this their games saw great changes in graphics, both technical (from low-rez 16 color to medium-rez 256 color) and artistic (from pixel art to scanned paintings and 3D renders) There's no way you can simply label that as "16 bit style" and have it mean something.

Oh well, and now for something completely different.

:hmmm:

Uh, this might actually be true? The VGA Sierra games had 256 color graphics, so "8 bit". I don't know whether their code used 32 bit pointers and integers. Quite possibly not if they worked on 286s.
Well, I'm not a programmer, of course, so I rely on various (maybe dubious) sources, but, for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_(computer_architecture)#Table_of_word_sizes

And anyway, 8-16-32 bit usually is a console classification, which original poster confuses with both CGA-EGA-VGA graphics and PC CPU's word size.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I believe all or nearly all of the classic sierra adventures were 16 bit games, they never made anything for 8 bit computers, and stopped making adventures around the time the 286 became obsolete. Despite this their games saw great changes in graphics, both technical (from low-rez 16 color to medium-rez 256 color) and artistic (from pixel art to scanned paintings and 3D renders) There's no way you can simply label that as "16 bit style" and have it mean something.

The 286 was already too slow to run their last batch of adventure games. Actually, GK1 and PQ4 were slow even on 386. If they kept using 16 bit code it must have been a matter of convention/engine limitations.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Forza 5 in EU:
UVnl59R.png

:hero:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

The 286 was already too slow to run their last batch of adventure games. Actually, GK1 and PQ4 were slow even on 386. If they kept using 16 bit code it must have been a matter of convention/engine limitations.
Keep in mind that 16 bit applications run just fine on 32 bit CPUs. People were making 16bit programs as late as Windows 98.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I love how "Great Value" is least cost effective option :lol: . But hey what do you expect from "1EUR=1USD" people? Scratch that, what do you expect from "f2p monetization in boxed full price title" people?
Isn't the 1EUR=1USD thingie because of Vat?

VAT on digital goods...no idea how is that handled.Still VAT is 20% and EU-USD is 35% now.

Skunkpew

Augur
The problem with SJWs is that they can't seem to decide what they are. Are they elitists, arbiters of good taste who oppose sexualized content in games because it appeals to an uncouth lower class element?

Or are they moralists, who wish to purge "offensive" taboo content from the world to protect sensitive minds?
Kids are sexting by the time they're twelve. There are children modeling sexy lingere for kids. Every woman who can afford it gets a breast implant and caps on her teeth to create the illusion of perfection. Girls are competing to wear the sheerest, tightest pants they can possibly find, so that when they bend over you can see their happy little smile from behind. The goal of every woman is to look as absolutely beautiful as she can (even a disgusting whale wants to be a beautiful disgusting whale). Nobody is choosing to look like absolute shit.

And then these completely self-absorbed, unaware white knights get angry because a girl in a video game doesn't depict women properly? Why aren't they angry that men aren't shown as real men? I'm offended that a man has unrealistic bulging muscles. That isn't fair to me, so it has to be changed. Why are characters almost always shown as successful heroes? That isn't fair in a reality where most people aren't. Heroes need to be changed into failures.

Last edited:
At best, all this outrage will only amount to a couple more movie-games scoring easy points by using a more conservative dress code and a few more 'You don't care that I'm gay... do you Shepard?'-esque equality speeches.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom