Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Tower Defence game you have ever played

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Has to be Gemcraft for me, especially Gemcraft: Chasing Shadows

Its really the Diablo II of tower defence games

you have both towers AND traps, global supperpowers, buffs for towers and traps etc.

You get towers by combining different gems (poison, slow, -armor, splash, mana burn, etc.)

ofc u can build walls yourself which is a MUST for tower defence games

lastly you have sort of a skill tree and sort of a passive skill tree like PoEs (called Talisman) where you socket jewels you find for various bonuses

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The time I caught five mice with carefully placed traps within a couple days. Most of them had no bait, I just studied the mice paths.

rumSaint

Literate
Has to be Gemcraft for me, especially Gemcraft: Chasing Shadows

Its really the Diablo II of tower defence games

you have both towers AND traps, global supperpowers, buffs for towers and traps etc.

You get towers by combining different gems (poison, slow, -armor, splash, mana burn, etc.)

ofc u can build walls yourself which is a MUST for tower defence games

lastly you have sort of a skill tree and sort of a passive skill tree like PoEs (called Talisman) where you socket jewels you find for various bonuses

Yeah seems like to be the best of the genre, to the point I cannot stand any other tower defense game :/

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
yeah i agree

its probably the most deep TD.... and I like to compare the addiction to Diablo 2

Not gonna happen but I wish there was a 3D gemcraft game for the PC

racofer

Thread Incliner
Some that I've played and enjoyed:
  • Kingdom Rush series (4 games);
  • Defender's Quest;
  • Gemcraft;
  • Dungeon Warfare 1 & 2.
And of course, the ones I miss the most were the Warcraft 3 custom maps. Lots of coop and competitive TD gems over there, now forever lost due to Shitzzard.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Warcraft 3 mods were the peak for me but still got really good ones after. I played many of them from gaming sites from browser.

Gemcrafts
Cursed Treasure
Protector
Kingdom Rush

Played a lot from Steam and GoG but I don't really remember them.

El Presidente

Arcane
- Creeper World 3
I have almost 1000h in this game, the main campaign is great but you can say the game truly starts after it. Infinite content, very satisfying to play, the music pool is very small but they're all great and very memorable. My favorite TD.

- Gemcraft Chasing Shadows
I love everything about this game, especially its moody "dark fantasy" atmosphere.

- Dungeon Warfare 1, 2
Extremely fun, very challenging, 100%'d both, would do it again.

- Kingdom Rush series
These games are very heavy on the micro side, you have to intensely manage your hero if you want to stand any chance against the harder levels. If you're not into that, I'd say avoid. Otherwise, they're excellent.

- Element TD 2
Warcraft mod made standalone, great stuff, many fun multiplayer modes, I play it with a friend all the time, we're reaching 300h and counting.

- Bloons TD 6
Most visually clusterfuck of all TDs, but don't get fooled by the silly premise, it's pretty great. Coop is fantastic. Gaben himself is a fan and plays it.

Last edited:

axx

Savant
- Kingdom Rush series
These games are very heavy on the micro side, you have to manage your hero if you want to stand any change against the harder levels. If you're not into that, I'd say avoid. Otherwise, they're excellent.
I liked the earlier versions more since there were no heroes and more emphasis was put on choosing the right towers and upgrading them on time (at least for KR1).
The whole series is brilliant though.

deama

Prophet
Pretty much gemcraft.
Wish there were other good alternatives, with different twists and stuff.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Creeper World 3
I have almost 1000h in this game, the main campaign is great but you can say the game truly starts after it. Infinite content, very satisfying to play, the music pool is very small but they're all great and very memorable. My favorite TD.
Totally forgot about that one, and it's great. Played it quite a few times.

Creeper World 4 is also good, albeit not as much. Still had lots of fun with it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The only answer to this topic is Dungeon Warfare and especially Dungeon Warfare 2. Next level tower defense with tons of mechanics, towers, upgrades, modes and maps. On top of that it's got actual, decent graphics with a cool artstyle.

For some reason I never played GemCraft. Looks very interesting and is on sale on Steam, I see.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only answer to this topic is Dungeon Warfare and especially Dungeon Warfare 2. Next level tower defense with tons of mechanics, towers, upgrades, modes and maps. On top of that it's got actual, decent graphics with a cool artstyle.
Dungeon Warfare is cool, especially because of the physics system. You can push and pull and toss the enemies all over the map with the proper traps.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I've heard people call it a casual game, but Bloons is by far my favorite. Great visuals, music and design. Updated for many years through 6 iterations, BTD6 is a real joy to play.

El Presidente

Arcane
Dungeon Warfare is cool, especially because of the physics system. You can push and pull and toss the enemies all over the map with the proper traps.
Devs announced they're working on a third game by the way:

fc59c425e40267b709dcc1ead8ed4a0844d027bf.png

:bounce:

NorwegianWolf

Educated
I progressed in Gemcraft: Chasing Shadows recently. While it might be one of best tower defense games out there, it gets somewhat grindy after 30+ hours. I would appreciate more types of enemies. And some features, like the gem stealing spectre are annoying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom