Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda passed on a Game of Thrones title

Morkar Left

Thank you Bethesda.

Drakron

Arcane
Bitcher said:
Well thank God Beth passed on that, with their juvenile writing and tendecy to rape all the lore in sight I can't even fathom what abomination it would turn out to be.

I suspect that the real reason they "passed it" was that George R.R. Martin would have some control over it.

Mayday

Augur
Bitcher said:
Mayday said:
Bitcher said:
GRRM's books aren't really good basis for pure RPG, since they're very low on magic and there are pretty much no intelligent races aside from humans.
facepalm.gif
That's a shitty emote you have here. I had to enlarge it to even see what it was supposed to show. And what's your problem? You couldn't bring new characters with formidable magic powers without it being a retcon. Lack of diversity in terms of playable races would also mean less options in customization. ASoIaF setting isn't fit for a traditional party-based RPG. (and that's what I consider "pure") The action-oriented approach Cyanide is taking seems more reasonable, although they also seem to be introducing some retcons of their own from what I've heard.

After this post I thought I got expertly trolled. But now I've read the rest and am not sure anymore!
huh.gif
<-this one better?
(and don't get me wrong, you'd have magic and multiple races in MY RPG too).

EDIT: Actually you know what? Never mind. RPGs suck anyway.

Bitcher said:
There is aGoT ARPG in the works, too, also by Cyanide.
Well thank God Beth passed on that, with their juvenile writing and tendecy to rape all the lore in sight I can't even fathom what abomination it would turn out to be. Actually, even though I don't like it that much, I could see aGoT game being like 2Witcher, as in an action game with many c&c and some character switching. I mean, GRRM's books aren't really good basis for pure RPG, since they're very low on magic and there are pretty much no intelligent races aside from humans.

I saw a Dire Wolf the other day, horrible creatures I avoid them whenever I can.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why the hell are people happy Bethesda passed on it? It ended up going to Cyanide.

Multi-headed Cow

Cimmerian Nights said:
Bethesda wanted to make it possible for you to be the leader of every competing house simultaneously.
:lol:

OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Why the hell are people happy Bethesda passed on it? It ended up going to Cyanide.
Was wondering about that too. Of the two, I'd take my chances with Bethesda. At least a Bethesda game would allow for modding to include the tasteful rape the series requires, and surely won't be in the games by default. :obviously:

Project: Eternity
I absolutely trust Bethesda to write a tasteful and non-juvenile story based in a world where rape, murder, strife and torture are the norm rather than the exception.

Edwin

Scholar
Bitcher said:
I mean, GRRM's books aren't really good basis for pure RPG, since they're very low on magic and there are pretty much no intelligent races aside from humans.

except: the Others(whitewalkers in the tv show),zombies(Cold Hands seemed to be intelligent enough),elfs,dragons,giants

I wouldnt call dire wolfs intelligent,they get that intelligence from their connection with a human(a skinchanger had an eagle and that was intelligent too).

If you think that it is low on magic you didnt read the latest books.It slowly turns into high fantasy(imo we already passed that point somewhere after book 3.).Elf druids,5+ resurrections by magic(priests of the lord of fire),magical healing(Euron),asassination by demons/shadows,or other magical things(Stannis with the help of Melissandre),sorcerers guild(Daenerys chapter),illness slowly turning humans into stone(Tirion chapter),asassins transform/change body in a second(Arya chapters),some kind of mage in Oldtown(Samwell Tarly),magical horns,giants and dragons everywhere etc.

Xzar

Augur
I would've been A-A-Awesome for sure :P
I'm content that it eventually went to Cyanide. Who knows, maybe we'll get another CD Project out of nowhere. Genre needs more studio competiteveness.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Game of Thrones would make for a better turn-based strategy game, IMO. I realize that there are elements there to make it an RPG, but I feel like the main focus of the series is the intrigue and politics between all the characters/nations with the fantasy elements being icing on top.

Drakron

Arcane
OldSkoolKamikaze said:

WRONG

George R. R. Martin said:
For years now fans of my epic fantasy series A Song of Ice & Fire have been writing and emailing me to suggest... ask... beg for the books to be made into a videogame. I'm thrilled to be able to announce that, at long last, those requests are being answered. Cyanide Studios, an independent videogame developer based in Nanterre, France, has acquired an exclusive option to develop Ice & Fire as both an RTS (Real Time Strategy) and RPG videogame for next generation consoles and PC.

Cyanide first approached me about videogame rights five years ago. No agreement was reached at that time, but Patrick and his colleague Joe Ryan have maintained their interest in the series over the years, impressing me with their doggedness and determination. Since that first contact, Cyanide has opened a studio in Montreal and more than doubled its headcount, and now have the resources to produce both RTS and RPG games that will, we hope, satisfy all my fans and readers, and gamers unfamiliar with the books as well. I am pleased to be in business with the Cyanide, and look forward to working with them on the games.

Cyanide was founded in 2000, and has developed and produced games in numerous genres, including sports management, real time strategy, fantasy, and action RPGs. More information is available through the company website at www.cyanide-studio.com

http://grrm.livejournal.com/90917.html

The fact this was posted in Jun. 8th, 2009 means the whole story from Bethesda stinks, I have my suspicions this was ... HBO related.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Why would they even approach Bethesada? They wanted to make a Hiking Simulator for Game of Thrones?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
f5Avj.png
I'm looking for my father. Middle-aged guy. Maybe you've seen him?
Emperor.jpg
I'm afraid not. But I saw a mudcrab the other day... Terrible creatures.

Ahh... It could have been such a "special" game...

corvus

Arcane
ghostdog said:
f5Avj.png
I'm looking for my father. Middle-aged guy. Maybe you've seen him?
Emperor.jpg
I'm afraid not. But I saw a mudcrab the other day... Terrible creatures.
4xsZK.jpg
Stop talking!
Emperor.jpg
Bye.

Now we'll never know what we could've had. :(

catfood

AGAIN
I would have played an ASOIAF strategy game in the vein of TW made by CA.

EDIT: or a Crusade Kings-type game by Paradox.

MCA
I think RPGCodex owes it to Bethesda to give an official thank-you message to Bethesda for turning it down. One less franchise raped, the better. And to those bitching about Cyanide: there's a fine difference between a good rape and a mediocre forgettable slap. You will forever carry the mark of rape.

Elzair

Cipher
I thought an RPG based on ASOIAF in the style of Morrowind would have been really cool.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'd rather see a CRPG based on Malazan. A Song of Ice and Fire is vastly superior as literature, but Malazan already feels like a RPG campaign world.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
villain of the story said:
And to those bitching about Cyanide: there's a fine difference between a good rape and a mediocre forgettable slap.

Have you ever played a Cyanide game? Admittedly, my experience is limited to the two Blood Bowl games. They were entertaining due to the strength of the source material, despite Cyanide's best efforts.

Unfortunately, you can't say that about the Xbox version.

HardCode

Erudite
Bitcher said:
As for what Black said, of course low fantasy adds to the setting/story (especially in vidya games, where such convention is still rare), I'm just not sure about the gameplay itself, where usually the more choices you have, the better.

Quit while you're far behind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom