Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda Threatens Minecraft Creator Over Scrolls Name

MCA
The second one, not so much.

Also, does anyone else remember that many games in 90s came with leaflets warning against epileptic seizures?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8519901309 ... full-story

A lot of people want more details about what is going on, so here is everything I know:

First of all, I love Bethesda. I assume this nonsense is partly just their lawyers being lawyers, and a result of trademark law being the way it is.

About half a year ago, our lawyers recommended us to register “Minecraft” as a trademark, so we did. I had voted against it initially, but we did it anyway. Better safe than sorry, and all that. At the same time, we also applied for “Scrolls”, the new game we’re working on. We knew of no similarly named games, and we had even googled it to make sure. I’m not even sure if you CAN trademark individual words, like “Scrolls”, but we sent in the application anyway.

(Disclosure: We’ve enforced the trademark for Minecraft once, when there was a minecraft clone on iOS, using our name. People were emailing me saying our iOS version was buggy and bad, so we asked them to change the name of their game, and they did.)

A while later, out of the blue, we got contacted by Bethesda’s lawyers. They wanted to know more about the “Scrolls” trademark we were applying for, and claimed it conflicted with their existing trademark “The Elder Scrolls”. I agree that the word “Scrolls” is part of that trademark, but as a gamer, I have never ever considered that series of (very good) role playing games to be about scrolls in any way, nor was that ever the focal point of neither their marketing nor the public image.
The implication that you could own the right to all individual words within a trademark is also a bit scary. We looked things up and realized they didn’t have much of a case, but we still took it seriously. Nothing about Scrolls is meant to in any way derive from or allude to their games. We suggested a compromise where we’d agree to never put any words in front of “Scrolls”, and instead call sequels and other things something along the lines of “Scrolls - The Banana Expansion”. I’m not sure if they ever got back to us with a reply to this.

Today, I got a 15 page letter from some Swedish lawyer firm, saying they demand us to stop using the name Scrolls, that they will sue us (and have already paid the fee to the Swedish court), and that they demand a pile of money up front before the legal process has even started.

I assume this is all some more or less automated response to us applying for the trademark. I sincerely hope Bethesda isn’t pulling a Tim Langdell.

fyi tim langdell is a gentleman who was suing anyone who used the word "Edge" in their game title a while back

MCA
Relevant article about Tim Langdell:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-edge-of-reason

When I ask Papazian (developer of the mobile game originally titled "Edge" -vots) about the proposed name change to EDGY he is quick to point out that this was something he suggested earlier in the year but that, at the time, Langdell flatly refused the offer. He sends me Langdell's email response to Mobigame's offer to change the name of their game to EDGY, sent on the 15th May: "[We] would very strongly oppose your use of EDGY which is clearly just adding the 'y' sound to the end of our famous trademark EDGE," Landgell wrote. "In fact, we won a case against someone who tried to use EDGY so we are confident we would win should you try to do that. You need to stop infringing our trademark EDGE and select an entirely different [original emphasis] name for your game which does not even suggest our trademark."

The guy is notorious:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_Games ... k_disputes

malichaixx

Novice
Stay classy, Bethesda

Really, Bethesda? What's next No more use of the word The? How about Elder?

Are you so worried that Skyrim will flop that just because this guy had the word Scrolls in something you have to send the gibbering hordes of lawyers after him?

Only an idiot would confuse the two. I call bullshit on Bethesda.

It reminds me of when the Tolkien estate got all up in arms over use of the word 'ring'. It was parodied in an old issue of Dragon magazine. In the cartoon people were saying 'Look at my new engagement circular metal band!' and 'The phone is circular metal banding!'.

I guess we should now call the Dead Sea Scrolls The Dead Sea Curled-up Papers :D But oh dear, what should we call scrolling with the mouse?

:rpgcodex:

villain of the story said:

Also, does anyone else remember that many games in 90s came with leaflets warning against epileptic seizures?

I guess they were more honest back then. Just like TV, games do alter brain wave states, so it shouldn't be surprising.

S_Verner

Scholar
Cassidy said:
No matter who loses, we win.

Single-player LARPing simulator and dumbed down take on Oblivion, which was already a dumbed down Morrowind, which was already a dumbed down Daggerfall, versus a multiplayer LEGO LARPing simulator and incredibly dumbed down take on Dwarf Fortress milking money from SA tards. I'd shed no tears no matter how this lawsuit ends.

:smug:Actually, Minecraft is a scaled up infiniminer clone with a closed source.(Infiniminer went down the tubes because it was open-source.)

ksjav said:
Luzur said:
MineCraft Scrolls
:retarded:
Wasn't Scrolls a completely separate product of Mojang, a card game in vein of Magic the Gathering or something?

Looking at his blurb/promo, Scrolls is supposed to be the love-child of Armageddon Empires and Age of Wonders.

^It isn't. From the newspost:

Notch said:
About half a year ago, our lawyers recommended us to register “Minecraft” as a trademark, so we did. I had voted against it initially, but we did it anyway. Better safe than sorry, and all that. At the same time, we also applied for “Scrolls”, the new game we’re working on. We knew of no similarly named games, and we had even googled it to make sure. I’m not even sure if you CAN trademark individual words, like “Scrolls”, but we sent in the application anyway.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Clockwork Knight said:
^It isn't. From the newspost:

Notch said:

heh my bad. REDDING IS TEH HARD! :oops:

Sharpice

Novice
I think people should start putting "Not Related to Bethesda" disclaimer in their game. Though I fear this might start a bad trend in the future games, for the nvidia, ati, etc. logo showing every time my games start up is already taking too long. Maybe just a mark with Bethesda crossed out by a red line on the box will do?

eugene2k

Novice
Is notch's game called MineCraft Scrolls or just Scrolls? If it's the latter (ign calls it that), then the lawer might have a point. Although I doubt the argument will hold in court.

Seboss

Liturgist
Scrolls has nothing in common with Minecraft except for Notch.

muffildy

Educated
ithas to stop

People really need to just stop buying bethesda games until they stop sueing everyone.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I guess it is possible that Beth's retarded fanbase might actually buy Scrolls thinking that it has something to do with Elder scrolls. Weren't there complaints about people buying the Iply "Fallout Trilogy" thinking that it was Fallout 3?

coaster

Liturgist
Isn't applying for a "Scrolls" trademark a dicklike move akin to the stupidity Bethesda are pulling?

Its stupid trademarking single words, the Edge debacle being a case in point.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
villain of the story said:

I remember the manuals having that warning on the first page, on pretty much every game, even something like Age of Empires.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom