Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Biocock 2 Leaked

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Bioshock 1 at least was a pretty fun story-driven single-player shooter in a pretty nice looking environment - and never pretended to be anything else.

The 'pretty looking environment' part is the only true statement. It's driven by a downright dumb and predictable story, shooting mechanics are lacklustre, there's nearly no exploration, difficulty is non-existent, and you encounter like... 6? types of enemies?

herostratus said:
it's like all the posters here have bou.. downloaded bioshock and went like: "this is not System Shock! Fucking thing sucks!"

Fixed!

herostratus said:
Seeing as the codex can find a place in its heart for a shooter in rpg's clothing (mass effect) and manages to rationalize why it's really not and rpg and shouldn't be judged by normal standards, I find this hate agaisnt Bioshock rather strange. Bioshock 1 at least was a pretty fun story-driven single-player shooter in a pretty nice looking environment - and never pretended to be anything else. I mean, jeez, it's like all the posters here have bou.. downloaded bioshock and went like: "this is not an arr pee gee! Fucking thing sucks!" And then, of course, they download ME2 and go "yeah its not an rpg but its good for what it is". If you gotta hate, try to be consistent at least. Were any of you surprised that a shooter had a focus on shooting things or what?

Also I think it's amusing that over the night all of the codex have suddenly become graphics whores; now the benchmark of a good game is how good textures it has and everything that doesn't have the latest graphics tech is banalshitboring.
That's because Biocock is shit as a shooter. Geez, try the pre-2000 id games, then come back to me and try to say that Biocock is a good shooter with a straight face.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Bioshock has two things going for it, exploration and looks.
The story is decent, but it gets marked down because a) it structure means it only really grabs you first time around and b) it's just SystemShock2. The environmental story telling is better (i.e. discovering what happened to the place), but this so heavily depends on the diaries that the format quickly becomes both a crutch and a limit to creativity - so it's not as good as it could have been.

Shooting is poor - really poor. Enemies move fast and shoot with unbelievable accuracy, even when you're moving, whereas you feel weighty and sluggish. Weapons feel weak and inaccurate, plus the plasmids never feel as effective as they could. This is doubly annoying because, back in the day, the emphasis on the quality of the shooter experience was the often provided excuse for why so many SystemShock staples were being dropped (proper character development, inventory). If Bioshock is what happens when you're really trying your best to make a satisfying shooter, sacrificing numerous good gameplay elements on the way, you're going seriously wrong somewhere.

That said exploration is fun, and finding all the nooks and crannies is satisfying (especially when so many of the areas are so easy on the eye), but that's literally all there is.

I will play the second one for the same reasons as I played the first, I'm a sucker for Art Deco and therefore it gets a pass to go round my flimsy standards.

DraQ

Arcane
Bluebottle said:
Wait, didn't someone say that BS is a corridor shooter, which effectively precludes exploration?

SystemShock staples (...) proper character development
Wait, statwise? Because statwise character development is hardly SS staple - SS1, which was mechanically superior, didn't have it and SS2 really dropped the ball with stat requirements - when a trained grunt discovers he is too weak or lacks experience in given type of weaponry to be able to use a standard issue AR, heck, even shotgun, heck, possibly even a pistol, you know that something is FUBAR about the game. As much as I loved SS2 for it's atmosphere, implementation of weapon skills and stat requirements for them and primary attributes sucked major balls in this game.

Sci-Fi fluff was also often less than stellar - can someone explain to me how did the grove end up on Tau Ceti 5 after being jettisoned 40 years earlier somewhere around Saturn? Or how can fucking nanites be "subatomic"?

Now, don't think I don't consider SS2 awesome, as it's atmosphere and other gameplay features more than made up for the shortcomings, but it was hardly a perfect game and it's take on statwise character development sucked.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Now, don't think I don't consider SS2 awesome, as it's atmosphere and other gameplay features more than made up for the shortcomings, but it was hardly a perfect game and it's take on statwise character development sucked.
Meh, it was good for an FPS/RPG. And the stat requirements for weapons made sense for all weapon types except the standard(pistol, shotgun, AR).

Jaedar said:
Meh, it was good for an FPS/RPG. And the stat requirements for weapons made sense for all weapon types except the standard(pistol, shotgun, AR).

Yeah, the problem is that they made the standard weapons far too strong to the point where they needed the stat requirements. The AR being the biggest culprit. There wasn't really much incentive to take other weapon paths until you had nothing else to spend shit on. Otherwise I think the character system was pretty well done.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Playing SS2 as a pure Psi build on the impossible difficulty is an incredible experience, you will feel like a fucking god when you finally pull it off. Psi builds in that game were great, far more interesting than the generic fire-ice-lightning shit in Bioshock.

spekkio

Arcane
I really don't know why, but I always play SS2 with exact same build: Marine with high maintenance, using only Standard Weapons (AR) + Crystal Shard and no PSI.
I was thinking about trying another build, but always when I decide to replay SS2 (5/6 times already) I use the exact same build. :(

Somebody should really do ironman SS2 LP with people voting for Marine/Navy/OSA and then for the career path in years 1-3, leveling up etc. etc.
I would do this myself, but probably not before finishing both AoD and Grimoire.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
DraQ said:
Bluebottle said:
Wait, didn't someone say that BS is a corridor shooter, which effectively precludes exploration?
I wouldn't go as far as calling Bioshock a corridor shooter. It's level design is very inconsistent with some decent maps and some extremely linear (especially towards the end) but it is never as bad as e.g. Gears of War where you move from one scripted fight to another.

Mattresses

Scholar
spekkio said:
I really don't know why, but I always play SS2 with exact same build: Marine with high maintenance, using only Standard Weapons (AR) + Crystal Shard and no PSI.
I was thinking about trying another build, but always when I decide to replay SS2 (5/6 times already) I use the exact same build. :(

Somebody should really do ironman SS2 LP with people voting for Marine/Navy/OSA and then for the career path in years 1-3, leveling up etc. etc.
I would do this myself, but probably not before finishing both AoD and Grimoire.

Navy, Navy, oh baby.

any motherfucker can shoot a gun, fuck.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
DraQ said:
Bluebottle said:

It's a little inaccurate, at the very least, to describe BS1 as a corridor shooter. It lets you loose in a relatively large hub, and gives you a fair degree of licence to make your way about it. It has a decent amount of reward for finding all the little hidden bit of level, including narrative rewards (the best kind). All the cameras and turrets give you some ability to fortify the area, as well. The quality of the exploration varies from area to area, but there is decent fun to be had.

SystemShock staples (...) proper character development
Wait, statwise? Because statwise character development is hardly SS staple - SS1, which was mechanically superior, didn't have it and SS2 really dropped the ball with stat requirements - when a trained grunt discovers he is too weak or lacks experience in given type of weaponry to be able to use a standard issue AR, heck, even shotgun, heck, possibly even a pistol, you know that something is FUBAR about the game. As much as I loved SS2 for it's atmosphere, implementation of weapon skills and stat requirements for them and primary attributes sucked major balls in this game.

Sci-Fi fluff was also often less than stellar - can someone explain to me how did the grove end up on Tau Ceti 5 after being jettisoned 40 years earlier somewhere around Saturn? Or how can fucking nanites be "subatomic"?

I'm not arguing that SS2 was the height of character development, just that BS was a step down from it. The fact that people can talk, in seriousness, about builds in SS2 (something that would be entirely impossible in BS), is enough to show its superiority in that regard. Really though, the point was that many elements of System Shock 2 were streamlined in its transition to Bioshock - with the excuse being that better shooting mechanics would be the payoff. A payoff that doesn't now seem worth it, because Bioshock's shooter mechanics are pretty shitty.

DraQ

Arcane
Jim Cojones said:
DraQ said:
Bluebottle said:
I wouldn't go as far as calling Bioshock a corridor shooter. It's level design is very inconsistent with some decent maps and some extremely linear (especially towards the end) but it is never as bad as e.g. Gears of War where you move from one scripted fight to another.
I have never played Gore of Whore, TBH, my stance about the game has been "bah, they should make a proper sequel to Unreal, instead of some TPP consolized shit" since the very beginning, in accordance to the finest Codexian tradition.

Bluebottle said:
I'm not arguing that SS2 was the height of character development, just that BS was a step down from it. The fact that people can talk, in seriousness, about builds in SS2 (something that would be entirely impossible in BS), is enough to show its superiority in that regard.
Having varying builds is not much of an advantage if they are derived from nonsensical, verisimilitude breaking mechanics in the first place.
You don't need training to just fire about any general purpose personal weapon. Maybe things like fusion cannon, stasis field generator or any exotic weapon could have hard skill requirements, but not fucking AR, or laser pistol.

Also, I need to make an OSA playthrough. Navy is awesome - you can still learn to shoot essential weaponry, but are also extremely capable tech whizz.

Darth Roxor said:
Bioshock 1 at least was a pretty fun story-driven single-player shooter in a pretty nice looking environment - and never pretended to be anything else.

The 'pretty looking environment' part is the only true statement. It's driven by a downright dumb and predictable story, shooting mechanics are lacklustre, there's nearly no exploration, difficulty is non-existent, and you encounter like... 6? types of enemies?
*shrug* Story beats 90% of all the other shooters out there - and shooters are, after all, just good for a few mindless hours of fun. Exploring the different environments and seeing how underwater ITZ happened was pretty fun too IMO. In any case, my point wasn't so much that Bioshock was good as that it was as good as that other game the codex luvs, ME2, which has the same flaws as bioshock (well according to the codex anyways, my computer is too shitty to play ME2).
That's because Biocock is shit as a shooter. Geez, try the pre-2000 id games, then come back to me and try to say that Biocock is a good shooter with a straight face.
Playing those games makes me appreciate just how far shooters have come.

relootz

Scholar
herostratus said:

This.

herostratus said:
Couldn't stand the challenge, huh? Oh well, to each his own.

For me, playing Q1 or Q2 on Hard difficulty without quick saving is the best FPS experience and an amazing adrenaline rush. And mind you, it's not mindless shooting like the modern tripe, in id's games you have to think and think fast, because mistakes can cost you your life.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I never enjoyed Q1 and Q2 much, but I definitely appreciate the challenge DOOM 2 has on Ultra Violence, especially in PWADs like Hell Revealed. Greatest shooter ever.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Quake 1 nailed the atmosphere, quake 2 had great multi(but quake 1 is still superior) There's nothing quite like lan on doom however.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game is actually pretty decent. A lot of details, but the mediocre story is lost in a huge quantity of combat. Mass Effect 2 is in the same situation. By the end, nobody will care about the game.
However Bioshock2 ending is pretty decent and is not frizzbee shit like it was in ME2 (baby-humanoid-reaper).

Many people are saying that it feels like an expansion pack for the first game, since a LOT of content is reused.

baronjohn

Cipher
I couldn't bring myself to play more than an hour of the first BioShit, so I'm not even going to pirate v2. These games are utter shit, and the world is obviously completely fucking insane. But at least I can rely on the codex to share the negativity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom