Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview BioShock interview at IGN

LlamaGod

Cipher
kingcomrade said:
This screenshot alone indicates the badassery of the game
Because it has vodka in it...? Impressive. :|

system shock + 1950s stuff = :pelvic_thrust:

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Mangler said:
System Shock 2 had Vodka in it. Its a sign, a good sign. Its almost a flashback of SS2... remember the deck 6 lounge area? (deck 6? the cryo/medical one at any rate)

The only entity that can mess up BioShock is Microsoft. Remember how Halo WAS a PC title?

Basically there is a slim chance M$ won't fxor up the game.

Eh, not entirely. Halo was originally a Macintosh game, that was going to be released on PC and Macs, I think. Its not like I cared about FPS back then, I barely knew to keep up with RPGs. Anyways. Microsoft out and out bought Bungie. Irrational, on the otherhand, was not bought by Microsoft, but they were bought by somebody whose name escapes me. It could be Pandemic. Anyways, shortly after they sold out Bioshock was announced as a 360 title as well. Since that announcement, I've been very leary of this game. I want it to be awesome like System Shock 2, but after so many franchises have been hurt by multi-platforming I just don't think it will happen.

Zomg

Arbiter
That interview really sounds the tuning fork in my brain. I hope I don't have to get five hundred bucks worth of upgrades to run it.

Ryuken

Liturgist
I think they said that they still use a modified Unreal 2 engine. So, if you could play SWAT4, this shouldn't be a problem normally. Although the detail seems a lot higher on the Bioshock screens.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Yeah, the groundwork is still the Vengeance engine (Irrational's modiefied UE 2.5, which was used in SWAT4), but they replaced the renderer and all that shit completely so that it looks still pretty in 2007....

denizsi

Arcane
I am a big fan of SS2 and seeing how this game can grand me a kind of choise i always wanted to have in System Shock 2 - being able to acctually join The Many, casting away all the cyber implants and getting further "upgrades" from my new masters, i am so easily exited over it.

Wasn't The Many a collective mind of sorts? The more people changed through becoming a part of it, controlled by it, the more they lost individual qualities.

At the end, there wouldn't be such a thing as "becoming one of them", because there is no 'they' on a mental level, hence the name. So, I always thought that becoming a part of The Many was worse than what would happen in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", if not equal to.

LlamaGod

Cipher
denizsi said:
I am a big fan of SS2 and seeing how this game can grand me a kind of choise i always wanted to have in System Shock 2 - being able to acctually join The Many, casting away all the cyber implants and getting further "upgrades" from my new masters, i am so easily exited over it.

Wasn't The Many a collective mind of sorts? The more people changed through becoming a part of it, controlled by it, the more they lost individual qualities.

At the end, there wouldn't be such a thing as "becoming one of them", because there is no 'they' on a mental level, hence the name. So, I always thought that becoming a part of The Many was worse than what would happen in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", if not equal to.

Correct.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Mangler said:
System Shock 2 had Vodka in it. Its a sign, a good sign. Its almost a flashback of SS2... remember the deck 6 lounge area? (deck 6? the cryo/medical one at any rate)

The only entity that can mess up BioShock is Microsoft. Remember how Halo WAS a PC title?

M$ is the Publisher? I didn't see a publisher for this on the bioshock website.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Claw said:
Vault Dweller said:
"Meh" games:
The Witcher, Geneforge 4
Why is The Witcher "meh"?
Dunno. Too many questionable factors. I'm not crazy about the setting, the hype, the already defined main character, the focus on actions, timed combos, etc. It does look like the game might have a strong role-playing side, judging by the "gate" video, but it's unclear at this point what percentage of the game is action, and what percentage is role-playing.

Dagon

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Claw said:
Vault Dweller said:
"Meh" games:
The Witcher, Geneforge 4
Why is The Witcher "meh"?
Dunno. Too many questionable factors. I'm not crazy about the setting, the hype, the already defined main character, the focus on actions, timed combos, etc. It does look like the game might have a strong role-playing side, judging by the "gate" video, but it's unclear at this point what percentage of the game is action, and what percentage is role-playing.

I hope they will catchj the original atmosphee of the books, which are the best Fantasy novels i have read so far. Geralt in books is a great character, so if they don't fuck it up it should be a great game (I would also prefer to create my own Witcher, but geralt is OK)

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jaesun said:
Mangler said:

M$ is the Publisher? I didn't see a publisher for this on the bioshock website.

No, Take Two/2kGames is the Publisher.

Astromarine

Erudite
how about if, instead of playing games, you finished work on my OTHER "can't wait to play" title, you twit? :p

Oarfish

Prophet
judging by the "gate" video

Does seem a bit like a potential "Fargoth's Gold" incident. Lets hope that level of depth is actually representative, not just a mock up for PR purposes.

Bioshock is sounding good though, just read this months PCZone special on it.

denizsi

Arcane
LlamaGod said:

I knew it! I've had suspicions for a while that David Hasslehoff might have had something to do with it..

Back to my point, that's why I can't see how joining The Many could ever be exiting at all apart from the mere thought of biological corruption that is The Many, since there is no 'you' after you've been possessed, and suddenly giving player the control of the collective mind of The Many would just be stupid imo.

Perhaps I should also note that this was addressed at inso.

Zomg

Arbiter
Hmm, I'm very enthusiastic about the game, but that article makes it sound like you can reboot your character build at will. That might decrease that sense of authorship of your character.

The art design and setting sound dynamite, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom