Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Bioware gives insight into writing Gay Relationships

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What straight man believes in exclusive, monogamous relationships?

Everyone knows there ain't no pussy like new pussy.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Well, whine all you want, you know we are all going to be gay one day for the same reason we whined about Oblivion and all played it.

I like how they admit that they had to get "documentation" and "insider help" about what's gay and what's not.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Don't worry bro, you're not the only one. We're here for you, among the oblivion-normative population of rpgcodex.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I like how they admit that they had to get "documentation" and "insider help" about what's gay and what's not.

Yep, you know, they couldn't just write human beings now could they?

Cortez's character was embarrassing for anyone and they should be ashamed of making it. If they were aiming to make a normal guy who happened to be gay, they failed when they made his second scene in the game him crying while on the job.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I guess normal people don't cry when they get asked about their dead relatives while on the job.

Regdar

Arcane
Nevertheless, I’m a straight white male – pretty much the living embodiment of the Patriarchy – and I really wanted to avoid writing something that people saw and went, “That’s a straight guy writing lesbians for other straight guys to look at.

Someone put this guy in a room with a women's studies professor and tell her to leave him plenty of rope when she's done with him.

I wanted to avoid any kind of tragic heartbreak, to make this a fundamentally life-affirming relationship… at least, as much as possible within Mass Effect 3′s grim war story.

mkay.

I believe that by the 22nd century, declaring your gender preference will be about as profound as saying, “I like blondes.

Mass Effect has mandatory in-utero gene therapy for humans. Why would gays even exist in a universe where our species are focused on colonizing new planets? Unless Bioware is saying nobody is born gay in which case how dare they; lines shall be held as a result of this insult.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I'm convinced there was only queer shit in Skyrim at all because Bethesda did their usual twenty-minute coding session adding marriage to the game, forgot to make it check gender and then shrugged and were like 'feature'

PorkaMorka

Arcane

Never watched one of the modern Bioware romance cutscenes before.

I had to turn it off halfway through due to strong feelings of awkwardness and embarrassment.

Not due to the lesbian content, my mind didn't get time to register negative feelings about that, it was busy grappling with the idea that those were supposed to be humans.

I don't understand who this is supposed to appeal to or how it became a selling point.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cortez was my least favorite part of ME3. he was way too much only what he was--yknow, wounded gymbunny queen. and as seems frequently to happen, it was all just too easy--when Shepard didn't bat an eyelash at hearing the dead husband thing, I just didn't buy it. even if you want an everyone'sbisexual future, you'd still think there'd be a response of some kind, not just cruising through the comment.

Bioware's done better in the past, though. probably when they had chicks writing it, but who knows. I was very fond of Zevran, if a little disappointed that he went all heteronormative at the end with the monogamous life partner thing (show of hands if you've ever met a gay man over 30 who believes in exclusive monogamous relationships? they don't exist). did a better job having your character be a little puzzled about the whole thing, though. and I liked the comments party members'd make if you were samesexscrewing somebody in DA2. obviously the angst was dialed up a little there, but at least Anders' dialogue did involve acknowledgment of his being a big silly biface, instead of just acting like that was to be expected in the setting.

so yeah. should've just let me fuck Garrus, Bioware. for shame. I wanted metal bird dick and metal bird dick came there none. Bioware's heart's in the right place, on this point, at least. just not always executed with quite the finesse it might be. still, proud of them for trying, even when they kind of fuck it up. I'll be interested to see how they finally bring it into SWTOR, if and when they get around to it.

edit: whoa where'd it import my picture from now I look all creepy

I can only assume that there are some major cultural differences between where you're from and in Australia. Sure there's a massive generation gap in the gay/bi communities, but in my experience 30+ is when most gay guys want a permanent partner. Combine that with under 45 being the general cap-off for 'not having to grow up in a society that hated them', and much of the push for gay marriage has come from the 30-45 bracket.

I'm not going to give you personal examples over the internets obviously, but if you want an ultra-obvious national one, then you couldn't go much further than the recently retired leader of the Greens party over here (Bob Brown) - he's been with the same guy pretty much since he entered parliament (i.e. about 30 years now). I'm actually trying to think of the last time I met a gay guy over 35 who WASN'T looking for long-term or permanent monogamy.

Hang on a minute: Bob Brown is a faggot? I thought he was just a typical tree hugging hypocrite...I never knew that. Shows how little attention I paid to Australian politics. Still haven't voted after 36 years...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom