Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Blasting aliens in Space Siege

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Space Siege

<a href="http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/spacesiege/news.html?sid=6192323">GameSpot have a Q&A session about Gas Powered Games up-and-coming Space Siege</a>. Here's a slice:
<br>
<blockquote>GS: What body parts will Seth be able to enhance, and what are some of the benefits? How many different customization options are we talking about here?
<br>
<br>
MM: There are seven total body parts that Seth can replace with cybernetic alternatives. Benefits in doing so include things like more health, faster movement, access to the best skills in the skill tree, and the use of the game's most powerful weapons.
<br>
<br>
GS: What other RPG elements will we see besides cybernetic upgrades?
<br>
<br>
MM: There are a number of RPG elements in Space Siege. We have the traditional skill tree that not only makes your character more powerful, but it also grants Seth new abilities based on his cybernetic layout and level of humanity.
<br>
<br>
Additionally, we have an upgrade system for both Seth and his robotic companion, HR-V, or as we like to call him, Harvey. In designing the RPG elements of Space Siege, we aimed for taking a twist on the traditional RPG leveling scheme. Your standard RPG uses an experience curve that is exponential, and time between levels grows larger over time. We instead use an incremental scheme that lets the player enhance their character, their weapons, and HR-V every 10 to 15 minutes throughout the course of the game.</blockquote>
<br>
<a href="http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/spacesiege/news.html?sid=6192323">There's lots more over here</a>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a>

Lingwe

Liturgist
We instead use an incremental scheme that lets the player enhance their character, their weapons, and HR-V every 10 to 15 minutes throughout the course of the game.

An experience points trickle that lets you gain points just by having the game running. Now that is innovation.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We instead use an incremental scheme that lets the player enhance their character, their weapons, and HR-V every 10 to 15 minutes throughout the course of the game.

Sounds interesting. Something different, at least.
I just hope they won't screw it up in the way Lingwe pointed out...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Trash said:
Sounds like a constant boring inescapable grind. Seriously, is there anything in there that might be, well I dunno, fun?

It's an H&S, so what?
Funny mindless killing, character leveling, collecting stuff and loads of blood.

Seriously, no need to bash this thing, it doesn't even try to be an RPG ;)

Section8

Cipher
When I read articles like this I begin to wonder if Chris Taylor is just trolling idiot gamers for the lulz. If Space Siege is the parody it should be, then bravo.

denizsi

Arcane
GS: Finally, what's the one thing you think players are going to be most excited about when they finally play Space Siege?

MM: If I had to limit it to just one thing? I'd say our use of physics make Space Siege a very volatile experience, and I suspect players will get a kick out of the experience.

End of the story.

Castanova

Prophet
I'm guessing it'll more like every ten to fifteen minutes, your Ultra Laser spell damage increases by 1%. I doubt you'll be looking at your skill tree much more than you would in a normal hack and slash.

Truth

Scholar
GPG has an interesting strategy to develop and release quicky games that make them money simply to fund their next real game. The Dungeon Sieges to bring in $ so they can work on the Supreme Commanders.

Section8 said:
When I read articles like this I begin to wonder if Chris Taylor is just trolling idiot gamers for the lulz. If Space Siege is the parody it should be, then bravo.

Yeah it's kind of like Chefe and his RPG design ideas possibly trolling the Codex for the lulz. :wink:

Suchy

Arcane
it's not bloom - it's teh particlez. even worse stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom