Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard gone full popamole: Cans D3 PvP

Shannow

Waster of Time
The graphics look very meh, most probably to make sure that anyone with a pc thats isn't an ancient piece of shit can play this game. The textures look very very low resolution.
I approve of this (but a very well scaling engine would be preferable/optimal). But it contradicts previous statements of stuttering *shrug*

Project: Eternity
monk_diablo3_thumb.jpg

diablo2-03708.jpg

Diablo 3 fucking looks worse than Diablo 2. That's an enormous achievement in 2012.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
monk_diablo3_thumb.jpg

diablo2-03708.jpg

Diablo 3 fucking looks worse than Diablo 2. That's an enormous achievement in 2012.

I made a similar comparison using the same second screenshot, in another thread. Isn't it funny how 2D pixel art allowed so much more graphical fidelity per screen real estate?

I suspect Diablo2 environments/ground will still look more detailed stretched from 800x600 on a 1920x1080 monitor, than Diablo3 running in 1920x1080 natively.

Yeesh

Magister
in hack and slash RPGs like Diablo or MMOs, victory in PvP goes to the player who's spent the most time grinding XP and gear. "Skill" plays an extremely minor part of it.

PvP in RPGs is for faggots. Good riddance to it.
Hi. Based on what you've said there, I'm going to go ahead and guess you didn't PVP much in Diablo II. Thanks for having the courage to share your compelling take on this issue anyway.

Also, seriously we're bitching about graphics? I thought this was a site for mocking people who complain about games not looking pretty enough.

And finally, whether Diablo 3 has indeed gone full popamole or not, a lack of PVP being held up and accepted as an indicator of popamole truly boggles my mind. What site is this again?

Eyeball

Arcane
No, really. Take the world's best MMO dueling player and give him a level 5 character and match him against a level 50 12 year old who's played for a week. The pro simply cannot win. Phat lewtz and XP are too important.

This brings you into an unbelievably faggotasstastic arms race against all other online players if you want to be successful at PvP, eating up copious amounts of your youth in order to grind enough XP and gear to be competitive.

Or you could simply go play a game actually designed to be fun to play PvP in like, say, Counterstrike. While still lame and populated by children and mongoloids, at least you can win against any character for as long as you play better.

MMO PvP is for homos.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
No, really. Take the world's best MMO dueling player and give him a level 5 character and match him against a level 50 12 year old who's played for a week. The pro simply cannot win. Phat lewtz and XP are too important.

So what happens if two lv50 players with identical equipment go into PvP? Flip a fucking coin?

Retarded argument is retarded.

Eyeball

Arcane
Not the point. The point is that you need to grind ridiculously to be competitive in PvP in MMOs and that your general success is thus not determined as much by how skillfully you play during the fight as how much life you've wasted grinding in preparation for it.

In any game actually suitable for PvP, you load the game, press start, may the best man win. Time required for preparation: 0

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Yep. Even between two characters of the same level, the one that always wins is the teenager who sits at computer for hours grinding for that latest top-tier armor. The casual MMO player, i.e. sane person without OCD qualities, one who plays for actual "fun" element of the game, always loses.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Reading this announcement my reactions range from "What. The. Fuck." to "Who needs PvP in a mindless monster grinding game anyway?".
I can't help but feel uncomfortable with this. I am not a fan of D1/2 PvP, but it doesn't feel right to take out a valid alternate playstyle that's fun for a group of people just because you don't feel like spending the time to "make it work".

Besides, it doesn't have to work. Most PvP systems are pretty unbalanced in RPGs but it doesn't stop people from having fun with them.

Edit: What the fuck, guys. They're just holding it back, it's not completely out. That said, you'd expect to get everything when you pay for the game, instead of having to wait for them to add PvP in some patch that may or may not come in a timely manner.

Yeesh

Magister
Yep. Even between two characters of the same level, the one that always wins is the teenager who sits at computer for hours grinding for that latest top-tier armor. The casual MMO player, i.e. sane person without OCD qualities, one who plays for actual "fun" element of the game, always loses.
Hi. I'm going to go ahead and guess that you didn't fucking PVP in Diablo II either. Perhaps in some theoretical discussion you might have a point, but the two games that come to mind here are Diablo II and of course fucking WoW. And in regard to those games, you're wrong, and the other guy is wrong. But by all means, keep saying the same theoretical argument instead of actually talking about the PVP systems implemented by the developer of the game we're talking about ITT.
Also, seriously we're bitching about graphics?
Diablo 2 was developed more than 12 years ago. Diablo 3 is being polished off for release today.
Honestly not sure what that means. You're complaining the new game doesn't look pretty enough? Ok.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"D3 will be blizzards entry to the console market. "

Blizzard has been in the console amrket for a long time now, doofus.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Hi. I'm going to go ahead and guess that you didn't fucking PVP in Diablo II either. Perhaps in some theoretical discussion you might have a point, but the two games that come to mind here are Diablo II and of course fucking WoW. And in regard to those games, you're wrong, and the other guy is wrong. But by all means, keep saying the same theoretical argument instead of actually talking about the PVP systems implemented by the developer of the game we're talking about ITT.

I've been a casual WoW player since 2004, so I very much know how it feels to have a character of equal level completely fuck you up over and over because they have 2 different de-polymorphing devices that they got through some hardcore shit.

And I've played Diablo2 to death, and it was a terrible mess of TCP/IP-induced lag and random lulz like some dude making contact with my golem and dying instantly. Sequences of pausing and explosive action where you're not sure what just happened or what you could've done to stop it, except someone blasted you with some shit and you're dead.

TCP/IP is a terrible protocol for action games. Equipment and leveling is a terrible idea for action games. Overall, the result is always terrible.

I never understand people who see the appeal in this. If you want to win with skill in an action game, get a real action game, like Quake Wars or Tribes: Ascend. If you want to win with equipment and lag and "always circling to get behind the person" in a retard version of the above, then go ahead and play Diablo/WoW PvP.

Yeesh

Magister
I've been a casual WoW player since 2004, so I very much know how it feels to have a character of equal level completely fuck you up over and over because they have 2 different de-polymorphing devices that they got through some hardcore shit.

And I've played Diablo2 to death, and it was a terrible mess of TCP/IP-induced lag and random lulz like some dude making contact with my golem and dying instantly. Sequences of pausing and explosive action where you're not sure what just happened or what you could've done to stop it, except someone blasted you with some shit and you're dead.

TCP/IP is a terrible protocol for action games. Equipment and leveling is a terrible idea for action games. Overall, the result is always terrible.

I never understand people who see the appeal in this. If you want to win with skill in an action game, get a real action game, like Quake Wars or Tribes: Ascend. If you want to win with equipment and lag and "always circling to get behind the person" in a retard version of the above, then go ahead and play Diablo/WoW PvP.
Great. I don't understand why anyone likes anything I don't like either. I was not reacting to anything but the mistaken contention that PVP in Diablo II or PVP in WoW (you know, recent WoW with the arena system equalizing gear and all) somehow require no skill and the kid who's played the longest always wins. So totally incorrect. That's all.

Everything else, fine by me. Let's game with NWLink. Let me install token-ring. Aww yeah.

EDIT: I meant IPX/SPX.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
monk_diablo3_thumb.jpg

diablo2-03708.jpg

Yeah and SC2 looks worse than SC1 whatchya gonna do.

(inb4 you post low resolution SC even though you're using high resolution D2)

SC2 looks sufficiently detailed. It does not use the same engine and art style as Diablo 3, even though it did take a few petitions to actually make it look proper.

Yet somehow the same petitions for Diablo 3 became a laughingstock, ignored and mocked by Blizzard with retarded rainbow T-shirts, and the end result is a blurry ugly mess.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I guess Kotick decided "When it's done" is no longer an acceptable ETA for Blizzard products.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
"D3 will be blizzards entry to the console market. "

Blizzard has been in the console amrket for a long time now, doofus.

yea back in the early 90s. :roll:

they don't have any titles on consoles you can actually buy and considering all they do besides diablo are RTS and MMORPGs that's not even a fucker wonder.

DU, can't we have some kind of anti-brofist?

Castanova

Prophet
Do they communicate? I'm sure they do.

The idea that Kotick has power over Morhaime is retarded, though, and demonstrates a lack of understanding of corporate structure.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
monk_diablo3_thumb.jpg

diablo2-03708.jpg

Yeah and SC2 looks worse than SC1 whatchya gonna do.

(inb4 you post low resolution SC even though you're using high resolution D2)

God before i even saw the username i knew it was going to be you attackfighter.

Starcraft 2 looks fine. Diablo 3 looks lowres and just doesn't get the feel right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom