Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blood - From the workshop of Kevin Kilstrom, Plus mods/maps/launchers thread

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Is Atari still sitting on the Blood rights like a Dragon on his treasure? I seem to remember that Jace Hall once wanted to reboot the series but that went nowhere...

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of course they are. After all, what's left of the company anyway ?

Like Jason wrote in his message about that situation : “The only thing that can be done at this point is to wait and see what happens with Atari, and hope that they find themselves in a position and mindset to allow my efforts to continue on this matter at a future date.”

Atari are idiots sitting and doing nothing.

I've replayed Rage Against The Machine

It has got a long intro (and shorter outro), even for something like a custom campaign it's really impressive work. We start at the entrance of the Tschernobog temple with some more information about the whole plot. It's exact same thing with Ophelia being abducted and Caleb whooping his employers ass. It starts in the abandoned mine, and it feels more like one of the expansions than the base game campaign. But later on the maps resemble some of it. So it's a "reverse progression" map pack. The levels are very solid, and have a some secrets scattered. Nothing very obscure, but a nice touch nevertheless. The only problem I have is the map number 6 - the sewers. Sometimes I wonder, if the creators of many games think hard, and realize that all that their game needs is one of those. Blood graphics assets don't make it easier on us and it can be really frustrating moving through the almost pitch black sections, and some bonus underwater ones too. Other than that it's a solid Blood experience, no bugs or glitches were spotted.

tbqYsHH.png

EiqTg7P.png

qoUe5zz.png

H7gNGKU.png

pVVqpVe.png

zfxK0Hy.png

k6sLSeh.png

New Alone in the Dark

Eearlier this year new AitD version with fixed scripting and some additional stuff was released. So of course I had to check it out. The mod starts like a good gothic horror novel. The shooting parts are mixed with the odd puzzles, where you need to seek carefuly for the clues and hidden buttons or ways to go. I'm talking about the first map, a big mansion where we are in the attic and make our way down. Sometimes I've been scratching my head what to do next, since it's not a simple key hunting. But it seems that there are some still some bugs which can break the whole game. It can be really frustrating. What I really loved is that eerie Shining-like feeling, when you just feels that something is creeping near you but can't see it. For a first time it's a very interesting beginning.

I won't dissect all of the levels, suffice to say there are many custom graphics and sounds, plus weapons models that can be easily swapped thanks to user friendly menu. What I really hate about it is the boss fight, a tree like thing straight from some Evil Dead nightmare. It's tough as a Tiger tank and you need to constanly watch out for it's napalm attacks. When you damage it enough you must swim under inside of it and shoot the heart. It's easier said than done, considering there are spawning monsters through the whole time. If you kill him with no god mod enables, than congratulations, you just wasted much time of your day.

Next thing will be fresh version of Bloody Pulp Fiction.

Some screens.

WEabzfU.png

WmDzwUY.png

AOxRYDU.png

QDwM3Le.png

XFsS0Lk.png

Ivd2wab.png

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hey guys! I'm from Germany. We have a rich history of killing jews and censoring videogames. Apparently Blood was such an evil game that its publishing was already verboten before it was actually released - that was very unusual even by german standards.
That's presumably the reason that this thread is the very first time Blood comes to my attention (I knew about the successor - didn't care much about).
But this one really looks intriguing. The enemy design looks gorgeous! Although I don't know which of the screenshots are from the vanilla game and what is modded content.
However, now I'd really like to pop my Blood cherry. Can you recommend any mods that improve the gameplay without deviating too much from the original (i.e. free mouselook mods, bugfixes)?
Thanksalotguys!

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey guys! I'm from Germany. We have a rich history of killing jews and censoring videogames. Apparently Blood was such an evil game that its publishing was already verboten before it was actually released - that was very unusual even by german standards.
That's presumably the reason that this thread is the very first time Blood comes to my attention (I knew about the successor - didn't care much about).
But this one really looks intriguing. The enemy design looks gorgeous! Although I don't know which of the screenshots are from the vanilla game and what is modded content.
However, now I'd really like to pop my Blood cherry. Can you recommend any mods that improve the gameplay without deviating too much from the original (i.e. free mouselook mods, bugfixes)?
Thanksalotguys!

The GoG version of One Unit Whole Blood offers free mouselook, and the official expansion packs are included.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Snorkack, you're in for a treat.

IMO Blood + the Blood Launcher mentioned on the previous page are still the way to go. The launcher has a user-friendly frontend and comes with a ton of extra content, WASD and mouselook (bmouse) should be enabled by default.

Protip: don't be tempted to use the higher resolutions, Blood may be an old game but it will murder your machine if you attempt to use any resolution above 1024x768, I tend to stick with 800x600.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
That's right but you don't really need to bother with the launcher if you just want to play through the original episodes. Gog version should be fine.

In case you have problems with mouselook: http://swisscm.duke4.net/ (Gotta love that 90s web design :lol: )

DraQ

Arcane
Doesn't Blood have a key bind for toggling the mlook by default?

Mouselook is a bit "chunky" in build engine games but it's perfectly possible to set them up with modern style FPS controls.
Last thing - don't play Blood on max difficulty. Just don't.

Astral Rag

Arcane

Heed these words of wisdom young padawans.

And you're right, you can enable mouselook by pressing the U key. Sadly the default mouselook is pretty terrible.

From the bmouse readme:

Here is some code that is most likely in the Blood, Duke3D,
Shadow Warrior and Redneck Rampage Source:

if (abs(control.axes[0])>abs(control.axes[1]))
control.axes[1]/=3;
else
control.axes[0]/=3;

What does that do? Why, it makes mouselook shitty! It essentially stops
both axes from being updated at the same time, giving preference to
the axis with the most movement.

Why they did this I have no idea, but it was actually incredibly simple
to fix. Most later Build games have an option to use an external device
for game controls. It was mainly designed in mind for use with headsets
and more complicated game controllers, but theoretically it could be
used with any traditional input.

Luckily, right on the 3D Realms website lay a zip containg sample code.
Maybe I could use this as a base to create a new mouse driver for Blood.
After some messing about installing an old compiler in DOSBox I set
about looking at the code to see if it was possible to do so using my
pathetically inept coding skills.

Turns out the code used a mouse as a sample device! Score! I quickly
compiled the binary to test it out only to find the exact same problem.
This got me worried, since if the same problem occurs using the external
driver it may be an internal problem, much harder to fix. Nonetheless I
looked into the source code.

I found the offending code above. All someone needed to do all along was
comment this code out and compile and mouselook is instantly far more usable!

Last edited:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Doesn't Blood have a key bind for toggling the mlook by default?

Mouselook is a bit "chunky" in build engine games but it's perfectly possible to set them up with modern style FPS controls.

Wasn't extra Crispy designed for co-op? But yeah, not advisable unless you know all the secrets.

DraQ

Arcane

Heed these words of wisdom young padawans.
It's called Extra Crispy because it makes you quit.
:troll:

And you're right, you can enable mouselook by pressing the U key. Sadly the default mouselook is pretty terrible.
Eh, it's chunky and bad but you don't really need rapid pixel-exact aiming in an old 2.5D game that forces autoaim on you anyway.

From the bmouse readme:

Here is some code that is most likely in the Blood, Duke3D,
Shadow Warrior and Redneck Rampage Source:

if (abs(control.axes[0])>abs(control.axes[1]))
control.axes[1]/=3;
else
control.axes[0]/=3;

What does that do? Why, it makes mouselook shitty! It essentially stops
both axes from being updated at the same time, giving preference to
the axis with the most movement.

(...)
All someone needed to do all along was
comment this code out and compile and mouselook is instantly far more usable!
:abyssgazer:
My mind just fucking went and imploded.
:prosper:
I hapv ne roewords.
Casuals! Build games don't need any mouselook controls.
Then why do they support them? :stupid:

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Casuals! Build games don't need any mouselook controls.
Then why do they support them? :stupid:

I don't know. It plays just fine with a keyboard. :obviously:

What's your major malfunction son.

I would pay good money to watch a video of you playing through one episode with KB only.

Rules:

Play through any official episode except the first on Well Done or Extra Crispy
Keyboard only :obviously:
Record raw footage and upload file to Youtube
No quick saving/ quick loading, max. 7 deaths/ level restarts per attempt
Deadline: June 7, 2015

Prizes:
Dibs on anything I offer in the beg thread until the end of 2015 + €5 Steam game + brofist

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom