Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Blood problems.

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by DefJam101, Jan 17, 2009.

1. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    I can't seem to run Blood. I removed it from abandonia's inventory and installed it fine. But I have a few problems.

1) I can't change the video mode or resolution, only the default seems to work (very low res). Otherwise it will not start.

2) The game stutters, chokes, whatever you want to call it. It will be running at 200 FPS, and then suddenly drop to <2, usually when looking in a certain direction.

Turning off one CPU core didn't help, DOSBox didn't help, and I can run Duke 3D perfectly.

Any idea what's up?

^ Top  
  2. GeneralSamov Erudite

GeneralSamov
    Compatibility mode, tried that one too?

^ Top  
  3. Monocause Arcane

Monocause
    You could try running it with Virtual PC, you'd have to remove a copy of win 95 or 98 from the inventory though.

^ Top  
  4. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    Sec, will do.

edit: Didn't do anything. Win 95 or 98.

^ Top  
  5. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    Virtual PC or DOSBox - go go go (with the second one you won't have to wait for Windows to not be removed from a torrent tracker inventory)

^ Top  
  6. LCJr. Erudite

LCJr.
    Hey I like grasping at straws too.

Did you try Silvermans patch mentioned in the Abandonia game description?

Doesn't Blood support Glide? Scroll down this page and try the Glide emulators. dgVoodoo usually works better with Nvidia and OpenGlide with ATi.

^ Top  
  7. Lord Rocket Erudite

Lord Rocket
    I never had any problems running Blood via DOSBox. Did you try fucking with the settings? I generally just put CPU Cycles to 'max' in the .cfg, most stuff seems to run pretty happily that way.
    Also, did you try it with the CLI2NOP patch (Google, should be on Vogons somewhere) and VDMSound yet? I'm pretty sure I got it running that way a few years ago too.

^ Top  
  8. non Infra Arcana Developer

non
    This is how you do it:
    http://buildxp.deathmask.net/

Edit: There is also an excellent torrent of One unit whole Blood that comes already setup with everything you need, no installation or anything required. The folder contains .bat files for the expansions and the original.

^ Top  
  9. Balor Arcane

Balor
    Btw, last I heard, win 95/98 are free right now.

^ Top  
  10. denizsi Arcane

denizsi
    Can not possibly be true. Last I heard, MS still charged for MS-Dos 6.22! I hope you're right, though.

^ Top  
  11. MisterStone Arcane

MisterStone
    I think that when you buy certain editions of windows you own a license to use 98/95... maybe that's what he was thinking of?

^ Top  
  12. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    Got it to work by using different sound drivers, problem fixed.

^ Top  
  13. denizsi Arcane

denizsi
    Gotta love the simplicity of the solution.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.