Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bloodlines impressions - teh indapendant opinion

plin

Liturgist
It seemed like the only infinite respawn was zombie related. First with the hollywood graveyard quest to keep the zombies from getting to the gates before the time runs out. And then in the giovanni place (and maybe another, the downtown quest where you need to kill the vamps that are spreading disease). The hollywood one was unavoidable (and I agree, lame. I loathe that quest so very much). The others, the zombies are so slow you can just walk by them easily. If you have a non-combat character, RUN PAST THEM. I hope you have the mad skills to at least do that.
OH NOOOO, INFINITE RESPAWN OF ZOMBIES TRAVELLING AT 0.1 MILES PER HOUR!!!!

OH THE HUMANITY TROIKA!!!!

Jinxed

Liturgist
In the Chinese Temple, enemies just keep on coming no matter what. Crossbowmen spawn right behind your back and shoot you. I remember that I used up 2x my ammo capacity in that area because I thought I could kill all of them. The chests with ammo came in handy. After that, in the room with the pedestals where you need to place the figurines, the guards seem to spawn right back when you leave that area. I ended up killing them off 4-5 times.

More infinite spawn comes into play with cops, although that's more realistic than guards being teleported and standing there like nothing happened. Then again, the cops spawn out of nowhere in corners, and behind dumpsters.

The enemies at LaCroix's tower are less of a bother, because unlike the guards in the temple, they don't use melee weapons. At least for all my characters, which ended up using ranged weapons.

suibhne

Erudite
Old Scratch said:
There aren't actually any infinite respawn zones in Bloodlines. I know because I'm a room clearing nut and won't move on till everything is quiet. They just come in waves of 2 and 3 which can make it seem that way. Still lame though.

Are you counting the last two levels? I tested the commandos at one point, killing them repeatedly only to watch them respawn mere seconds later - in the same exact spots. If that isn't "infinite respawning," it's close enough for jazz.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Truth be told, I didn't mind the Warrens at all. Sure it may be unrealistic, but that's about the only problem I can see with them. I guess too much Daggerfall has numbed me to long dungeon crawls. Hell, compared to most of the dungeons in DF, the Warrens are a fucking cake walk. :P

And, sadly, I must now admit that even I was turned off by the incessant bad design that has so blatantly slapped me in the face today once I worked my way through Chinatown a bit. The good news is, alot of it could be fixed with a patch. Whether that will happen or not though.... :?

Old Scratch

Liturgist
Jinxed said:
In the Chinese Temple, enemies just keep on coming no matter what. Crossbowmen spawn right behind your back and shoot you. I remember that I used up 2x my ammo capacity in that area because I thought I could kill all of them. The chests with ammo came in handy. After that, in the room with the pedestals where you need to place the figurines, the guards seem to spawn right back when you leave that area. I ended up killing them off 4-5 times.

More infinite spawn comes into play with cops, although that's more realistic than guards being teleported and standing there like nothing happened. Then again, the cops spawn out of nowhere in corners, and behind dumpsters.

The enemies at LaCroix's tower are less of a bother, because unlike the guards in the temple, they don't use melee weapons. At least for all my characters, which ended up using ranged weapons.

Don't know about that, I never had enemies keep spawning. Even in the Chinese temple, and even where the statues are located. I had the whole place cleared and free to stroll around in by the time I placed the statues. Maybe because I was offing their asses so fast with that magical sword, I got them down to where they stopped spawning a lot quicker.

Same with LaCroixs tower, the warrens--all those areas. Couldn't say for sure about the Giovanni mansion though.

I went the pimp route on the Romero quest, and I never had cops after me, so I wouldn't have noticed there.

suibhne said:
Old Scratch said:
There aren't actually any infinite respawn zones in Bloodlines. I know because I'm a room clearing nut and won't move on till everything is quiet. They just come in waves of 2 and 3 which can make it seem that way. Still lame though.

Are you counting the last two levels? I tested the commandos at one point, killing them repeatedly only to watch them respawn mere seconds later - in the same exact spots. If that isn't "infinite respawning," it's close enough for jazz.

You just didn't do it long enough. There's no endless respawns in the tower, and before you say it, not in the cafeteria either, with the exception of those Nosferatus while fighting the Sheriffs bat form. Did you guys just haul ass after the first wave, or what?

Infinite means endless. Since there was an end to their spawning, it was not infinite.

...The good news is, alot of it could be fixed with a patch. Whether that will happen or not though....

There's no way in hell they would alter the structure of the game to such a degree in a patch. Would be nice, but don't hold your breath. Hopefully they'll just learn from the mistake.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Old Scratch said:
There's no way in hell they would alter the structure of the game to such a degree in a patch. Would be nice, but don't hold your breath. Hopefully they'll just learn from the mistake.

Actually, I was referring to the respawning crap. The level design doesn't really bother me with the exception of the end part in the Malkav mansion as Saint pointed out. That was pretty lame. I've also managed to not be turned off by the fact that the main plot quests are pretty much linear in execution. There's enough side quests with variety to them to keep me appeased in that department. I just want the sneaking feat fixed, the respawning towards the end toned down a bit, and possibly some more dialogue options in spots. While they may not be able to alter the structure drastically, they could easily add more options to some of the quests on how it can be done. That probably won't happen though, but it would surely be nice.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Old Scratch said:
Don't know about that, I never had enemies keep spawning. Even in the Chinese temple, and even where the statues are located. I had the whole place cleared and free to stroll around in by the time I placed the statues. Maybe because I was offing their asses so fast with that magical sword, I got them down to where they stopped spawning a lot quicker.

Well, it even if it's not true, it's damn awful design. You see a big pack of guards rush your way and you fall back, only to be stabbed or shot in the back. I really did use up all my ammo and they just kept on comin'.

On the subject of Intimidation, I'm really looking into it. It may be that the ratio changes in later parts of the game, but Santa Monica is won by intimidation. Not counting the problems that can be solved by both, the use of intimidation yields more money from the guy at the start of the game, and is the best way to convince that ghoul to sell you more blood after you release lilly. Also, blackmailing the doctor with higher than usual intimidation lets you get more cash. The only time it back fires on you is with Dennis.

Edit: Forgot that Therese/Jeanette thing requires persuasion, if 4 or higher, it can result in 2 extra XP points.
Santa Monica
Intimidation 1 Persuasion 0

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Well.. I've finished the tutorial. Everyone made a big deal about the tutorial which i kinda find funny since it reminds me a lot of NWN OC's tutorial. that said, it was a slightl better one.

Anyways, my review of the game. The opening while kinda forceful and limiting was pretty cool and intriguing. The "Prince" didn't look like I thought he would. When others were discussing i was imaginating an imposing intimidating figure. What I got was a geeky looking kid. That, in some ways, is a good thing. Your tuotial buddy was funny.

Character creation was solid. not as good as games such as NWN or TOEE; but better than most about on par with KOTOR with the slight edge to BL here. I'm a Toreador who cocnetrates on investigating, defense, and persuasion.

Atmosphere is very good. It is appropraitely dark in nature consideirng it's about vampires. the television, computer, and radio found in your room are pretty good. Very nice features indeed.

Now, the huge problem ae the controls. Reminds me way too much of Gothic 2. Ewww.. It took me an hour + just o get through the tutorial simply because the controls were hazardous to my sanity and that's without dying though I had to rety one of my sneaking practices.

The game runs very slow espicially on load times in spite of me easily DESTORYING the reccomended specs. Saw one bug with the grate into the lower level of the last building and for some reason my character LOVES to float in the air and not move at the same time. Annoying.

Can't say much about the role-playing yet as I haven't gotten to the meat of the game just yet but I hope it's damn good 'cause the combat deserves to be destroyed.

That is all.. for now.

Lomer

Liturgist
Volourn said:
I'm a Toreador who cocnetrates on investigating, defense, and persuasion.

I see that your plan is to die a lot :D . With such preferences you will be an easy prey for any vampire opponent (unless you manage to use stealth kill). Put some points in perception/firearms or strength/brawl or melee, damn it. I also played a diplomatic Toreador, but specialized in range fighting as well. My character was pretty much a killing machine at the end (with maximized celerity, armed with Jaegerspas XV or Colt Anaconda and equipped with some blood packs). If you are going to rely on guns, bear in mind that the ammo is really expensive (and you don't have infinite income), so you should use it wisely. Stealth kill is your best friend. And you could handle some of the easier opponents (humans or headwalkers) with bare hands, even if you don't invest any points in brawl (you can get one for free, but I am not saying how).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Eh. I need perception for investigation so that's already being take care of. Firearms and melee are "secondary skills" for me. On top of that, combat has been easy so far in spite of my annoyance over controls.

Lasakon

Liturgist
So, I guess I'm going to buy Bloodlines this weekend... Or Pirates!. Not sure, given all the "Bloodlines has shity combat" and "the end of the game really sucks" comments.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I wouldn't say that the end of the game sucks. The end of the game is an FPS is a more accurate description. There is no shortage of XPs in the game, so by the time you reach the end, you prime skills are maxed. There are no items to look for, other than some ammo here and there. So, you basically play an FPS mini game and you may forget about the char system, inventory, and speech skills in the end. Depending on your combat skills it could fun, ok, or painful. For ranged fellas out there, ranged combat owns everything.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Pirates! is better value for money. It'll last longer and it's one of those games that makes you say "just 5 minutes more..." late into the night. Bloodlines is an alright RPG and a tedious action game. The overall effect is mediocre, especially since the game's story and plot fall flat in the 2nd half of the game.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Vault Dweller said:
There is no shortage of XPs in the game, so by the time you reach the end, you prime skills are maxed.

Yeah, is it just me or do they start giving out a ridiculous number of experience points once you reach Chinatown? It was such a shock; doing the smallest thing will net you around 4-5 experience it seems, while in the beginning of the game you only get 1 or 2 experience points for running all over the place. What's the deal with that?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Games always do that. Remember BG2? The problem with BL, however, is that the system sucks. If it had subskills to dump points into (like increased discipline durations, faster reloads, improved block, etc), it would have been more fun. Otherwise...

Jinxed

Liturgist
The strategic use of skill books in the right times and a couple of instances when you get trained save a lot of xp.

I also skip a couple of side quests in Hollywood and China Town going straight to the Giovanni to get that nifty talisman that gives you +1 xp every time you receive more than 2. I ended up pretty much a super vampire on steroids at the very end that way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom