Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Board game group - Vassal, Table Top simulator and others

da_rays

Augur
Eastern Time Zone (UTC-05:00) for me. I'm off work all the weekend, so unless some awesome busty chick show up at my place , i'll be available to play some SW or whatever you guys are willing to play. Any of you got OCTGN? Quite a few games on this as well . most of them are cards game , but a few of them are Leading card game , deckbuilding game if you're into that sort of things.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I've tried out vassal module for The Downfall of Pompeii. The module maker managed to leave out a card, but I figured out how to add it. Seems to work fine, but I'm not sure how to play multiple sides myself for full testing. 2-4 players. 30-60 minutes. Not to complicated. What do you think?

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I'm very down for a Game of Thrones board game session (vanilla or expansions), but have little interest in playing anything else.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well this Sunday will be a test game. A Easy game to see how it works and then scheduling for a bigger game next Sunday.

I only got done with my 7 days of drinking after graduating so i am still not a 100% on what game.

I am thinking Smallworld for starters to test out how things work this sunday and then try for gameofthrones next week.

std::namespace

vassal FUCKING SUCKS! because most modules do not enforce the game rules, you have to watch the other tard move his pieces right and do the math right...

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
vassal FUCKING SUCKS! because most modules do not enforce the game rules, you have to watch the other tard move his pieces right and do the math right...
That depends on the modules, but most require your opponent not to cheat/fail at following rules indeed.
But isn't Tabletop simulator usually even worse in this regard?

Otherwise, there is boardgame arena which enforces rules, but it is mostly Eurogames. Rally the Troops seems to be the BGA of wargames, but I haven't tried it yet, and there is a much smaller library of games/opponents pool available there.

That depends on the modules, but most require your opponent not to cheat/fail at following rules indeed.
Thank you for this information, sir!
Does Tabletop Simulator contain every game on Boardgamegeek.com?
What about Boardgame Arena, how does it compare in its selection of various pastime extravaganzas?

Chaleureuses Salutations, your truly, Std. Namespace
Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to your reply!

PS: shut the fuck up if you have no protips!

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
What about Boardgame Arena, how does it compare in its selection of various pastime extravaganzas?

I don't know if TTS has every board game. You can always look at the Steam Workshop to see if your game is listed.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

TTS also has quite a few miniature games (40K, X-wing). The difference between scripted and unscripted mods can be night and day, but even the scripted ones usually have a poor UI.

Rules are implemented/enforced on BGA, and turn upkeep is automated (the bugs/accuracy depends on the game), so it feels like a proper computer game experience, instead of moving tokens on a screenwith a mouse . It is by far the most convenient platform for board gaming, but it has very few grognard games(most are optimization eurogames, but without conflict, so worker placement, and all).
The exceptions are:

Space Empires 4X: wargamey 4X in space with hidden information, highly recommended
Talon: Fleet battle game, by the same designer (also with hidden information)
Through the Ages: Abstracted Civilization without a board (it is a very heavy euro game, but it features direct aggression. It is still mostly an optimization game).

The following ones are games I haven't tried, but that would still count as light wargames/Ameritrash:

Unconditional Surrender: WW2 grand strategic game (I haven't tried it)
Blood Rage: I haven't played it either, but it is in the same vein as Chaos in the Old World (and by the same designer), which is a FFA area control game with asymetric powers and victory conditions.

why dont you dudes refuse to understand that i dont want the shit on TS and BGA? i CAN fucking google and i did even before installing vassal
i have checked them out, they are crap
they cant and wont license the thousands existing boardgames on bbg
is this on ts?!?!!?!?1
https://vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Kassala
no? gee

i was interested in some old boardgame rules and how they play in real but i am sure as fuck dont wanna click on every tile to get my 5 movement unit to move according to the rules, not ignoring zoc, traversing terrain...!
HOLY SHIT! thats what the mainframes were created for!

and imagine explaining this to the dude you wanted to play against AHAHAHAH ROFLLFELSL

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
why dont you dudes refuse to understand that i dont want the shit on TS and BGA? i CAN fucking google and i did even before installing vassal
is this on ts?!?!!?!?1
no? gee

i was interested in some old boardgame rules and how they play in real but i am sure as fuck dont wanna click on every tile to get my 5 movement unit to move according to the rules, not ignoring zoc, traversing terrain...!

and imagine explaining this to the dude you wanted to play against AHAHAHAH ROFLLFELSL
You sound upset. Have you taken a Midol?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
is this on ts?!?!!?!?1
no? gee

Imagine? I play over Vassal once every week for this very reason. How about trying then?
Your last option would be to script a TTS or BGA module yourself, or talk someone into doing it.

Edit: many modules track the moves from your opponent, so you don't need to check them in real time:

1709044668797.png

1709044712128.png

You also have the log. If playing by email (which is super cumbersome), you can set the game to auto log all moves, and play them one by one:

1709044773165.png
1709044957794.png

Also, in case you already know all of this, it doesn't matter. It is a forum thread, so it could be of use to someone else who really wants to try.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
1. Don't necro nearly ten-year old threads unless you have a very good reason to do so.

2. If you do so, don't shitpost in said threads.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom