Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Book of Eschalon is corrupted

Higher Game

Arcane
This game is amazing, but what bothered me the most was mixing the hand-crafted dungeons with mostly random loot that varied tremendously in value. It looks and even feels like a classic RPG, but its been influenced by roguelike elements that simply don't belong, at least not as extensively as they are seen. The simplistic quests were another part of this problem; so much more could have been done.

The fact that Book II looks to aim to stop save-scumming, and add things like challenge games, hunger and thirst, and so on, just shows that this series is heading in the wrong direction. It should have been an old school RPG, not the dungeon-grinder it's slowly turning into. :(

My best hope is that Book II's more open engine and so on can be used to make a more traditional RPG. Book I is still the best RPG in perhaps 5 years, but the mechanics favor the hack and slash experience a little too much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom