Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Bravely Second

deuxhero

Arcane
I think this is only 3DS game I am looking forward to now. The original had its shortcomings but utimately it was the best final fantasy in 10 years. Square should finally can FF series and return to its roots with this. Or develop new tactics game.
as if a new tactics developed by current square wouldn't be total shit.

Well, Bravely Default wasn't total shit - it seemed to be a homage to the days long forgotten. It was flawed, but it did prove that Square have at least a few talented people.

Yeah, and apparently they're called Silicon Studio. :smug:

I seriously can't remember the last good game SE made in house.

Keldryn

Arcane
I played the demo for Bravely Default, but I haven't bought it yet. I'm still working through the 3DS games that I got for Christmas 2013.

Bravely Second looks good. Since the first game was so successful in North America, proving that JRPGs of this style are still viable...

Now give us the Dragon Quest VII remake.

And Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 3.

Why not port Dragon Quest VIII to the 3DS while you're at it? It's a better fit for the 3DS than it is for the iPad. An enhanced port of Dragon Quest IX (with less muddy graphics) would be cool too.

All four of these could be done in less time than it takes to make one fucking Final Fantasy game, and at a fraction of the cost.

Keldryn

Arcane
Just play it using an emulator. Game looks fan-fucking-tastic using PCSX2.

My home PC couldn't even hope to run a PS2 game at anything approaching a playable speed. I'm sure that it does look great running under emulation on a PC with decent horsepower. DQ8 was one of the nicer looking PS2 titles anyway.

I'd like a 3DS version simply because most of my gaming time is during my 45-minute train rides
to and from work every day. I have a two year-old and a very energetic 4 year-old at home, so I don't really get to spend much time gaming on my PC (one reason why it's out of date).

The iPad version looks pretty nice (from the screenshots), but the portrait mode is a huge turn-off, plus I can pretty much guarantee that I'll hate the control scheme.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I doubt the 3DS could run Dragon Quest 8, I think you'll have more chances with a Vita version. Which means next to none. Frankly if a port to a decent handheld was made, it might not even be localized. Dragon Quest 7 (for 3DS) is ready for prime-time but Square hasn't even made a peep about it coming to the west, or even the recently released (and decline) Dragon Quest X.

Mobile ports tend to control like shit most of the time anyway. Only for strategy games did it work out well, but even some JRPGs MADE for iOS control like shit. Can't imagine doing it on an even bigger screen.

Keldryn

Arcane
I doubt the 3DS could run Dragon Quest 8, I think you'll have more chances with a Vita version.

My impression is that the 3DS is slightly less powerful than the Wii, which was more powerful than the PS2.

On the other hand, I just watched the trailer for DQ7 3DS again, and frankly it doesn't touch DQ8 PS2 graphically. The 3DS port of Tales of the Abyss (originally on PS2) also suffers from some framerate problems and has inferior graphics to the PS2 version. I have no idea if it was a quick-and-dirty port, or if they were pushing the limits of the system, although I would put my money on the former.

Which means next to none. Frankly if a port to a decent handheld was made, it might not even be localized. Dragon Quest 7 (for 3DS) is ready for prime-time but Square hasn't even made a peep about it coming to the west, or even the recently released (and decline) Dragon Quest X.

Porting Dragon Quest VIII to the 3DS or Vita wouldn't need any additional localization work. They just released it on iOS and Android. Any necessary localizations are done, other than a handful of references to the specific hardware it is running on.

Unfortunately, the current stance on releasing Dragon Quest VII 3DS is:

“Going back to people who want DQVII to come out… we’ve gotten a lot of requests, we really want to do it, but right now, we need to hammer out what kind of resources we’d need to do it. We say this a lot, but, we can’t seem to get to the point where it’s justifiable.”

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/3...est-vii-3ds-west-arent-sure-itll-sell-enough/

It seems like they are basing this decision on the sales figures for the DS remakes of IV, V, and VI, rather than the figures for VIII and IX. I don't know if that is the best comparison. VII is a somewhat more sophisticated game than those that originated on the NES and SNES. Those DS remakes are based on the PS1 remakes, and they look like blocky PS1 games. The 3DS remake of VII looks much more like VIII and IX.

Dragon Quest has never been a mega-hit outside of Japan. They've been crowing about how Bravely Default has sold over 600k copies outside of Japan, which is still less than half of what either DQ8 or DQ9 sold outside of Japan.

What they should do is get the localization finished in time to launch it in a cross-promotion with Bravely Second. This could mean selling both games together at a discount, adding a special gameplay item or perk if you have both games, whatever. If Bravely Default really has sent them the message that people still want to play classic JRPGs, then why not strike while the iron is hot?

Damn, now I'm itching to dig out my PS2 and hook it up just so I can play Dragon Quest VIII. I got about 25 hours into it when it first came out, but not long after that I got a job at EA, then on to Rockstar, and then had two children... At this point, I think I'd need to start over.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like Jump got some new stuff about Bravely Second.

First of all, there's a masked man called Emperor (of) Oblivion. Looks like a real war-monger, who uses his military forces to bring chaos the world. He's the one responsible for Agnès' kidnapping during the Peace Treaty signing ceremony.

Anne: a mysterious black fairy (spoiler) which looks like Airy..., which seems to be on Oblivion's side.

Finally, Tomoya Asano confirms a demo will be released soon.
54772c307616ce.jpg

grudgebringer

It seeems like JP region is getting demo on 10th of December. So... we can increment a year and a half from now and get a release date for west, right?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You don't give a fuck about this game? I don't care.

First of all, there's also a village to rebuild, just like Norende in Bravely Default. This time around, it's Magnolia's hometown that has been destroyed. Seems to be working the same way (gather people via StreetPass, build stuff faster, get great rewards, fight some powerful bosses).
Eh, could have done without this but the extra bosses can be fun.

D Journal is now the U Journal (it's Yuu's, the protagonist). Inside, same info as in the D journal, including over 320 entries for monsters.

There's also a new system during battles: Consecutive Chance. If you defeat all enemies in one turn, you can chose to fight another wave of enemies for x1.5 reward. The more you use CC, the more rewards you get... but BP stays the same, so be careful.
Could be a good way to earn money and other crap quickly.

It allows you to create a list of your characters and have it save what jobs they’re using, along with their commands, abilities, and equipment. Making it much easier to have various setups with all the jobs out there.
Every freaking rpg with jobs needs something like this.

0148wuon.jpg

012bfuv2.jpg

011r7u06.jpg

010mfuhc.jpg

More here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=944992

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I think it's more of a case of "We can't talk about that yet" scenario. The first game did better in the West than it did in Japan.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
You guys thought this thread was dead? Think again!

My favorite character of the first game, Miss Mgrgrgrgr is back and I am pleased. I hope she's playable.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
this is the only jap game worth a damn.
can't wait to grind dis shit.

all the old classes seem to be in.
as of the new ones... neon knights, some FFXV-looking emo class, nun?, baker?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
this is the only jap game worth a damn.
can't wait to grind dis shit.

all the old classes seem to be in.
as of the new ones... neon knights, some FFXV-looking emo class, nun?, baker?
This is what I've got.

Freelancer, White Mage, Black Mage, Knight, Tomahawk, Wizard, Monk, Thief, Shopkeeper, Time Mage, Exorcist, Chariot, Hunter, Valkyrie, Summoner, Red Mage, Guardian, Cat User, Pirate, Performer, Ninja, Sword Master, Astrologist, and finally Pastry Chef.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's a fursuit class. Based...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom