Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Breaking News! You can cry in Fallout 3

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
If it were a "desperate" idea, you'd have heard about it from every major gaming website. This is Bethesda, remember?

Dark Matter

Prophet
Screw you guys. It's a nice little touch, even if it doesn't have any real effect on the game. I'm glad game developers don't share your dumb attitude, and still think about little things such as this.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Dark Matter said:
Screw you guys. It's a nice little touch, even if it doesn't have any real effect on the game. I'm glad game developers don't share your dumb attitude, and still think about little things such as this.

Thinking about little things is fine.

Bethesda has openly admitted their design philosophy is "when someone from the team comes up with a good idea, we include it".

Sounds good? Well it isn't. Every QA retard in that building can come up with fun little things until you get a bigger, more inconsistent mess than Fallout 2 was.

This is just another one of those "fun little things". Pointless, stupid, who cares except Bethesda's hype?

MetalCraze

Arcane
crying cute little baby is one of those things you can't fit into a dark grim post-apoc world.

but beth proved you can.

sabishii

Arbiter
Dark Matter said:
Yes, I am so glad they spend the time to add in these cute little ideas that will have no noticeable impact on my enjoyment of the game. In fact, I am overjoyed that they are taking this time away from working on the real issues that will make or break my gaming experience. Hopefully they will offer more of these ideas as premium downloads because they make me so excited that I will practically jizz the $2 on their face.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
We want the $2 Dogmeat Armour. It has a real effect on the game.
Spok_in_metal_3-375x275.jpg

Lurkar

Scholar
This really is kinda stupid to complain about.

Then again, it's also REALLY stupid to BRAG about.

Dark Matter

Prophet
sabishii said:
Dark Matter said:
Yes, I am so glad they spend the time to add in these cute little ideas that will have no noticeable impact on my enjoyment of the game. In fact, I am overjoyed that they are taking this time away from working on the real issues that will make or break my gaming experience. Hopefully they will offer more of these ideas as premium downloads because they make me so excited that I will practically jizz the $2 on their face.
Not really. Most of those "issues" are intentional design choices they made to make the game more appealing to certain audiences. So regardless of whether they add features like this or not, they're not gonna "fix" those "issues".

RK47 said:
LOL!

sabishii

Arbiter
Dark Matter said:
Not really. Most of those "issues" are intentional design choices they made to make the game more appealing to certain audiences. So regardless of whether they add features like this or not, they're not gonna "fix" those "issues".
Yeah, they just throw design ideas in and the gameplay is GERAT! They don't need to spend any time actually working on the game, because the gameplay tests, balances, updates, and implements itself. MOAR CRYING.

MetalCraze

Arcane
sabishii said:
because the gameplay tests, balances, updates, and implements itself.

in beth case that's actually what modders do after everybody payed their $50 for the game

DraQ

Arcane
Wth crying animations being the second most needed one for little brats and the fact that making it controlable will, at least, give player a symbollic ability to make their character protest against the horrid, bloom infested reality, I don't see the reasone for all the fuss.

Edit: Too bad that you'll only get to determine your looks at the start of the game, represented by genetic test results, and won't be able to pick your stats until later on. Seeing one of the doctors turn to the PC's father and say "I hate to say this, but your son... will be mentally defficient." after player choses INT as his dump-stat would be priceless.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I don't believe you people fully understand this feature. Bethesda always tries to expand their target audience, and being able to cry is a major selling point for all EMOs around.

MetalCraze

Arcane
more like they want to make the girls play the game too. who else would care about crying baby in the starting sequence of the fucking post-apoc world with your life worth less than a penny? but fuck this shit - babies are immortal there anyway.

Lemunde

Scholar
Spacemoose said:
:cry: not nearly sad enough, god knows we need an emot to express utter despair, and this one ain't cutting it

Something like this?
100px-Luke_whining.jpg

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Bethtard said:
I don't particularly think a baby crying is something "cute". It's a normal part of childbirth. And since the big thing is immersion, the idea of being in that moment and crying gives another shot of humanity into the bleak depressing wasteland, plus provides some semblance of a connection to the character that everyone feels is a blank slate.
DEEP.

mountain hare

Scholar
It's bad enough that I have to hear ugly annoying babies crying and screeching in real life, but they include it in a game? WTF? That just sets the tone for a shitty game, IMHO.

Have they added the ability of your character to take a shit in Fallout 3? I mean, that would sure add to the reality, showing that you are simply a human, not some sort of God.

mountain hare

Scholar
Bethtard:
I don't particularly think a baby crying is something "cute". It's a normal part of childbirth. And since the big thing is immersion, the idea of being in that moment and crying gives another shot of humanity into the bleak depressing wasteland, plus provides some semblance of a connection to the character that everyone feels is a blank slate.

Why do they give the player the option to allow the baby to suck on penis? I mean, that would increase the immersion factor by demonstrating how fucked up humanity is in the dreary and morally bankrupt post apocalyptic world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom