Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Build me an Arcanum character because I'm a filthy casual and too stupid to do it myself.

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by youhomofo, Aug 4, 2020.

1. jackofshadows Savant

jackofshadows
    Making Eye Gears is also very profitable so if someone wants to develop mechanic in order to create Arachnides or even Automatons later it's a better option for that.

For found schematics investing into undesired schools is unnecessary - better just buy some tech manuals.

^ Top  
  2. youhomofo Augur

youhomofo
    The combat in this game is so bad. And there's so much of it. It's shit real-time and shit turn-based. I did not think it would be this bad. I just assumed a bunch of casuals were wining because it didn't hold their hand and guide them delicately along.

I don't know how anyone can play a game with shitty gameplay for the dozens of hours this RPG would take to beat.

• nice nice x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. jackofshadows Savant

jackofshadows
    Seem accurate to me.

^ Top  
  4. marek Literate

marek
    Simple: many - including myself - just don't care that much about combat mechanics. Planescape:Torment had bad combat mechanics, Disco Elysium had (basically) no combat mechanics, both games are considered great despite this.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    Bunch of 'tards tho

As you will soon learn, combat is inevitable in life. It is even the essence of it

^ Top  
  6. Sweeper Magister Zionist Agent

Sweeper
    True.
    Very true.
    And only one of those games is an RPG.
    An RPG can be good despite shit combat, but it does have to have combat.
    Daily Reminder: Disco Elysium is not an RPG, regardless of how it's marketed or how much you like it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. marek Literate

marek
    Why exactly? Disco Elysium is not a text adventure: your actions, options and outcomes are derived from your skills and rolls. More of an RPG than many modern aRPGs - and non-combat P&P RPGs focusing on e.g. theft and intrigue also exist. Sadly not so much as crpgs & quite niche. But several good RPGs at least offer no combat as an option (e.g. AoD as Commercium).

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Sweeper Magister Zionist Agent

Sweeper
    :nocountryforshitposters:

^ Top  
  9. marek Literate

marek
    "Disco elysium is not a text adventure" - Marek the Wise, ca. 2020 a.D.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    Only by storyfags. Weekly reminder:

The other problem is the amount of towns, the town-spam. After Tarant, it's one boring-ass town after another.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Latro Arcane

Latro
    and so is not an RPG, screw off

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Bester ⚰️☠️⚱️ Patron Vatnik

Bester
    Just started an Arcanum replay. Got scarred by the wolves. Thankfully I noticed the floating message, otherwise I wouldn't know why my Beauty is lower than usual. Is there no interface for afflictions like that?

^ Top  
  13. Bester ⚰️☠️⚱️ Patron Vatnik

Bester
    Why doesn't Virgil want to wear wool armor? I don't see what it has to do with magic/technology. It doesn't, does it?

^ Top  
  14. whocares Educated

whocares
    There's a tab in the journal that lists your injuries. Just so you know - doctors can cure those.

As for your next points - Virgil must think that the armor is worse than his robes, otherwise he's generally not very picky about what to wear, also make sure you're not trying to dress him in manlet or lardass clothes.

And for attacking the engine - try entering combat mode first.

^ Top  
  15. Eastwood Literate

Eastwood
    Followers are kind of stupid in deciding what to wear. I think they prioritize the items with the highest sale value, which obviously leads to a lot of suboptimal choices. Try to remove all other armor from him, if you want him to wear the wool armor.
    Another possibility could be that the armor is not the right size category. Humans can only wear medium sized armors, while ogres wear large and the little races small sizes.

^ Top  
  16. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    The wool armor is probably Large-sized for half-ogres and the like; Virgil requires medium sized stuff.
    halfings, dwarfs and the small dipshits also known as gnomes wear small sized armor.
    All others wear medium sized armor
    This applies only to torso armor.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.