Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Call of Duty 4

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I borrowed this from a friend and it's one of the best shooters I've played in a very long time. It does have one thing that pisses me off, though. Infinitely respawning enemies. A single big ugly pus cunt blight on an otherwise excellent game. It also suffers from poor weapon selection, as the gun you start with will be better than anything else you find due to low recoil and a red dot sight (rather than iron sights), but in a game like this that doesn't matter terribly much as the guns are all basically the same. The first level especially was a lot of fun, even though it was mostly scripted. The sniper mission was also pretty intense, though it strained suspension of disbelief a bit.

Right now I'm stuck on a British mission at the part where you have to run back down to the bottom of the hill in less than three minutes while fighting through a horde of infinitely respawning enemies with little to no cover. It's ridiculous. It doesn't help that if you get shot the screen spazzes out and turns red to where it's impossible to see anyone.

That has always been my problem in games like this, I have trouble picking out enemies from the background. This game isn't as bad as some, but I had to re-do the AC-130 gunship mission several times (you are a gunner on a flying gunship and it's done entirely through a kinda fuzzy black/white infrared camera and the friendlies you aren't supposed to shoot are distinguished only by a very subtle pulsing). Of course, maybe I just screwed up my video settings, but I've got everything on max and high widescreen resolution.

Anyways, despite my complaining it's one of the best games I've played in a long time, certainly one of the best FPSes, and if they got rid of infinite respawning (or at least toned it the fuck down) it would be in my top 5 instead of my top 10. It's fairly freeform, too, there's a lot of scripting but at the same time the areas are fairly wide open and you can go around different streets and whatnot. It does present a problem because usually you are getting shot at from several directions at once and all your allies have taken all the cover so it seems like there's no place to stand, but eh. It is a difficult game, something I haven't seen in an FPS for a while, but how much of that difficulty is just due to the infinite respawning I'm not sure.

edit- I thought of another thing that made me mad: exploding cars. If anyone shoots cars too much they explode and instagib you. It's silly.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
kingcomrade said:
[whining]
Man the fuck up.
kingcomrade said:
It is a difficult game, something I haven't seen in an FPS for a while, but how much of that difficulty is just due to the infinite respawning I'm not sure.
Ever tried to take into consideration that you suck at playing games?

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
I really enjoyed it as well, scripted as it was... though, due to that, I might not replay it any time soon.
I found the rush to the bottom of the hill to be fairly easily, actually. Just... run. Past everyone. I was on the second-hardest difficulty, so maybe it's harder on Veteran, but I only died once or twice. Protecting Colonel McHaggis in the previous mission was a fucking bitch, by comparison.

I've ventured into the online play twice, but I immediately die to invisible sweaty men who have the maps memorized and can actually pick other people out against the background in time.

fastpunk

Arbiter
It's a focused experience with a lot of variety and some really memorable moments. The gunplay is solid and the audio-visual presentation is top notch. Can't ask for more from a shooter. However, you can finish it in one day if you've got a light schedule. Which sucks. Thank God for multiplayer though, which ads some value to it.

Dire Roach

Prophet
I've found that increasing the brightness settings a bit makes a world of a difference for me when it comes to spotting movement against the background in FPS games.

As for the infinite respawns, it's actually more of an illusion; if you stand your ground killing all the commies, gypsies, sand niggers, etc. coming your way, eventually you will notice they will spawn at a much slower rate or stop spawning completely. At least, that's what happens in any difficulty setting but the hardest (which I never tried playing on).

And yes, all you have to do in that run-down-the-hill mission is just find a side route and keep running while ignoring all enemies except those that stand directly in front of you. The airstrikes you can call in are completely unnecessary.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, and it has a nuclear explosion in it :P !

It's a fine piece of a game. It shows how scripted, non-linear games should look like.

Kingcomrade said:
Right now I'm stuck on a British mission at the part where you have to run back down to the bottom of the hill in less than three minutes while fighting through a horde of infinitely respawning enemies with little to no cover. It's ridiculous. It doesn't help that if you get shot the screen spazzes out and turns red to where it's impossible to see anyone.

What Jimbob said, just run down the hill and wait for the rest of the team. And remember that you can call in an airstrike.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
barker_s said:
Yeah, and it has a nuclear explosion in it :P !

It's a fine piece of a game. It shows how scripted, non-linear games should look like.

Kingcomrade said:

What Jimbob said, just run down the hill and wait for the rest of the team. And remember that you can call in an airstrike.
Whatever you do don't take the right side or your fucked, take the left.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you have trouble picking out enemies in this don't play Bad Company. It has some truly awful enemy/background separation.

Deleted member 7219

I think the enemy respawning really ruined CoD4. Nothing was more shite than playing through on highest difficulty, carefully picking off enemies then getting behind cover... only to discover that in those few seconds you've spent crawling forwards, the enemies have respawned. You practically have to keep sprinting forward in order to make any progress in that game.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Really? That's the village hill mission right? I always took the right side (all the way right). Ran through a field, bypassed the majority of the enemies actually, and ended up only killing maybe 3-6 as I made my way through the map. It was pretty easy, I just died twice before mostly exploring the levels a bit and trying alternate routes.

Also, how was bad company? Looks funny actually.

Edit:
I also greatly disliked the lack of complete customization for weapons, like how you would have to choose between one upgrade for the gun vs another. I wish it would've been more complete like if you wanted you could get a silencer and a red-dot sight and a grenade launcher on that M-16 if you really wanted.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Don't lie. You didn't, otherwise you would not have made nor continued to make stupid comments. There's a Counter Strike server calling your name.

I just finished the game. Really cool game, I'm going to play it through again.

Never played any Call of Duty nor Medal of Honor. Is this worth trying?
Call of Duty 4, definitely. I've played the first Call of Duty and the third. The first is fair, not really that great. The third one is terrible.

As for Medal of Honor (the one for PC), it was great back in the day, and if you can find it for 5-10 dollars or something you might as well. The originals were fun on the Playstation but I wouldn't recommend them now, they are terribly primitive (like most Playstation games nowadays).

Quilty

Magister
inwoker said:
Never played any Call of Duty nor Medal of Honor. Is this worth trying?

I would recommend COD 4, but be aware that it's not an FPS that strives for realism. Its greatest strength is it's movie-like quality and the ability to provide the player with some truly breathtaking scripted scenes. It really depends on your preferences.

I also enjoyed COD 2, especially the missions set in Russia, because they had this gritty, desolate feeling (even despite the campy overemphasis of the Soviet camaraderie) along with some wonderfully scripted scenes. The missions in which you drive a tank were also enjoyable for me, but it was still not realistic and had an arcade approach to it. Again, depends on what you are looking for in a game.

MetalCraze

Arcane
One of the best FPS'es?
Man, it has roughly 5 hours of gameplay, heavy scripts, grenade indicators, health regen and infinite ammo with every single enemy carrying ~400 bullets specially for your gun.
It is a FPS you can complete one time at best (because you don't notice all that predictable scripts at first) and don't feel bored, mainly due to its short game time.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's fun. For the 1st time. And dynamic. That's why I've played it. Most FPSes are boring of course.
But CoD4 is nowhere near the -best- FPSes.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Sure it is. There's not a very long list of best FPSes, I don't know who you are comparing it to.
It's also fun the second time I played it.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Thoroughly enjoyed COD4 SP. Yeah, it was short - which is why I borrowed a mate's copy, naughty me.

My mate tells me it's worth buying my own copy for the online stuff, but I'm resisting. Every FPS I buy I find the online component wanting. Doesn't help that I'm a bit shit at online reaction-based games, I guess :)

So what's meant to be so great about COD4 MP?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Captain Price has an awesome 'stache. It's awesome when he flips over and gets angry.

Like that part where he grabs you and shouts, "Soap, we have to go and we have to go now!" Or the one where he threatens to throw the Russian over the edge.

Kingcomrade, did you play the epilogue in the airplane? It is EPIC. Gotta love the Airplane reference.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
HanoverF said:
If you have trouble picking out enemies in this don't play Bad Company. It has some truly awful enemy/background separation.
Just so you know, real life seems to have had similar issues with this since the advent of a simple technology known as 'camouflage.'

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
FPSes with constantly respawning enemies are shit and you're stupid if you think otherwise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom