Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Call of Duty: World at Yawn

• Thread starter A user named cat
  • Start date

A user named cat

Trash said:
Been playing the game for quite a bit in the weekend and while it's enjoyable it's certainly the runt of the COD litter. Like the other COD's it's in it's heart a linear shooting gallery, but while it certainly has a few rather cool setpieces the game ends up feeling forgettable and rushed.
Have you finished it yet? I'm wondering about the length and if it's any longer than CoD4. I do agree it does feel rushed, rather it just feels like they wanted to quickly cash in on a console shooter using the CoD name. Not only does it use the same engine as CoD4, but it copies a lot of the same level sequences and situations just with a different mask.

PS That incredible bloomy screenshot is actually from one of the cooler setpieces in which the japs ambush you in the night and flares turn everything in some bizarro black and white. It's neat and the overuse of bloom actually serves a purpose.
I was sort've thinking it was from that but didn't remember it looking so shiny. Maybe because I basically hid in the shack to the side and picked off the ambushers.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Yeah, it really feels like an inferior copy with a different setting when you compare it to COD4. From the engine, to several levels (sniper level springs to mind) and the way the level is introduced while the game is loading, it all feels incredibly familiar.

Haven't finished it yet though I've only been playing it for three or four hours on medium difficulty. Most levels however seem to pass in record tempo and I'm currently finished with the usmc mission where you clean out mortar pits and am busy cleaning out gun emplacements. (which is a rather decent level so far)

Still enjoying the game, but I've always liked the cod games before so that's no big surprise. It's still absolutely nothing compared to the awesome that was COD4 though. I'm almost looking forward to completing it so I can go back to bully, allthough the hamfisted acting, the shitty script and bayoneting japs just bring a smile to my face whenever I load the game.

A user named cat

That analogy would work if CoD 1 or 2 had sucked, which they didn't. Well, that logic wouldn't really work anyway considering Star Trek is fucking gay and beyond nerdy.

goatvomit

Eau de Rapax
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The SP campaign was extremely short even by today's standards and at least for me it felt the 'tunnel' you're supposed to run was even narrower than before. Plenty of invisible walls around the area you were supposed to use and to stop the spawning one had to rush to the checkpoints without necessarily killing every enemy. I know it is an arcade game and hence expecting anything better is somewhat silly but the frontal attacks without a good chance of any flanking maneuvers were damn annoying. Perhaps the multiplayer part will be the salvation...

A user named cat

Yeah I just finished it, was pretty short and felt rushed. Respawns became a nuissance as well but kept it challenging. Have to say though, some of the levels are just damn fun. The last couple levels were pretty tough and I liked the ending sequence even more than CoD4. The undead survival mode you unlock is pretty fun itself as well. Overall, not a bad game just lacked originality and Infinity Ward's design polish. I thought the art design was great for the most part, took some shots of the last couple areas and ending.

Zombie nazis:

MetalCraze

Arcane
It seems I've learned the innovashun of CoD5
Along with the retarded set of regeneration, infinite ammo, grenade detectors, respawning enemies it now has a WW2 tank with... regenerating armor?

A user named cat

I ran out of ammo quite a few times in WaW, wasn't as easy to come across aside from a few later stages when you're fighting a shitload of enemies with nice guns. The actual weapon choices in this game are way better than CoD4, unfortunately they lack punch and whoever did the audio sampling for them thought it would be great to make them sound mostly like pellet guns (especially the mp40).

I forgot to mention something here: Kiefer Sutherland is the most annoying mother fucker in a game ever. If you decide to take your time on any missions with him around, he'll bust out with S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-like repetition and will never shut up. I wanted to kill him so many times.

A user named cat

Bonzai!

Did you like sticking them in the neck with your knife as much as I did? They made melee attacks more powerful than guns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom