Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone is still pretty mad about Obsidian

karfhud

Augur
What, were you expecting him to type in all-caps and use the F-word? He called Obsidian's owners incompetent sell-outs and couldn't even bring himself to say anything positive about their (and his) most successful game. I think it's safe to say he's disgruntled.

"Disgruntled" is a bit less clickbaitish than "mad", isn't it? :)

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
dd7o8.jpg
Remove the beard and the bushy eyebrows (changed my mind, the eyebrows have to stay) and he actually looks like a sinister, shark-toothed Pete Hines.

What, were you expecting him to type in all-caps and use the F-word? He called Obsidian's owners incompetent sell-outs and couldn't even bring himself to say anything positive about their (and his) most successful game. I think it's safe to say he's disgruntled.

"Disgruntled" is a bit less clickbaitish than "mad", isn't it? :)
He seemed more annoyed with them, or apathetic.

ApatheticMCA

Not to be confused with aphatmc~

OR SHOULD HE????!!?!!!!??!!

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Does :mca: not love :timcain:?

:(
decline.png

SB: Continuing with some things said in that interview, you said you think Fallout has “room to grow” outside of the US. Considering the heavy emphasis that the Fallout games put on Americana and American exceptionalism as a central theme of that world, do you really think a game set outside of the US (anywhere except Canada which was annexed, and isn’t much different from the US anyhow) would be able to keep that Fallout personality and theme going that separates it from other Post-apocalyptic games like Metro?

CA: I don't know. It would require a lot of research and actual developers (inc. writers and artists) for those regions to really make it sing otherwise I think it would sound false if a company largely composed of Californians (or Marylanders) did it.

So fanboy, what are you going to do now that your god, Avellone, is shitting all over your other god, Tim Cain:

(a) I will leave the internet forever. I can’t deal with reality.
(b) Fuck Avellone. Tim Cain is the only true God. He made Arcanum!
(c) Fuck Tim Cain. Avellone is the only true God. He made Planescape: Tomernt!
(d) They didn’t fight. He is just a bit disgruntled, he is not mad.
(e) I will stop being a fanboy. Developers are just like normal people: They have pettiness and rivalry, they are not perfect.

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
Does :mca: not love :timcain:?

:(
decline.png

SB: Continuing with some things said in that interview, you said you think Fallout has “room to grow” outside of the US. Considering the heavy emphasis that the Fallout games put on Americana and American exceptionalism as a central theme of that world, do you really think a game set outside of the US (anywhere except Canada which was annexed, and isn’t much different from the US anyhow) would be able to keep that Fallout personality and theme going that separates it from other Post-apocalyptic games like Metro?

CA: I don't know. It would require a lot of research and actual developers (inc. writers and artists) for those regions to really make it sing otherwise I think it would sound false if a company largely composed of Californians (or Marylanders) did it.

So fanboy, what are you going to do now that your god, Avellone, is mad with your other god, Tim Cain:

(a) I will leave the internet forever. I can’t deal with reality.
(b) Fuck Avellone. Tim Cain made Arcanum!
(c) Fuck Tim Cain. Avellone made Planescape: Tomernt!
(d) They didn’t fight. He is just a bit disgruntled or apathetic, not mad.
(e) I will stop being a fanboy. Developers are just like normal people: They have pettiness and rivalry, they are not perfect.
(f)

FUDU

Arcane
he was provoking MCA into badmouthing another company working on the same franchise. You... don't do that.
Especially if your current wage depends on that company.
God forbid that a company that churns out self-determined blockbuster after blockbuster on a yearly basis and regularly(!) pays their employees well(!!) offers a more enjoyable work experience than some badly managed fly-by-night operation that barely clinges to life with badly thought-out and forgettable publisher grunt-work every 5 years and that this factors significanly into an employee's evaluation of said companies.
If you're implying that he quit because of constant delays in paying Obsidian's employees and low wages, why didn't he do something? He was one of the founders and CFO. He was responsible for all the employees as well.
Guess that's why he quit.
nqnyx5V.gif
So he deserted his responsibilities and is now shit talking the management who, according to him, were trying to sell Obsidian to a publisher, effectively saving 200 jobs.
Yep, Chris is totally in the right here. I guess they should have done as he did, quit the company and leave everyone at Obsidian facing unemployment. Congrats Chris, you're a genius and a very brave man.

What you need is a piping hot bowl of..

SHUT THE FUCK UP!:argh:

I have absolutely zero sympathy toward Bethesda and their design habits and *still* I found the loaded questions of this interviewer unbearably annoying.

Can't say I loved too much several of the answers, though. Anyone trying to praise "exploration" in a Bethesda game automatically loses points in my book.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow that interviewer really went after Bethesda. :lol: I wonder what his Codex nick is.

This though:

CA: That's difficult to say from the internal perspective of then and now - and it depends on what design element you're talking about. Story-wise, I can definitely say Fallout 2 did a worse job on many fronts than Fallout 1, for example, and New Vegas did a lot of things even worse than Fallout 2, but did better on the world exploration front than F2 could hope to do based on tech alone (but which F3 and F4 did better, imo). Bethesda definitely has a better design-exploration-aesthetic than any game I've worked on.

fe571bb8ba6923f71228571581a41a13.jpg

Either he has lost it totally due to bitterness or is trying to get a job at Beth. Finally got around to playing Skyrim and apart from a few nice vistas, actual cut pasta locations get old extremely fast with nothing of note(so nothing had changed since the last Beth game I played FO3). How anyone could praise their design-exploration-aesthetic is beyond me unless they were weaseling for a job or shilling.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Can't say I loved too much several of the answers, though. Anyone trying to praise "exploration" in a Bethesda game automatically loses points in my book.
C'-fucking-mon, it is 21 century, where there are around a few hundreds of millions of slaves in modern world, people are vanishing daily to reappear as transplanted organs for your average upper class citizen, amount of violence is off scale, legalized all kinds of vices and deformities - and you want he would say something that everybody already understand and become a hobo?
Or what?

Last edited:

Wizfall

Cipher
I found FNV much better than F3 in everything except for exploration.
Much better locations in F3 overall.
And some very good quests ideas too ruined by poor execution and above all awful writing
In fact the writing was so bad and silly it ruined everything.
Unbelievable and quite incomprehensible such garbage level of writing from professional and even more for a AAA dev.

FNV writing was ok (i mean it made sense and was not silly) but so bland/mundane....completely different than in F1/2.

almondblight

Arcane
You're right, I'm sure it's a perfectly fine reaction to say "you've been a bad boy but if you say you're sorry and don't do it again it's all fine", after seeing your hometown nuclearized and being turned into a ghoul as a result.
Forgive me for doubting the mastery of Pagliarulo and the other geniuses at Bethesda writing departure.

No, it's bad writing, and I'm not defending it (and unlike most people here, I didn't play it). My point is it's idiotic how people think things like shitbombs, Pinky and the Brain and LOL-not-Tom-Cruise are better.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
My point is it's idiotic how people think things like shitbombs, Pinky and the Brain and LOL-not-Tom-Cruise are better.
Your point is pointless, because you are talking about some virtual people, that I hope don't exist on Codex, or if they exist - their opinion doesn't matter much.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Bethesda-style exploration appeals to tens of millions of people at this point.
So does exploding cats, smothering and racism... I hope devs are taking notes! You could take a world by storm by making an RPG where racist cats smother people and then explode. Innovashun is the dev game.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Did you really expect Avellone to publicly talk shit about his new employer while praising the work of his former employer which he left on bad terms?

Are you delusional or something?

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
MCA and Codex being butthurt @ Obsidian is understandable, but sucking up to Bethesda and/or justifying it isn't. Obsidian never delivered on their promise, and that's condemnable. Bethesda is basically EVIL incarnate, Hillary of gaming, and thus should be executed on spot - along with all their employees and customer base.

Decline truly is ever-present and always increasing. In real life, in game development and, finally, on the Codex.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Did you really expect Avellone to publicly talk shit about his new employer while praising the work of his former employer which he left on bad terms?

Are you delusional or something?

No, but I didn't expect him working alongside Satan either. The only way he could redeem his soul is if he goes kamikaze and blows himself up along with Tod Howard and Bethesda office.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
We thought he was Jesus but he turns out to be Mohammad...

Go rape that Aysha 5 MMORPG

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom