Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civ 4 preview - all about nukes

Balor

Arcane
Ahem...
*digs in his table, and gets out a disc*

Microprose antology:

Advanced Civilization
Civilization: Call to Power
Colonization
XCOM:1: UFO, Enemy Unknown
XCOM 2: Terror from the Deep
Master of magic
Master of Orion 1, 2
Bloodnet
Dark Lands
Dargon Sphere
Rex Nebular
The Legacy
Magic the Gathering

Living in Russia does have it's merits.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The anthology is great, indeed.

Llama: I got AC from The Underdogs 2 years ago. Maybe it's still there.

Kraken

Scholar
So what do you guys think about the Master of Orion series? 3 obviously sucked, but I played the first one to death and was pretty happy with the second if I remember right.

Balor

Arcane
MOO2? Cool stuff, obvously. Classic.
I tried the first, but I was way too spoiled by the second one before, so didn't really like it.

NOVD

Scholar
Balor said:
SMAC was by far the best. Civ II really wasn't all that great; Civ III with mods was probably about as good as it was.
Now that is fun - I was just replaying it.
Not just SMAC, but SMAC:AC :) (Alien's Crossfire).

I just love that 'ultra-hitech' theme.
And did I mention that 'tech quotes' are completely kickass?
There are some probs with balance, though - a faction that first gets to cloning vats first is 99.9% winner... unless you play a 'small' world, where you may get eradicated much faster then that, heh.
And copters are kinda overpowered - they can attack up to 20! times a round... provided you deck 'em out with nice addons and the with best weapon, you can wipe out entire armies in one turn.
Much fun doing it, though :).

They're adding the tech quotes in Civ IV, voiced by Leonard Nimoy. Though, judging from the screen shots, the tech quotes suck.

Copters are great if you have a tech lead (which you will pretty certainly have on lower difficulties). Without a tech-lead, they help a ton if you use some shock troops to take out the AAA defenders, but aren't really that over-powered. Cloning vats is over-powered if you have a big faction and can create a lot of sky hydroponics labs (especially if you build cloning vats in conjuction with Cloudbase Academy in AC). Both cloning vats and copters really unbalanced the game, even still, since it allowed a faction's power to shoot up and run-away from the competition's. Anyway, if you play multiplayer, then the game is fairly balanced I think.

Really, one aspect I didn't like was how the AI never took advantage of orbital defense pods and orbital colonies. Also, the workshop didn't work too well, though the ability to create your own units was really cool. But, nevermind, SMAC is by far the best and probably untouchable.

MOO2 is a classic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom