Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CIV III - Time Vortex

SlavemasterT

Arcane
Is there a word for the sinking feeling you get when you finish a game of Civ III and the time counter says
"24 hours, 38 minutes" ?

Section8

Cipher
If that's a continuous stretch of 24h38m, then I believe the word you're looking for is - "holyshitfuckingjesusineedtogoutsideforabit".

LaDoushe

Scholar
But WoW is continuous. You are making progress on the character (hopefully) and moving forward. At the end of a civ session, you simply start again, nothing "gained" from your day of work. I know the sinking feeling well.

SlavemasterT

Arcane
LaDoushe said:
At the end of a civ session, you simply start again, nothing "gained" from your day of work. I know the sinking feeling well.

Not only is there no lasting accomplishment, generally the game has tilted one way or another by about 60% through, and the last half is just a long, slow, inevitable slog that - somehow - you just can't bring yourself to abandon, given the faster-paced, high-stakes struggles at the beginning that you overcame.

I had to uninstall it again, I'm just too prone to get sucked in to endless, mindless gaming sessions with CivIII.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I played some Civ3, though only the vanilla version (that means no X-pacs). I just couldn't get into it for some reason. Don't get me wrong, I played a couple of large maps to completion, but after a few times I just couldn't bring myself to start again. I think the interface was really starting to show its age. Now that I have Civ4, however, I've already sunk 3 or 4 times the amount of time I put into Civ3.

However, I agree with your assement that the later game just doesn't seem to offer the same risks/rewards the early game does. Among other things, some nations will clearly be beat while other nations will have achieved so much in the early game that they can't be beat.

I think the solution to that would be reworking the diplomacy AI. As it is a powerful nation has just as many opportunities to make exploitable alliances as a weak nation. But, if weaker nations were programed to band together more often in the face of a more powerful foe, then the end game could remain interesting.

If nothing else, force a "power tax" on the nations which are well above the game average. For example, slower technology research the further you are ahead of other nations. Or do a Rise of nations and raise the amont of hammers needed to build a unit when you already have several of these units.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom