Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civ4 Total Conversion recs?

dagorkan

Arbiter
Just played the Fall From Heaven: Age of Ice scenario (magic, heroes, scripted plot, random blizzards that transform the geography of the map) which is included with Beyond the Sword, it makes a great game in itself but it's a bit limited in replayability and now I'm looking for something else.

Are there any other good total conversions?

I see there's another Fall From Heaven mod being promoted, how does that compare? What about other settings? Looking for sci-fi/fantasy worlds or anything with inventive new rules. An Alpha Centauri type mod or Empires of the Sun or something based off the Silmarillion would be great.

What about Rhye's and Fall? How different is that from default Civ and how accurate? I prefer not to play on historically accurate maps and settings nowadays but could make an exception. I prefer more limited time spans, more specific goals, more detail and more flavor vs the generic experience.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Is there a mod allowing you, while playing the Germans, to build concentration camps with gaz chambers that will never be used?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
dagorkan said:
Just played the Fall From Heaven: Age of Ice scenario (magic, heroes, scripted plot, random blizzards that transform the geography of the map) which is included with Beyond the Sword, it makes a great game in itself but it's a bit limited in replayability and now I'm looking for something else.

Are there any other good total conversions?

I see there's another Fall From Heaven mod being promoted, how does that compare? What about other settings? Looking for sci-fi/fantasy worlds or anything with inventive new rules. An Alpha Centauri type mod or Empires of the Sun or something based off the Silmarillion would be great.

What about Rhye's and Fall? How different is that from default Civ and how accurate? I prefer not to play on historically accurate maps and settings nowadays but could make an exception. I prefer more limited time spans, more specific goals, more detail and more flavor vs the generic experience.

There is a random map version of Rhye's mod. FFH2 still is not finished, so I'm waiting until it is to play it. It's not that far away, though. Kael told that it will have a campaing with choices that will carry over the different scenarios. You have BTS, have you tried Final Frontier? There you have a Sci-Fi one.

Fez

Erudite
Gragt said:
Is there a mod allowing you, while playing the Germans, to build concentration camps with gaz chambers that will never be used?

:lol:

MrDomino

Novice
The new version of Fall from Heaven (.33) is supposed to be coming out sometime today, and while technically it isn't "complete", that's just because Kael hasn't added everything he's wanted to. It plays like a complete mod already, and .32 was remarkably well balanced considering all the different playstyles it allowed. .33 will apparently feature a card minigame that you can play against other leaders. Pretty amazing what that mod team has been able to do. I can't go back to playing vanilla Civ4 anymore.

dagorkan

Arbiter
I looked at Final Frontier which seems interesting but are there any other TCs apart from FFH and Rhye's mod?

Civ2 and 3 had tons of them.

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Have you tried Planetfall? It's an Alpha Centauri-esque mod for Civ4.

There's also a MOO2 mod, but I haven't tried it, yet. I think it's based on the Final Frontier mod.

I'd suggest scanning the mod forums at civfanatics.com or apolyton.net. There are lots of TCs out there.

Did you try the real FFH? It's the best, IMO.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Slightly OT:

Which total conversion for Civ4 resembles good ol' Master of Magic the most? As things are, there won't be another one of those ever again.

dagorkan

Arbiter
I decided to start playing FFH and what can I say, everybody here must play it. It's the closest to Alpha Centauri I've seen and very well done, every civilization is unique and despite the overpowering of everything it seems fairly balanced.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I've been bored with civ 4 since BTS, I'll probably try FFH. Which one is better the first or the second? Apparently the FFH 2 isn't finished yet, but still can be downloaded.

dagorkan

Arbiter
The second is the real one, the first is pretty good and it gives an introduction to the series but it's more limited, many fewer features. Get 2.33 and then get the patch "d" (it's not immediately obvious which is the most recent, websites/threads aren't up to date) and the media pack. It's not 'finished' but it's 100% playable, it seems the updates are more mini-expansions than bug fixes, there are still a couple civilizations which are not human playable and I guess that's what later additions will be.

There are two manuals, the official one is out of date, Civ Fanatics has a thread with an unofficial one which gives all the civilization, religion, alignment etc info's and mini strategy guides. It doesn't really explain the game mechanics though, you have to read through the civilopedia for that.

As a first game I chose Lanun (neutral pirate/merchant types), all rival civs, on a Huge Erebus map, Epic length. The only thing I'd change is the game speed, epic took a long time to get going. ~turn 200 before I met half the other civs and ~turn 500 before real conflicts began. Also about a quarter of the civs killed each other off in the first hundred turns, most of them evil so there's a slight lack of balance. I would probably start with fewer civs, more balanced on the same map size so they get a chance to develop.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Thanks for the info, I played a bit last night and I'm liking it so far. I was about to uninstall civ 4 too.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
thanks for this thread. fall from heaven 2 is pure awesome.

been playing it for a few weeks now since stumbled over this thread and its indeed the closest you can get to Master of Magic (the best game ever) i guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom